Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old May 24, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by infomark
I have about 10K of FEQM sitting in my account, I am hoping (naively I am sure) that at some point they might reconsider the wisdom of making them worthless for plats and above. One thought I had.. Can I gift them to someone else?
Yu can not give them to anyone else. If they are from before 2012 they will not expire and can be used in future years to help get you to 75k. Yes, this stinks.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yu can not give them to anyone else. If they are from before 2012 they will not expire and can be used in future years to help get you to 75k. Yes, this stinks.
Some are, but some are not, however there is no differentiation between the two in my account. How do I know moving forward which expire and which do not?
Old May 24, 2012, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
How do I know moving forward which expire and which do not?
I have n idea. I applied all of my 2011 FEQM to my 2011 EQM balance.
Old May 24, 2012, 3:09 pm
RNE

Some are, but some are not, however there is no differentiation between the two in my account. How do I know moving forward which expire and which do not?
UA has not addressed the matter of accounting for XFEQMs versus NXFEQMs. One supposes ENIAC can do that internally, but it's not on the website yet.

With the cessation of new FEQM-earning credit cards, some—including yours truly—are speculating that UA may end the FEQM program and make all the FEQMs NXFEQMs. Lastly, while FEQMs may currently be useless to would-be 1Ks, one cannot say that will always be the case, nor can one say a 1K will always be a 1K.

RNE, pointing out that rainy day funds exist for a good reason. Be glad—not disappointed—if it doesn't rain and your fund is useless.
Old May 24, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RNE
UA has not addressed the matter of accounting for XFEQMs versus NXFEQMs. One supposes ENIAC can do that internally, but it's not on the website yet.
Reminds me of "old miles" at PMUA, but I think I remember knowing how many of those I had.

Originally Posted by RNE
With the cessation of new FEQM-earning credit cards, some—including yours truly—are speculating that UA may end the FEQM program and make all the FEQMs NXFEQMs.
That will be the day I cancel the expensive card.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
and what do you do with the statement from UA Insider and others that will not work??
Just posting news. This agent knew about Flyertalk and UAInsider, and knew UAI said it wouldn't work, and he said he had done it and it did work. He also floated out that while UA had easily imemented a block on transferring the miles if you were Plat or higher, that UA did not have a mechanism to "retract" the miles and make them not count, and certainly not any way to redeposit or otherwise give those miles back to the customer.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ~tc~
Just posting news. This agent knew about Flyertalk and UAInsider, and knew UAI said it wouldn't work, and he said he had done it and it did work. He also floated out that while UA had easily imemented a block on transferring the miles if you were Plat or higher, that UA did not have a mechanism to "retract" the miles and make them not count, and certainly not any way to redeposit or otherwise give those miles back to the customer.
I wouldn't dubt any of this.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
Originally Posted by ~tc~
wonder if its worth posting 5K FEQM to 2012 and seeing what happens I'm at 68,500 K now

Last edited by infomark; May 25, 2012 at 8:03 pm
Old May 25, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Since UA has killed new pplus card applications, the business value of implementing expiring FEQMS is probably pretty low.

It probably works now, however we shouldn't expect it to work forever.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdraco
Since UA has killed new pplus card applications, the business value of implementing expiring FEQMS is probably pretty low.

It probably works now, however we shouldn't expect it to work forever.
I'd agree -- don't forget that a lot of PPlus cardmembers have migrated to the new card, making that program even smaller.

Sme of us, however, are stuck with the PPlus card as UA won't give lifetime club members the same deal on the new card as we currently get on the old card. Most in that boat also find FEQM to be of close to zero value.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I'd agree -- don't forget that a lot of PPlus cardmembers have migrated to the new card, making that program even smaller.

Sme of us, however, are stuck with the PPlus card as UA won't give lifetime club members the same deal on the new card as we currently get on the old card. Most in that boat also find FEQM to be of close to zero value.
Could you hand me an oar?
Old May 25, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
wonder if its worth posting 5K FEQM to 2012 and seeing what happens I'm at 68,500 K now
That's exactly what I did. I was booked through 97,300 EQM's through mid-July and -- with those kind of miles already on the way -- try AA for a few flights this year and see what happens. I transferred 3,000 feqm's in before I hit 75,000 EQM's last week and we shall see...I have realized post-transfer that it is a miniscule amount overall and I will kick myself in the teeth if I miss out on 213 1K because of this, so I am torn...I just don't know what is the right move. I know that UA cannot redeposit the FEQM's, so I am angry if I burn them by flying one additional flight to obtain the 3,000 EQM's I need to re-qualify for 1K, but will be even more angry if I miss 1K by 3,000 eqm's...ugh...this sucks...
Old May 25, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Oh no! So we've received confirmation that lifetime United Club members can't get a discounted Club Card?
Old May 26, 2012, 4:40 am
RNE

...UA won't give lifetime club members the same deal on the new card...
Originally Posted by lensman
...lifetime United Club members can't get a discounted Club Card
Pig. Poke. Woe.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lensman
Oh no! So we've received confirmation that lifetime United Club members can't get a discounted Club Card?
Yes. That is crrect. It seems that lifetime members are a "small minority" and that essentially it is not worth their time and effort to set up such an arrangement. I was told this several times by a variety of people both at Chase and at UA. Each time the quoted two words were used.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.