Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kee81
$100 statement credit for global entry for pre check: united .com /ual/en/us/fly/travel/destination/international/global-entry.html
Older option of redeeming 10,000 United miles for TSA precheck: securityfees.mileageplus.com .....
Ahh, yes ...sorry for the confusion. There are threads on the new Xplorer benefits (will move your post there) and for the TSA with miles -- Use Miles to pay for In-Flight WIFI and TSA Pre-Check

However, don't see any reason you can not do both. Might consider getting Global Entry instead of TSA PreCheck with the statement credit. GE has extra benefits traveling internationally (and include full TSA PreCheck) and UA will cover the full fee.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Is there still a spend level that gets you up to Platinum, assuming you have the PQM?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat
yes, $25k
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Thank you
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Anyone know, if I purchase a wifi subscription with the MileagePlus Explorer card, will I get 25% back? Technically, unlike wifi service, a wifi subscription is not purchased onboard.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Anyone know, if I purchase a wifi subscription with the MileagePlus Explorer card, will I get 25% back? Technically, unlike wifi service, a wifi subscription is not purchased onboard.
Funny, I just read the entire thread because I have the same question.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA
I just got this card this week. Reading the T&C I see the following
A new United Chase primary credit Cardmember will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
The two weeks is date of travel right? i.e. if I book a flight on the card right now for 6 weeks out I should be good to go on the free bag, correct? Or do I need to wait another week to book the ticket?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by br2k
Still have not gotten then 4K credit. Since my annual fee was quietly billed to the card, I called to see if they would wave it. Rep was clearly trained not (and quite giddy about it), so I canceled the card. Guess those 4K points are not happening now.
Looks like Chase isn't really interested in keeping current customers (or may be they just don't like me ) - it's mutual though.
Interesting. Also sought waiver of annual fee. No hesitation in saying not possible, so I said sayonara. (The card offers me little added value because I make elite status without the need for waiver; the lounge passes are about the only thing I might use, and even then not much because most travel is int'l).

Anyway, how long after closing before I can open a new account for bonus should I care to? this account has been open a while, so the 24 month limit shouldn't apply to that . . .
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would wait a month for safety, but it's 24 months from opening that matters.

I have to confess that a single XN CPU might be worth $99...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by findark
I would wait a month for safety, but it's 24 months from opening that matters.

I have to confess that a single XN CPU might be worth $99...
Sounds like the W-fare lottery! (Also don't buy too many award tickets for myself . . . pursuit of status and all).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, so far I have had three years off-and-on of card membership (waived AFs from signup) and have flown zero XN segments (upgraded or otherwise) in that time period

I may very well fly one soon, but I always seem to end up replacing them with cash tickets because finding an Economy award that's worth it is really hard, especially since YN went up to 32.5k.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Interesting. Also sought waiver of annual fee. No hesitation in saying not possible, so I said sayonara. (The card offers me little added value because I make elite status without the need for waiver; the lounge passes are about the only thing I might use, and even then not much because most travel is int'l).

Anyway, how long after closing before I can open a new account for bonus should I care to? this account has been open a while, so the 24 month limit shouldn't apply to that . . .
Canceled my card this week. Other than offering a no-fee card (1 mile for every $2 spent), no attempts were made to keep me as a customer. Last year I was able to get a $100 credit. The United Club passes were pulled from the account almost immediately.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by prometa
Funny, I just read the entire thread because I have the same question.
Alright, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Alright, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.
I have purchased WiFi subscription multiple times usinng the MP CC and can confirm you do not get the discount
prometa likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jdseo327
I have purchased WiFi subscription multiple times usinng the MP CC and can confirm you do not get the discount
Ugh...had you told me this before 1-2 hours ago, I would have used my Sapphire Reserve.

Last edited by STS-134; Dec 1, 2018 at 2:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.