Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Looking at the Benefits guide of the MileagePlus Explorer,
in addition to the highlighted features,
looks like it has some perks that is even better than that of Sapphire Preferred's.

1) Price Protection

The MP Explorer will refund you the price difference within 90 days of purchase if you see it cheaper elsewhere, Online included! ( no eBay though )

( Up to $500 / item ) The Sapphire Preferred doesn't match Online.

2) Higher purchase Protection limits

MP Explorer reimburse up to $10,000 / claim if your purchase is stolen / damaged
Sapphire Preferred only covers a mere $500 / claim

3) Roadside Assistance

MP Explorer covers $50 / service call or ( 2 free gallon of gas if you ran out of gas )

While the Sapphire Preferred can help you find a tow truck, all charges is your responsibility.

4) Primary CDW for Car Rental
While some of that looks great, I was a little disappointed when I activated my card. First, the card is not a Visa Signature, just a regular Visa. Don't know why. Perhaps connected to this, I was told that the car rental insurance is secondary and not primary.
They also lowered my credit line from my OnePass Plus card.

However, they did tell me that I will get 2 UC passes in 8-12 weeks, which is weird. I thought you don't get those until your first anniversary.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
First, the card is not a Visa Signature, just a regular Visa. Don't know why. Perhaps connected to this, I was told that the car rental insurance is secondary and not primary.
Is your credit line $5000 or more?

The MP Explorer is issued as a Visa Signature card if you are approved for a $5000 / higher CL.

Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is your credit line $5000 or more?

The MP Explorer is issued as a Visa Signature card if you are approved for a $5000 / higher CL.
The credit line was lowered for some reason. If I get it higher again, will they automatically send me a new card that's a Signature?

And is that why the car rental insurance is secondary and not primary?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:50 pm

What to do?

I have an old Visa Signature MP card (with a long credit history that I'd like to keep, annual fee in August) and a new (June 2011) CO OnePass Plus card that I got for points. I don't have any UA or CO status now (not much travel last year) so the CO free bag and priority boarding are nice. The CO card is still in its 1st year so no annual fee til June. I also have a low limit PriorityClub card that I also got last year for PC points that I don't really want/use at all. I'm unlikely to reach even 2P status with UA/CO this year.

I'd like to:
1. keep the credit history of the UA card
2. pay only one annual fee
3. keep the "priority" benefits of the CO (or new MP Explorer card)
4. collect any points for any conversion

How best to proceed?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:10 pm

The credit line was lowered for some reason. If I get it higher again, will they automatically send me a new card that's a Signature?

And is that why the car rental insurance is secondary and not primary?
It is not automatic. However you should be about to request a new card to be sent to you once you get a $5000 / higher CL.

For the car rental insurance, check your benefits guide to make sure.
Sometimes the reps are unaware of the details of these benefits.

Originally Posted by jc719
I have an old Visa Signature MP card (with a long credit history that I'd like to keep, annual fee in August) and a new (June 2011) CO OnePass Plus card that I got for points. I don't have any UA or CO status now (not much travel last year) so the CO free bag and priority boarding are nice. The CO card is still in its 1st year so no annual fee til June. I also have a low limit PriorityClub card that I also got last year for PC points that I don't really want/use at all. I'm unlikely to reach even 2P status with UA/CO this year.

I'd like to:
1. keep the credit history of the UA card
2. pay only one annual fee
3. keep the "priority" benefits of the CO (or new MP Explorer card)
4. collect any points for any conversion

How best to proceed?
Leave the old UA card alone for now.

Then apply for the UA Explorer Card with the 60K bonus now, ( first year annual fee is waived.)

( Do not cancel your CO card first, as you might need to allocate credit line from it to your new MP Explorer card )

Then cancel your CO card before annual fee is due again in June.

Cancel your new MP Explorer card before annual fee is due in Jan 2013.

Then finally, convert your old UA card to MP Explorer ( if Chase haven't yet at this point convert it automatically ).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by UAL1200
I did ask a rep about priority boarding: You only need to show the card to get priority boarding; meaning that a reservation does not need to be paid with this card in order to get access.
That is exactly the opposite of what a very unfriendly rep told me the other day (after a 20 minute hold, a two minute talk, and another 12 minute hold). She insisted the reservation had to be paid with the card.

I was asking because on my previous flights after getting this card, I had Zone 1 printed on my boarding pass. In this case, I had Zone 4.

I went to the gate in Brussels and asked them about it and they told me to board through the priority boarding after the elites, which I did (no one checked anything anyway).

Given that people crowd around the boarding area so much, it's sometimes not even possible to board in Zone 1. They call Zone 1, no one immediately appears because only a couple people have it and they can't reach the line quickly, then they call Zone 2 and everyone rushes forward.

I don't understand why every airline tolerates this behavior. There should be some clear zone you can only stand in if you are actively boarding.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do not cancel your CO card first, as you might need to allocate credit line from it to your new MP Explorer card
You can allocate some of the credit line from the OnePass Plus to the Explorer?

Originally Posted by MaputoBound
That is exactly the opposite of what a very unfriendly rep told me the other day (after a 20 minute hold, a two minute talk, and another 12 minute hold). She insisted the reservation had to be paid with the card.

I was asking because on my previous flights after getting this card, I had Zone 1 printed on my boarding pass. In this case, I had Zone 4.

I went to the gate in Brussels and asked them about it and they told me to board through the priority boarding after the elites, which I did (no one checked anything anyway).

Given that people crowd around the boarding area so much, it's sometimes not even possible to board in Zone 1. They call Zone 1, no one immediately appears because only a couple people have it and they can't reach the line quickly, then they call Zone 2 and everyone rushes forward.

I don't understand why every airline tolerates this behavior. There should be some clear zone you can only stand in if you are actively boarding.
Agreed on the boarding, though recently, the GAs in TLV have shown noticeable improvement (they used to be awful).

They board BusinessFirst, then Plat. They then board Gold/Silver, then by row. They make it clear that if you haven't been invited to board, they won't let you board, and they've started enforcing it. They also have other agents at the entrance to the line making sure you're not standing there. You can either get on line or move over.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:02 pm

You can allocate some of the credit line from the OnePass Plus to the Explorer?
Yes, you can. Just note that:

- Both accounts must be open at the time of the request.
An open account cannot be consolidated with a closed
account.

- Neither account can be overlimit or past due.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you can. Just note that:

- Both accounts must be open at the time of the request.
An open account cannot be consolidated with a closed
account.

- Neither account can be overlimit or past due.
If I'm about to close my OPP, can I consolidate the credit limit, and THEN close it, or will they lower the limit?

How do I consolidate the cl?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:04 pm

Leave the old UA card alone for now.

Then apply for the UA Explorer Card with the 60K bonus now, ( first year annual fee is waived.)

( Do not cancel your CO card first, as you might need to allocate credit line from it to your new MP Explorer card )

Then cancel your CO card before annual fee is due again in June.

Cancel your new MP Explorer card before annual fee is due in Jan 2013.

Then finally, convert your old UA card to MP Explorer ( if Chase haven't yet at this point convert it automatically ).
I can't find a 60k bonus link -- just 40k. I'm only a UA GM. Do I have to be elite for 60k?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM
So, just to make this perfectly clear, these new cards are not issued automatically to One Pass Plus holders? So I will have to apply to one of these, and after I get it cancel my One Pass card?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:13 pm

If I'm about to close my OPP, can I consolidate the credit limit, and THEN close it, or will they lower the limit?

How do I consolidate the cl?
Yes you can request that by calling the number on the back of your card.

To consolidate an entire credit line, the account to be closed must have a zero balance and no activity for at least three months. The account that is to be closed will
have its credit line decreased to zero.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by jc719
I can't find a 60k bonus link -- just 40k. I'm only a UA GM. Do I have to be elite for 60k?
It's really a 50K bonus offer, the additional 10K requires a $25K spend.

Some GMs have received invitation for the 60K offer. Not sure is there a open public link though.

Last edited by Ragnarok; Jan 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by InterFlyer
So, just to make this perfectly clear, these new cards are not issued automatically to One Pass Plus holders? So I will have to apply to one of these, and after I get it cancel my One Pass card?
I do not know whether or not Chase will automatically issue new MP Explorer cards to OnePass Plus card holders.

However I don't think you will get the sign up bonus for the Explorer card if Chase convert your existing card.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:22 pm

I do not know whether or not Chase will automatically issue new MP Explorer cards to OnePass Plus card holders.

However I don't think you will get the sign up bonus for the Explorer card if Chase convert your existing card.

Im new to this forum...
I been reading this thread and i got a question...
Im currently with Visa United Plus... if i upgrade my creditcard to the new explorer plus... would i also get the 40K miles?

THank

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.