Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:51 am
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
Originally Posted by ryman554
How is this a benefit?

I thought the standard awards always worked this way -- if there is a a seat to be sold (ie, Y > 0), you can get a standard award.
I'm just quoting their pr--benefit I dont think so. No change for elites but everyone else who does not not have cc is out of luck apparently in 2012.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
How is this a benefit?

I thought the standard awards always worked this way -- if there is a a seat to be sold (ie, Y > 0), you can get a standard award.
Read the OP--this is going away for GMs. Which to me makes zero sense and is pretty insane, especially from a program that heavily markets itself as "any seat, any time [just for an outrageous amount of miles]."
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, AS GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Is this the only CC United plans to offer for the foreseeable future? It's currently the only US based card on united.com, and I'd like to know whether or not there will be more in the lineup. I had been hoping for a Presidential Plus type card.

Last edited by av8r316; Jul 19, 2011 at 9:35 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.
Hi Shannon, thanks for the info. Where will Elites on reward tickets fall in UDU priority? Will we still remain in our Elite tier bucket (GS, 1K, 1P, 2P), or will we fall behind all other Elites on rev tickets?

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
How is this a benefit?

it's just marketed as a benefit - they're really just taking the standard option away from MP members who are not elite or do not have one of the UA/CO CC's. Big for this change (even though it doesn't impact me personally).
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:42 am

Mildly disappointing - UDU on awards is the primary nice feature. Basically an annual fee hike from the current card without more noticeable things (at least from perspective of an elite flyer, different story if you're not). Doubt the 1k fee waiver will cover this, but we'll see.

Hopefully there's an upgraded version (of course including a larger fee) with something like EQM/RCC/Avis/etc.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Sigh...these cards never seem to do it for me.

I'm still waiting for the Jeff Smisek FINEST People in the Business Signature Visa.

Key benefits would be:

- Fee waived specialty cocktails in First Class.
- $10 Bed Bath and Beyond Credit for each CO/UA ticket purchased so you can buy a pillow for your trip.
- Exclusive discounts to Flowbee to help achieve that Smisek-like hair volume.
- Discounts at a network of chiropractors when you pay for chiropractic services with the card and show a CO economy BP from the previous seven (7) days.
- Annual renewal gift selection including a "Rah! Rah! We're the best" vuvuzela or a gift basket of Fresh Brew coffee.
- 1% of all purchases donated to the CO IRROPS Victim Relief Fund.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:56 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Thanks Shannon!

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by G2244
1) For those of us with the MP Select Visa, are the card benefits changing in any way? This is a great card for me and I am concerned about it no longer being offered.
Already have a OnePass MasterCard or MileagePlus Visa? As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is...
I would guess that one can keep their existing account, existing benefits, and existing annual fees based on what they currently have (and if so a big YES ^^^ for the 25% RDM bonus for PresPlus!)

Originally Posted by G2244
2) Will there continue to be the equivalent of the Presidential Plus card? It appears to still be there on the CO site but the United site only has the new Explorer card (no club card that I can see).
Hoping current PresPlus card members can keep what they've got as that card offers far more value than the corresponding UA Club Card, and I'd *guess* that's what will happen based on Shannon's post.

But in any event, I suspect the merged UA will have some lounge credit card product offering going forward.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JAaronT
Read the OP--this is going away for GMs. Which to me makes zero sense and is pretty insane, especially from a program that heavily markets itself as "any seat, any time [just for an outrageous amount of miles]."
Good catch. That is very disappointing if it points to doing away with unrestricted standard redemptions for general MP members....

I'm debating transferring a boatload of AMEX MR points to CO/UA before the transfer ends in September, but could also transfer to Delta to make use of the 50% bonus.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Sigh...these cards never seem to do it for me.

I'm still waiting for the Jeff Smisek FINEST People in the Business Signature Visa.

Key benefits would be:

- Fee waived specialty cocktails in First Class.
- $10 Bed Bath and Beyond Credit for each CO/UA ticket purchased so you can buy a pillow for your trip.
- Exclusive discounts to Flowbee to help achieve that Smisek-like hair volume.
- Discounts at a network of chiropractors when you pay for chiropractic services with the card and show a CO economy BP from the previous seven (7) days.
- Annual renewal gift selection including a "Rah! Rah! We're the best" vuvuzela or a gift basket of Fresh Brew coffee.
- 1% of all purchases donated to the CO IRROPS Victim Relief Fund.
This card would be worth its weight in gold. And by worth I mean about $.02. Or $1MM, I'm not sure.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
When it says "upgrade the way you do now"...what exactly does that entail? Only UDU? Will CR1's and SWU's be valid on award tix? What about international flights... will saver awards, XY/NY, be upgradeable with a SWU? What about XC to NF?

EDITED: I guess I should have read a bit more carefully.. it says domestic. So I guess SWU's and CR1's will work but only in region 1.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Jul 19, 2011 at 10:23 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I suspect we'll go the way of the new DL with three levels. "Saver" then "Standard" (which will book into something low like V or T class) and "Any Seat" which will book into Y at 3x the miles instead of 2x
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Good catch. That is very disappointing if it points to doing away with unrestricted standard redemptions for general MP members....
Frankly, I don't know how you'd be a standard member without a credit card AND accumulate enough miles to do "standard" awards. Usually the cardmembers who are non-elites are teh ones who are racking up the miles, it really doesn't make sense.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Indeed please also take a look at your European card offerings! A Dutch or German card with these benefits would be nice! Now United is really shortcoming their international customers by offering all these benefits USA only.
Same gripe here from Canada.

If you don't offer a credit card with the benefits mentioned in a given market, why not offer it as a non-credit benefit card for a yearly fee?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I think I will hold out until a future version comes out that comes with lounge access.. and will just roll my RCC memberhip into the card. Perhaps that card will include another perk in place of the 2 RCC passes. I'm happy for my current 1K fee waiver but I think I'd pay something to be able to upgrade award tickets.

I also want a more pretentious name.. Explorer sounds like it's for Cub Scouts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.