Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I made a spreadsheet tracking my total spend (based on statement amounts) to see when I would get my next 1000 FPQMs. I realize there are some charges, such as the renewal fee, that don't count towards the spending threshold. Nonetheless, I received my last batch of FPQMs about $1100 ahead of my next $5k threshold. Since I was doing the calculation based on statements and not total charges, the only thing I can think of is that fraudulent charges, which I experienced last year, or returns are being counted. Anyone else see this?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:48 pm
RNE

I too track spend and was not due for another 1000 FPQMs, but got them all the same. I have had no chargebacks, returns or fraudulent activity on the card (unless you count as fraud TSMRSRNE's assertion to me that earrings are essential for survival).
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:17 pm

hey guys, i am new to this website, had a couple questions.

i am a presidential plus card holder, i had it with continental and then got switched to united.

i think the card is pretty good for earning miles and use it for everything. i just signed up for the chase palladium card and plan on transfering whatever points i receive with it to united miles. if i can do so, does it make any sense to still havehe presidential plus card? the palladium card has a hefty six hundred dollar AF so i don't want to have the 195 AF of the PP card as well.

any help at all will be much appreciated
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by knicksmets
i think the card is pretty good for earning miles and use it for everything. i just signed up for the chase palladium card and plan on transfering whatever points i receive with it to united miles. if i can do so, does it make any sense to still havehe presidential plus card? the palladium card has a hefty six hundred dollar AF so i don't want to have the 195 AF of the PP card as well. ....
The UA PP card includes United Club membership and can earn PQMs toward MP Platinum or lower status ( Not 1K) -- neither offered by the Chase Palladuim card (believe it does Priority Pass but not good for UC), do either of those (UC & PQMs) have value to you?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:45 pm

Knicksmets,

Welcome!

Okay, first, I don't exactly know why you have the Palladium card at $600.

In fact, I never even heard of that card.

I have the standard Presidential Plus Card that, I believe, is about $375 a year.

Even though I don't fly as much as I used to, I like holding on to the card not only for the miles I earn with its use, but for free baggage/priority security/Priority Luggage/Priority baggage. And, not to forget, access to the clubs.

It's hard enough paying $375 when I don't fly as often as I do --- but when I do fly, those perks are hard not to have. But $600? I think you have the wrong card. I don't know what the Palladium Card offers extra over Presidential Plus, but I would think that the $375 card will offer you the same perks.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:25 pm
RNE

I believe only grandfathered-in cardholders get the $375 annual fee. It's $395 for Johnnies-come-lately. But the questioner appears to be a longtime cardholder, so the $375 figure is probably correct in his case.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:53 pm

Hello
Why keep the Pres Card? Mostly because they don't offer them any more and they give the ability to reach Platinum status through purchases versus flying. You earn 1000 Flex pts for each $5,000 of purchases. Flex points are not miles, but can be used to get you to a higher status level, up to Platinum. If you already fly enough for Platinum every year then it's not as important, except that some of us end up not flying as much some years and the Flex miles you earn toward status with the Pres card come in handy.
I add flex points when ever I am short on Feb 1, and keep my Platinum status for two years.
As to benefits of the two cards they are about the same. I would keep the Pres card.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Knicksmets,

Welcome!

Okay, first, I don't exactly know why you have the Palladium card at $600.

In fact, I never even heard of that card.

I have the standard Presidential Plus Card that, I believe, is about $375 a year.

Even though I don't fly as much as I used to, I like holding on to the card not only for the miles I earn with its use, but for free baggage/priority security/Priority Luggage/Priority baggage. And, not to forget, access to the clubs.

It's hard enough paying $375 when I don't fly as often as I do --- but when I do fly, those perks are hard not to have. But $600? I think you have the wrong card. I don't know what the Palladium Card offers extra over Presidential Plus, but I would think that the $375 card will offer you the same perks.
Don't forget that the PPlus card still offers Avis President's Club membership. That's a benefit I enjoy greatly (especially since we have an exclusive agreement with Avis at work.)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Don't forget that the PPlus card still offers Avis President's Club membership. That's a benefit I enjoy greatly (especially since we have an exclusive agreement with Avis at work.)
Interesting. I've had the Chase Presidential Plus Card for three years, and enjoy having it. At many retail locations, it gets second looks (I live in South Carolina, which may account for this locally.) But I do find National to be much more competitive on rates. I haven't rented from Avis in two years--bad experience picking up a car at their EWR location. Realize you've got your work agreement with them, as you noted. Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by scosprey
Interesting. I've had the Chase Presidential Plus Card for three years, and enjoy having it. At many retail locations, it gets second looks (I live in South Carolina, which may account for this locally.) But I do find National to be much more competitive on rates. I haven't rented from Avis in two years--bad experience picking up a car at their EWR location. Realize you've got your work agreement with them, as you noted. Cheers.
I've had nothing but good experience with Avis. I was a Hertz guy until we signed this exclusive, but I have to say, Avis has been great for me. Our corporate rate can't be beat, I don't have to fill up when returning (they'll refill it at $3/gal) and having the PPlus card means I always get a 2-class upgrade. In addition, in certain cities where we do substantial business, my company actually has dedicated spaces in the rental lot - awesome service all around.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
I'm debating canceling.. i mostly use the sapphire card now, and there are lots of signup bonuses for other cards where i have a minimum spend, so i'm not even earning the EQM any more. The avis boost is nice but rarely used, and at this point my travel schedule is mostly international so i get free lounge access anyway. thinking i might drop the card and reapply for the new version later if i end up doing a lot more domestic.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: One or two :)
Originally Posted by scosprey
But I do find National to be much more competitive on rates.
National upgraded me to their Executive Elite because I had the Avis Presidents club status last year - check out this link - https://statusmatch.emeraldclub.com/
(sorry for off topic post!)
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Our [Avis] corporate rate can't be beat, I don't have to fill up when returning (they'll refill it at $3/gal)
Is this part of your corporate agreement? I don't think my company has that one or maybe I need to look it up.

Last edited by lensman; Jun 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm Reason: clarified that this question was about Avis
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
I love the EQMs on the Presidential Plus card--I have 10,000 right now, which should help me get to Gold this year. I wish they didn't expire, but 3 years is long enough to be useful. Status is worth more to me than the number of miles I get per purchase.

Though UA lounges are crowded, it is extremely helpful when I misconnect and need a human who can help me (though I'm told one can buy UA club passes off eBay for cheap for this purpose). At Silver level, the phone reps still aren't particularly helpful. The lounge reps have helped get me onto earlier flights without charge. Last year when I had no status, my LAX to HNL flight was canceled, and the UA club rep got me on a morning UA flight in first-class, when people with Silver and Gold status were flying coach on American. Well worth the $400/year.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP
Originally Posted by COIAHLGW
National upgraded me to their Executive Elite because I had the Avis Presidents club status last year - check out this link - https://statusmatch.emeraldclub.com/
(sorry for off topic post!)
Thanks much, COIAHLGW. I'll give it a try. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.