Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dliber2001
Pros:
EQMs (now PQMs) for every US$5000 purchased gets you 1000 EQMs (PQMs). Better than the Mileage Plus Visa Signature (Explorer does not have this option).
Same mileage bonuses as Mileage Plus Visa Signature.
Hyatt Platinum Status.
Club Access to both United and all Star Alliance.
No foreign transaction fee (Mileage Plus Visa Signature and Explorer both still have foreign transaction fees when used overseas)

Cons:
US$395 per year (no 1K fee waiver)
Welcome to FlyerTalk dliber2001!!

I thought they canceled the Hyatt benefit?
Also, it looks like the Presidential Plus card is ending, being replaced with the MileagePlus Club card (Visa)

Last edited by joshwex90; Mar 11, 2012 at 7:03 am
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:21 am
RNE

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Also, it looks like the Presidential Plus card is ended, being replaced with the MileagePlus Club card (Visa)
Do you think "ended" is an apt characterization for a mere name change?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Do you think "ended" is an apt characterization for a mere name change?
Absolutely, as it is ending. The name isn't simply changing. It's a different card. Even if every single thing about it remains the exact same, it's technically a different card. It's a Visa, not a MC. And it will be different, at least based on reports here on from Chase agents, than the PPlus card.

Last edited by joshwex90; Mar 11, 2012 at 9:34 am Reason: silly typo
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:10 am
RNE

Originally Posted by joshwex90
The name is simply changing. It's a different card.
Non sequitur.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Non sequitur.
Typo, but fixed. Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:17 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Explore
The UA/Chase Explorer Card reportedly offers a free space-available upgrade benefit to 1Ks (and other elites?) traveling on award tickets. GS members receive award ticket upgrades without needing an Explorer Card.

So, has anyone received a free upgrade on an award ticket using an Explorer Card? Is there a web page that provides details?

Here are some questions:

- Do you need to charge taxes to the Explorer Card to qualify? Or register interest some other way on a flight-by-flight basis? Otherwise, how does UA know you have the Explorer Card?
- Can you get upgraded before the flight goes to airport control, or is it only at the airport?
- What are the geographic limitations? If you redeem for a business class award, can you get upgraded to first on p.s. or other 3-class North American flights?
- How are you ranked in the queue - it is status first, then fare paid, and how does a saver award fare rank with other fares?
- Has anyone gotten upgraded with the Explorer Card privilege? Details please.
It appears the 1k Explorer upgrade system is now in effect. I just received notification that my domesitic saver award ticket from IAD to SFO on Monday 3/19 was upgraded to First (4 days before the flight). Too bad my plans have recently changed and will need to cancel the award flight.

I did not do anything special to "link" the card with my account (outside of initially providing my Mileage Plus # to deposit miles). However, I did pay the taxes with the Explorer card just in case.

I'm pleased to see that 1k Explorer award upgrade system working. Next month I'm flying to Maui with my wife on award tickets. While I may be upgraded, via the Explorer feature, I do not believe my wife (on the same record) will be eligible. Of course, we all know who will be sitting in First and how will stay behind in Coach.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Does anyone know how many authorized users can be added to an account?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PBAudit
It appears the 1k Explorer upgrade system is now in effect. I just received notification that my domesitic saver award ticket from IAD to SFO on Monday 3/19 was upgraded to First (4 days before the flight). Too bad my plans have recently changed and will need to cancel the award flight.

I did not do anything special to "link" the card with my account (outside of initially providing my Mileage Plus # to deposit miles). However, I did pay the taxes with the Explorer card just in case.

I'm pleased to see that 1k Explorer award upgrade system working. Next month I'm flying to Maui with my wife on award tickets. While I may be upgraded, via the Explorer feature, I do not believe my wife (on the same record) will be eligible. Of course, we all know who will be sitting in First and how will stay behind in Coach.
In another thread, people are reporting that all elites on award tickets are getting put on the upgrade list, regardless of CC. In fact, a 1K on a revenue ticket didn't get an upgrade that another 1K on an award ticket (who definitely didn't have any UA/CO credit cards) got. So, unclear if the MileagePlus Explorer linkage is actually kicking in or if there's an error (or a "new process in place").
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:37 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Question

I clicked on the Explorer Card ad that appears on every page of this thread, and didn't see any mention of the award ticket benefit. My Elite status gives me all the other bennies.

Has the award ticket upgrade benefit been eliminated?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by snake
I clicked on the Explorer Card ad that appears on every page of this thread, and didn't see any mention of the award ticket benefit. My Elite status gives me all the other bennies.

It appears to be an unpublished benefit. However there has announced in the initial post.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, as you are now well aware, we’re introducing an all-new MileagePlus Explorer Card, which will replace our MileagePlus Signature card from this point forward. Based on the success of the OnePass Plus card, we’ve come up with an unmatched set of features designed to make to travel experience better - at the airport and beyond.

Here are the key benefits and details:
  • First checked bag free – Cardmembers and up to one traveling companion will receive their first checked bag free when traveling on United and Continental – worth up to $100 per roundtrip.

• Priority boarding – Beginning July 23, 2011, Cardmembers will be able to board United and Continental flights immediately after elites and prior to general boarding, so they have earlier access to overhead space and can relax as the rest of the plane boards.
    Worth noting: We know how important boarding is and this benefit has been carefully designed so as to not impact the priority boarding benefit enjoyed by elite members. Having said this, when traveling on Continental-operated flights Cardmembers will temporarily have “EliteAccess” printed on their boarding pass and will board via the carpeted lane. This will only be until our systems are updated to support a zoned boarding process (coming soon).
  • United airport club passes – Each year, Cardmembers will receive two United airport club passes on their membership anniversary date – a $100 value.

• [B]Upgrades on Reward tickets for ElitesMileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.[/B]

• Redeem MileagePlus miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight – If seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the Standard Award level. There are no restrictions or blackout dates – a benefit that will be reserved for Cardmembers and Elite travelers beginning in early 2012.
    Worth noting: Yes, this does mean last-seat availability for EasyPass/Standard awards will be limited to Cardmembers and Elite members in the new program.
  • Double miles on United tickets – Cardmembers will earn two miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased with the Card from United and Continental.

• Miles bonus – 10,000 additional bonus miles with $25,000 or more in eligible spend each calendar year.

• Miles do not expire – Miles earned in the MileagePlus program by Explorer Cardmembers will not expire as long as program members are MileagePlus Explorer Cardmembers.

• Access to exclusive events and unique activities with Inside Access from Chase.

• Access to The Luxury Hotel and Resorts Collection, which offers exclusive cardmember amenities such as complimentary breakfast and space-available upgrades at a selection of over 700 of the finest hotels, resorts, lodges and spas around the world.
Already have a OnePass MasterCard or MileagePlus Visa? As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is, or you may be eligible to switch over to the MileagePlus Explorer card. To request a trade, simply call the number on the back of your card. If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.

To learn more, and to apply for the card, please visit UnitedExplorerCard.com.

I’m sure there are many questions out there. Please post them here and we’ll do our best to answer. As always, thanks for your feedback!

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
2 free United Club passes

Are 2 free United Club passes good for any person regardless of what airline they are flying on?
E.g. can I give a pass to a friend flying a domestic non-Star-Alliance flight and they can get into the United Club one time (even with me not present and him having no UA mileage account)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:48 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
Are 2 free United Club passes good for any person regardless of what airline they are flying on?
E.g. can I give a pass to a friend flying a domestic non-Star-Alliance flight and they can get into the United Club one time (even with me not present and him having no UA mileage account)
Yes.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by snake

Home > MileagePlus > Use miles > Upgrades overview

This has always been listed on the United Site.

Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets

Also, here:

Home > MileagePlus > Use miles > Upgrades overview > Complimentary Premier Upgrades

Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:20 pm

churning Explorer card

Until several years ago, I regularly churned Chase's United-branded credit card. Eventually, chase caught on, and while they would issue me new cards, they would not give me the mileage bonuses.

Now that Chase markets its United-branded card as Explorer, any chance I'd be able to get a sign up bonus one more time? Ditto for Explorer business card, too.

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PBAudit

I want to see if there are more experiences on this front:

1 - do you have to charge the taxes to the card?
2 - does the award ticket has to be issued after you get the card? If yes, how do you make things happen for existing reservations?
3 - does the kind of card matter on the priority? (It does not seem so according to the description on http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont....aspx?Mobile=1 .)

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.