Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United iPhone/iPad App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United iPhone/iPad App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 8:44 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by iahkid2014
Not sure if anyone else is having this happen, but just checked my UA app on two different iOS devices and 3 of my 5 current reservations were missing. All of them are still showing up on United.com, but just not in the app. Was able to add them back in with the PNR and last name, but this is strange. Not sure what caused those three reservations to disappear all of the sudden...
Same thing happened to me after the most recent update to the app a few days ago where my single itinerary was missing but like you, I was able to add it back using my PNR and last name
Old May 25, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Even though I am signed in, the United app likes to ask for my password to do certain things within the app. Such as look at my account details, search for award flight or corporate flights. It only lets my search for regular personal flights without asking me to login again. There is an option to increase the time up to 60 mins but no way to disable this annoying behavior. I do not have this problem with other airline apps.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyguy6
Even though I am signed in, the United app likes to ask for my password to do certain things within the app. Such as look at my account details, search for award flight or corporate flights. It only lets my search for regular personal flights without asking me to login again. There is an option to increase the time up to 60 mins but no way to disable this annoying behavior. I do not have this problem with other airline apps.
its UAs way of implementing security. And I don’t have an issue with it.

Given you you can book a ticket through the app with a stored CC, award flight with miles, etc., I certainly don’t have an issue with it. They also let you see summary account info without authentication, but not details. Note that for a revenue purchase, you do have to authenticate at some point, it’s just further int the process than for an award.

Its not much different from the web site, frankly, where you can sort of be logged in all the time, but need to authenticate for certain things.

Not sure how other carrier apps work for purchase, but I consider it a feature, not a bug. If you want to make authentication easier, and you have a phone that is compatible with Touch (or face) ID, set that up.
wavid likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by emcampbe

Given you you can book a ticket through the app with a stored CC, award flight with miles, etc., I certainly don’t have an issue with it. They also let you see summary account info without authentication, but not details. Note that for a revenue purchase, you do have to authenticate at some point, it’s just further int the process than for an award.

Its not much different from the web site, frankly, where you can sort of be logged in all the time, but need to authenticate for certain things.

Not sure how other carrier apps work for purchase, but I consider it a feature, not a bug. If you want to make authentication easier, and you have a phone that is compatible with Touch (or face) ID, set that up.
Bolding mine: It would be nice if the app would allow one to log-in with touch I/D
Old May 26, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: It would be nice if the app would allow one to log-in with touch I/D
it works well for me. If it’s not letting you, log out, then log back in, and it should give you an option to enable Touch ID. I’ve had some Touch ID issues with other apps, but never with UAs. There’s also a place in the settings to toggle Touch ID on/off in the settings part of the app - not sure which one applies for account (I.e, seeing mileage transactions) but it always authenticates that way for me too.

if you don’t manually log out when you’re done, should always let you use Touch ID. At least it always does for me.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it works well for me. If it’s not letting you, log out, then log back in, and it should give you an option to enable Touch ID. I’ve had some Touch ID issues with other apps, but never with UAs. There’s also a place in the settings to toggle Touch ID on/off in the settings part of the app - not sure which one applies for account (I.e, seeing mileage transactions) but it always authenticates that way for me too.

if you don’t manually log out when you’re done, should always let you use Touch ID. At least it always does for me.
With the touch ID setting enabled, occasionally for me it still fails to trigger the touch ID. In those cases I just type in my password, but the touch ID consistently comes back the next time it requires authentication.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
With the touch ID setting enabled, occasionally for me it still fails to trigger the touch ID. In those cases I just type in my password, but the touch ID consistently comes back the next time it requires authentication.

No joy for me on my iPhone 6 running iOS 11.3.1

When I sign in, I am presented with "do you want to use touch I/D to access your account when you sign in" and I select "enable" but it doesn't seem to stick and the only options under settings for touch I/D are to book with miles and book with money (and this happens every time i log in)
Old May 27, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: 1MM UA Gold

When I sign in, I am presented with "do you want to use touch I/D to access your account when you sign in" and I select "enable" but it doesn't seem to stick and the only options under settings for touch I/D are to book with miles and book with money (and this happens every time i log in)
It was very finicky for me too, and I had to “enable” it multiple times before it finally took.

It was very finicky for me too, and I had to “enable” it multiple times before it finally took.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 2018 at 11:42 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 28, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver

I understand that UA needs to (and should) protect certain information, such as CC's. I just wish I could have to do simple things like look at my point activity and search for (but not book) award/corporate fares. I agree that actually booking any flight or accessing private information should require user authentication. For example on the SWA and Delta apps I am able to search for award flights and see a pricing summery but do not have to enter my password until I proceed with the booking.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I recently broke my own advice and changed a flight using the app. It was within 24 hours of booking, so I figured why not - if I can get it done before getting out of bed then it saves finding time to call the 1K desk.

Seamlessly found the flight I needed and did not charge a change fee - watching my card to make sure the (slightly) lower amount posts. I was impressed.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I recently broke my own advice and changed a flight using the app. It was within 24 hours of booking, so I figured why not - if I can get it done before getting out of bed then it saves finding time to call the 1K desk.

Seamlessly found the flight I needed and did not charge a change fee - watching my card to make sure the (slightly) lower amount posts. I was impressed.
IME, UA doesn’t retain the card info. to use again, and legally can’t charge it without your express permission. Even with agents, I’ve asked if they could just use the card I originally used fort the ticket, and they said they need all the info. again. A bit annoying, but I understand it from a security and permission perspective.

Online, in the event of a change, you need to enter the card info again (or select the card from your profile) for approving the fee/upfare charge. Yes, there have been situations where the system has charged more then it should (certain upgrade charges, for example, where there were price bugs), but I don’t see how the system would be able to charge if a card wasn’t supplied for the transaction.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It would be a refund, not a charge (fare was slightly lower because nonstop), and the app claimed "$xx.xx refund to card xXXXX". I'm sure I can call UA if it doesn't post correctly.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Save Passport Data or Not??

I just checked in for an international flight on my iPhone. My passport data (which is on file) was pre propagated as always. When I selected continue a pop up box came up and asked if I wanted to save passport data? I believe in error I clicked do not save and continued. Does this mean that my passport data is now a eraced from UA's system and it won't pre-propagate on future international journeys? Just a little confused. It's something new, and I never noticed it before, have you? Thanks in advance
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I just checked in for an international flight on my iPhone. My passport data (which is on file) was pre propagated as always. When I selected continue a pop up box came up and asked if I wanted to save passport data? I believe in error I clicked do not save and continued. Does this mean that my passport data is now a eraced from UA's system and it won't pre-propagate on future international journeys? Just a little confused. It's something new, and I never noticed it before, have you? Thanks in advance
I think it's hard to say until you try checking in on the app for another intl flight. I've seen that popup for as long as I can remember and I've always selected "save". I'm not sure what selecting the other one does. If anything, you'd just have to take another pic of it.
You could also call UA and have an agent un-check you in, then try re-checking yourself in via the mobile app and see what happens. And if it does happen that your passport data is deleted, re-enter it/save it.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I think it's hard to say until you try checking in on the app for another intl flight. I've seen that popup for as long as I can remember and I've always selected "save". I'm not sure what selecting the other one does. If anything, you'd just have to take another pic of it.
You could also call UA and have an agent un-check you in, then try re-checking yourself in via the mobile app and see what happens. And if it does happen that your passport data is deleted, re-enter it/save it.
Thanks for your point of view, before posting I called in and I spoke to one of the reservation agents she believes it may be device specific but was unsure and she said since your passport is in the record for this reservation it should propagate on the return journey back to the US. She simply stated at that time save it. just additional food for thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.