Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:10 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ajnz
So - where can I go to apply for one of the "existing" products? All the United.com and Chase.com links take me to the Explorer card.
No clue -- but if you wanted to try to grab any of them I'd suggest calling into Chase to see if they'll manually take the app (also if you can get to the ICC which deals with this that might be your best bet.)

That said, the best deal out there right now IMHO is the CO PresPlus card but without a clear idea of what it'll evolve into with the merged UA it's hard to say if one should apply now or wait.
Originally Posted by edcho
I believe they pulled all the PMUA cards already. Maybe simply because they knew it was going to be bad.
Honestly I don't think it's that bad. If you really want a pre-UA card call into Chase and just ask to apply manually for it.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:56 pm

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...explorer-card/

Interesting NY Times article about the card. Probably paid for my Chase although it puts a shout-out to this FT thread.
All About Chase’s New United MileagePlus Explorer Card
By RON LIEBER

For United Airlines customers wondering about the fate of their miles-earning credit cards in the wake of the airlines merger with Continental, the airline offered up an answer today. It’s a new Visa card called the MileagePlus Explorer.

The annual fee is $95, which is more than the $60 that many United customers are paying for the entry-level mile-earning Visa currently. But the new card comes with a number of benefits.

Cardholders (and traveling companions on the same reservation) who don’t already have elite status will be able to board early, albeit after everyone with status has already gotten on the plane. Still, this should be sufficient for everyone in that boarding group to find overhead bin space and avoid having to check their bags at the gate.

Big spenders will get an extra 10,000 miles each year once they pass $25,000 in annual spending (and earn the usual one mile per dollar they spend).

Cardholders and one traveling companion will each be able to check one bag for free on United flights, a handy perk for people who don’t carry everything on and don’t get free baggage checking due to their elite status on the airline.

You’ll also get two passes to United’s airport clubs each year. A one-day pass normally costs $39 if you buy it ahead of time online or $50 if you buya pass at the airport. They are good for one person per pass; you don’t get to bring traveling companions along for free.

One thing cardholders won’t get, however, is a waiver on those dreaded 3 percent surcharges for purchases that take place outside of the United States, something that Chase’s more expensive United Club Visa offers.

I asked David Gold, senior vice president for Chase Card Services, if Chase had determined that it didn’t need to offer that perk because customers would forget about the surcharge or shrug their shoulders and use that card outside of the United States anyway rather than switching cards for their trips.

He countered with a more benign explanation. “There are customers who that is a pain point for, and we have a product for that,” he said. “Not every product necessarily needs that.”

People who have the current $60 annual fee Chase United card can keep that card; Chase won’t upgrade you automatically. If you want to upgrade to the new one, you can call the number on the back of your card and ask to make the switch. Chances are, you will not have to change your credit card number (and redo all of your automated monthly payments with billers) if you upgrade.

So those are the basics. For the true mileage junkies out there, however, there are a few more twists.

With this announcement, United is revealing a couple of decisions about how it is settling conflicting rules between its loyalty program rulebook and that of Continental’s OnePass program, according to Mr. Gold.

First off, Continental miles never expire, but United’s do. United’s policy will prevail, but miles will never expire for people with any of the combined company’s credit cards that levy annual fees.

Second, United customers are able to use 50,000 miles to book any seat on the airplane for a domestic flight as long as it’s available for sale; Continental customers face capacity controls when trying to book those seats. Here, Continental’s policy will prevail, but annual-fee paying credit card customers will not face those capacity controls.

Implementation of these special privileges will likely present a formidable information technology challenge to the combined carrier, so watch your program statements closely and appeal up the supervisory ladder if you are not getting what you are supposed to.

If you’re a Chase Continental cardholder, you may be wondering what this all means for you. The combined airline intends for the United Explorer card to become the standard miles-earning card; people who have Chase’s Continental OnePass Plus card will soon receive whatever benefits the Explorer card offers that the Plus card doesn’t already.

Then, sometime next year, the Continental cardholders will receive new Explorer cards to replace their Continental cards. Here too, Chase hopes to spare everyone the hassle of having to switch credit card numbers.

As always, the mileage experts on FlyerTalk are picking these developments apart if you want to learn even more. Feel free to post your own assessment of the new card below as well. Will you elect to pay more than 50 percent more in annual fees to access these new perks?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
When are we going to get answers to the questions in this thread?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by 1k650
You're supposed to like these changes that SMI/J thinks you'll like and not ask so many questions.

That said, Chase can rip my UA MP Select Visa Signature card out of my cold dead hands. I'll just move my every day spending back to my Schwab Visa if they ax it.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
Interesting NY Times article about the card. Probably paid for my Chase...
This is not the News of the World we are talking about here!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Indeed please also take a look at your European card offerings! A Dutch or German card with these benefits would be nice! Now United is really shortcoming their international customers by offering all these benefits USA only.
I agree. An Aussie card would be nice too. Lack of demand I suppose...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:53 pm

Any Continental folks notice the downgrade of the baggage benefit?

Only 2 pax in a reservation get a free checked bag. It was 8 with the OnePass Plus card. A big benefit reduction if you had a family of 4 or more you took on trips.

At least that's how this article interprets it

http://milecards.com/1696/sneak-peek...r-credit-card/
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:01 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Answers to some, but not all, of your questions

Hi Everyone, below are answers to some, but not all, of your questions. They won't go unanswered. But, to ensure you're getting the right information, I've sought further clarification on some myself. Once I have the scoop, I'll let you know.

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Quick question regarding upgrades on domestic reward flights for cardholders who are also elites... Will we be able to enjoy this benefit on the domestic segments as part of an international award itinerary? . . . What about on a three cabin aircraft?
Hi golfingboy, yes, this benefit is valid for the domestic portion of an international itinerary. I also believe these upgrades are valid when traveling domestically on a three cabin aircraft from Business to First. This benefit is simply an extension of the already existing elite upgrade benefit that was previously only valid on revenue tickets.

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Where will Elites on reward tickets fall in UDU priority? Will we still remain in our Elite tier bucket (GS, 1K, 1P, 2P), or will we fall behind all other Elites on rev tickets?
Hi CLEguy, these upgrades will be prioritized in elite tier order, followed by fare class. For example, 1K members on revenue tickets will be cleared, followed by 1K members on award tickets, followed by Premier Executive members on revenue, and so on.

Originally Posted by av8r316
Is this the only CC United plans to offer for the foreseeable future? It's currently the only US based card on united.com, and I'd like to know whether or not there will be more in the lineup. I had been hoping for a Presidential Plus type card.
Hi av8r316, the new MileagePlus Explorer card is the first card that has been introduced, but, as you may expect there's more to come in the next year.

Originally Posted by UAL1200
I asked this question on the other Explorer thread, but I'm asking it again here on the official one: Does the 25K bonus apply to those who have existing Chase credit and Mileage Plus accounts?
The wording seems like only existing/previous MP Chase Visa accounts are ineligible.
Hi UAL1200, your interpretation is correct. The 25K mileage enrollment bonus only applies to new Cardmembers, and does not apply to current Mileage Plus and OnePass Chase Cardmembers who switch to these cards.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Exec, Dividend Miles Gold, HHonors Diamond
Extra 20K bonus for Elites, flight redemption via MP Choices points

I noticed that the targeted Elite-level 50K RDM bonus for the old 3rd-level MP Signature card that's been all over my view of the united.com website lately has been replaced today by a "60K" promo (50K upfront + 10K based on minimum spend) for the new MP Explorer card. When clicking on these ads, I would be directed to the regular 40K promo page (https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPConsumer40kAFW.aspx) until I had first logged into my MP account, then it would properly display the additional 20K bonus (https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPElite60kAFW.aspx).

In addition to the benefits that have been mentioned earlier on this thread, which basically match the OP Plus card plus early boarding, there are other benefits listed as ongoing promotions at http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1261,00.html. They aren't new for MP Visa cardholders, but IIRC they are better than OP Plus...

These Mileage Plus Choices redemption options mimic the benefit offered by "generic" travel credit cards, which allow you to redeem points to apply toward a ticket purchased on the card. http://www.united.com/choiceshowtoair. This allows you to use miles to defray your cost while still earning EQMs on the flights. The only catch is that you can only redeem miles that were earned from the credit card, not your (larger) general bank of miles.

BTW, if you've never seen the Continental cards in person before, it's pretty cool IMHO. In addition to the subtle background design that is visible in web/print advertising, it features a matte finish--surprisingly feels more premium than the standard glossy cards that just get all scratched up with use. I'm curious if the MP Explorer card will keep the same finish.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by 1k650
I'm actually astounded by all the "questions" on this topic. I think it's pretty clear exactly what the intent is and what will happen with the cards:

There's 3 United cards today.

The Explorer is clearly targeted as a direct replacement of the MP Select card. Similar benefits and similar cost (and I can't believe people complaining about $10/yr more). It's also clear that it's nearly an exact duplicate of the Onepass Plus card in terms of benefits. Very real loss in terms of 3x points and the 5k MQMs, but I'm sure they're not coming back.

There will be a replacement for the lounge card. It will have the features of (drum roll) the exact same card on the CO side, just like the Explorer is a copy of the Onepass Plus (with maybe a minor tweak or two). It will probably give you 1k flex MQMs for each $5k you spend, just like the CO PP, which means it's pretty much better in all ways that the UA card (but it costs $20/yr more).

The only real question is if they will be releasing a low-end card to replace the UA Visa Signature $60, but that's probably doubtful; all the other airlines only have 2 cards, including CO. So hold on to that one if you want. Though I don't see a reason to use it when the CO (er UA rather) Explorer is only $35/yr more.

No mysteries here and generally fair trades, unless you're like that guy who buys $21k of UA tickets in a month, who, I will admit, got screwed. For the rest of us it shouldn't matter much.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HHonors Gold, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, as you are now well aware, we’re introducing an all-new MileagePlus Explorer Card, which will replace our MileagePlus Signature card from this point forward. Based on the success of the OnePass Plus card, we’ve come up with an unmatched set of features designed to make to travel experience better - at the airport and beyond.

Here are the key benefits and details:
  • First checked bag free – Cardmembers and up to one traveling companion will receive their first checked bag free when traveling on United and Continental – worth up to $100 per roundtrip.

• Priority boarding – Beginning July 23, 2011, Cardmembers will be able to board United and Continental flights immediately after elites and prior to general boarding, so they have earlier access to overhead space and can relax as the rest of the plane boards.
    Worth noting: We know how important boarding is and this benefit has been carefully designed so as to not impact the priority boarding benefit enjoyed by elite members. Having said this, when traveling on Continental-operated flights Cardmembers will temporarily have “EliteAccess” printed on their boarding pass and will board via the carpeted lane. This will only be until our systems are updated to support a zoned boarding process (coming soon).
  • United airport club passes – Each year, Cardmembers will receive two United airport club passes on their membership anniversary date – a $100 value.

• Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.

• Redeem MileagePlus miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight – If seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the Standard Award level. There are no restrictions or blackout dates – a benefit that will be reserved for Cardmembers and Elite travelers beginning in early 2012.
    Worth noting: Yes, this does mean last-seat availability for EasyPass/Standard awards will be limited to Cardmembers and Elite members in the new program.
  • Double miles on United tickets – Cardmembers will earn two miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased with the Card from United and Continental.

• Miles bonus – 10,000 additional bonus miles with $25,000 or more in eligible spend each calendar year.

• Miles do not expire – Miles earned in the MileagePlus program by Explorer Cardmembers will not expire as long as program members are MileagePlus Explorer Cardmembers.

• Access to exclusive events and unique activities with Inside Access from Chase.

• Access to The Luxury Hotel and Resorts Collection, which offers exclusive cardmember amenities such as complimentary breakfast and space-available upgrades at a selection of over 700 of the finest hotels, resorts, lodges and spas around the world.
Already have a OnePass MasterCard or MileagePlus Visa? As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is, or you may be eligible to switch over to the MileagePlus Explorer card. To request a trade, simply call the number on the back of your card. If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.

To learn more, and to apply for the card, please visit UnitedExplorerCard.com.

I’m sure there are many questions out there. Please post them here and we’ll do our best to answer. As always, thanks for your feedback!

Shannon Kelly
United Airlines
The OP neglected to mention what happens to those of us who have both the UA and CO cards from before the merger. Cancel both and upgrade? Cancel one? If so, which one should I cancel?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:22 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by UA Insider

Hi golfingboy, yes, this benefit is valid for the domestic portion of an international itinerary. I also believe these upgrades are valid when traveling domestically on a three cabin aircraft from Business to First. This benefit is simply an extension of the already existing elite upgrade benefit that was previously only valid on revenue tickets.

Shannon Kelly
United Airlines
Thank you Shannon/Scott!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down

I fail to see any significant advantages of this "new" card.

I don't book domestc Y award. Priority boarding? Free luggage? I am 1K.

My old MP signature card works fine. In fact, I prefer 3X bonus miles on united purchases. New card only gives 2X. I buy $60000 per year on UA, that is a loss of 60000 miles.

I worry that this new card will replace my old card.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by xianrocker
The OP neglected to mention what happens to those of us who have both the UA and CO cards from before the merger. Cancel both and upgrade? Cancel one? If so, which one should I cancel?
I'm hoping the accounts can be combined so I don't have to close either card. this may be hopeful thinking though.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
they can pry my MP Plat Visa out of my cold dead hands!
......Best reply yet. I'm with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.