Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
But that's true of any mileage card. What's the unique allure about THIS card? The MP Select is much better, especially for elites.
This card offers miles for UA/CO. Other cards offer miles in programs that may not be as helpful to flyers. Or, perhaps, unlike the Capital One cards, people prefer to bank the miles to their existing accounts, as opposed to to a new, Capital One account. Again, the free bag is great too.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:06 pm

Just went through the process of matching my CO status to UA to get the higher offer for this card. Have the OPP card and have had it for about 18 months, hopefully there won't be any issues here.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by UAL1200
I couldn't tell from your post, but did you purchase this trip yet? The free checked bag only applies to reservations purchased with the card. This requirement does not apply to the priority boarding privilege though.

I fly out of ORD in about a week, so I guess I'll let you know how smoothly it goes (or lack of).
Would be great to know how the card works. I'm thinking of getting it.

Or if anyone has had any experiences yet...
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The MP Select is much better, especially for elites.
Tell me how I can sign up for a MP Select card and I will.

Right now my only options are stick with CO PP card or this new card. As, for me, both options suck, I may go back to flying DL. I just have to decide if it's worth the shuttle trip.

If DL could figure out how to give me 500 EQM for my shuttle trip to the airport I'd be in.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
MP Select along with other old MP cards has been pulled from the website. I don't know if one can still get it by calling United or Chase. If yes, please do share your experience.
Originally Posted by raehl311
Tell me how I can sign up for a MP Select card and I will.

Right now my only options are stick with CO PP card or this new card. As, for me, both options suck, I may go back to flying DL. I just have to decide if it's worth the shuttle trip.

If DL could figure out how to give me 500 EQM for my shuttle trip to the airport I'd be in.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:22 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Azmordean
This card is bad news for a Kettle leisure traveler like myself. I am a leisure traveler and never used to bother with FF miles - until I realized I used United quite a bit given IAD is my main airport. So I signed up for Mileage Plus, got the excellent MP Select Visa, and began racking up miles. Along the way, I actually gained a bit of loyalty to UA. I won't pay a huge price difference to fly UA, but if the prices are reasonably close, I'll take UA and pay a bit more.

This threatens all of that though. Almost all my everyday spend has been on the UA Visa thanks to 2x miles for gas, groceries, and the biggie for me, dining out. 3x on UA was nice too. And the 5000 anniversary miles helped to offset the fee. I value miles at around 1.5 cents, so this card represented a good value for me. This new one though... not so much. I like the other benefits, but 1 mile per $ is a really bad deal. Other cards (SPG Amex for example) present a much stronger value.

So I'll hold onto my Select Visa as long as I can... but once that goes away (and I'm betting it will) there's a strong chance paying attention to FF miles will cease to be worth my while again - and it'll be back to "whatever's cheapest on Kayak."
Have you considered the Chase Sapphire card? That is 2X points on dining - points can be moved into CO. 50k sign up bonus offer still in effect (I think). Robyn

Originally Posted by ryman554
How is this a benefit?

I thought the standard awards always worked this way -- if there is a a seat to be sold (ie, Y > 0), you can get a standard award.
For those of us on the CO side - this is a new benefit. I've run into a lot of CO capacity controls in the last year or two. That said - I just got the new brochure for the Continental Onepass Plus card yesterday - and it has pretty much the same benefits. There is nothing in the info about discontinuing the card. I've had it for ages - and will probably hang onto it for another year and see how things play out. Robyn

Originally Posted by JNelson113
The question is who is it good for? If it's not good for Kettles, and not good for elites, who? As an elite, I don't need free baggage, I don't need/care about domestic mileage ticket upgrades, don't care about two lounge passes a year. I do care about triple United miles, 5K EQMs, 5K bonus miles on anniversary, and double miles at the everyday merchants.
It's good for someone like me - who tries to get a free international front of the cabin flight once every year or so. Because it eliminates the capacity controls Continental has had in place recently. And it's nice to have the club passes on international flights. On my part - since there is no incentive to change to the United card now - I will keep my old Continental Onepass Plus (which offers pretty much the same benefits effective - IIRC - next week).

I think someone up thread made the best point. Apart from all the promos - you have to pick the card or cards that work best for you on a daily basis. I'm sure there are thousands of people here - all in different situations. There must be hundreds of thousands of permutations of the "best cards". Robyn

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I didn't see that RNE received official answers to a couple of questions. This first situation is also applicable to Mrs 84fiero so we're quite interested in clarifying:

Originally Posted by RNE
TSMRSRNE currently has a Continental OnePass Plus card, but has never had a United card of any kind. The first quote above seems to indicate she is eligible to receive the bonus miles. However, the second quote seems to equate the OnePass Pass with the Explorer Card, making it a United card in all but name.

What's your take on this? Is she eligible for the bonus miles?
The offer language itself doesn't mention OP cardholders at all in this provision:

This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time United Airlines personal cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United Airlines personal cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.
Chase's recently standard provision that "Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer" could, if Chase wanted to really get stinky, be used to exclude OP cardholders since the two programs are effectively one in the same... OP is definitely "associated with" MP now.

In response to another question UA Insider responded:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi UAL1200, your interpretation is correct. The 25K mileage enrollment bonus only applies to new Cardmembers, and does not apply to current Mileage Plus and OnePass Chase Cardmembers who switch to these cards.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
Maybe I'm just dense but the above doesn't really clarify as the answer lumps MP and OP cards together in the response. I could read the highlighted sentence to mean that holders of either OP or MP cards cannot receive the bonus for getting any of the new MP or OP card offerings; or I could read it such that MP cardholders could get the OP bonus, and vice versa.

I'd also share ingy's frustration that a card trumpeted as "new" - and in the signage at ORD, even "all new" has prior cardholder restrictions!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:06 pm

Eligible customers may receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or Continental only; codeshare flights are not eligible. The primary cardmember's MileagePlus account number must be listed in their reservation and they must pay for their tickets with their qualifying United MileagePlus credit card.

So it would seem to be clear that bookings made on UA marketed code-share flights are not eligible for the free bag, but what about UA operated flights marketed by other airlines?

For example, purchasing an Asiana flight that is operated by UA out of ORD on the Asiana website with the card. It is operated by UA as required, and the UA FF number could be entered into the Asiana reservation.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:28 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The 25K mileage enrollment bonus only applies to new Cardmembers, and does not apply to current Mileage Plus and OnePass Chase Cardmembers who switch to these cards.
What I find problematic is the verb "switch" in the above quote. TSMRSRNE does not want to switch to the Explorer card; she wants to acquire it as an additional card. (Yes, I'm aware OnePass Plus will become Explorer, but still, switch? Naw!)
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
What I find problematic is the verb "switch" in the above quote. TSMRSRNE does not want to switch to the Explorer card; she wants to acquire it as an additional card. (Yes, I'm aware OnePass Plus will become Explorer, but still, switch? Naw!)
I want to do the same. (But purely for the additional 50K, and possibly 60K miles.)
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:54 am
RNE

Originally Posted by joshwex90
...But purely for the additional 50K, and possibly 60K miles.
Shhh. Tell the nice cyborgs at Chase that you intend to hold this card for the rest of your puny human life, slavishly and cheerily paying annual fees all the while hoping they will increase. If the cyborgs ask you about bonus miles, assure them you despise bonus miles, but you will grudgingly accept them with great shame.

RNE, adding, "Then cancel the card as soon as you can—keeping the bonus miles, natch!"
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Shhh. Tell the nice cyborgs at Chase that you intend to hold this card for the rest of your puny human life, slavishly and cheerily paying annual fees all the while hoping they will increase. If the cyborgs ask you about bonus miles, assure them you despise bonus miles, but you will grudgingly accept them with great shame.

RNE, adding, "Then cancel the card as soon as you can—keeping the bonus miles, natch!"
And then switch to Chase Sapphire Card, and hope I retain elite status, thereby forfeiting no major benefits from the OnePass Plus or Explorer cards!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS
So forgive me if this has been covered already:

Long time MP member and MP card holder, recent OP member, saw the Explorer offer and applied through CO One Pass. Will I or will I not get the 30,000 bonus miles?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:38 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by harryhood
Long time MP member and MP card holder, recent OP member, saw the Explorer offer and applied through CO One Pass. Will I or will I not get the 30,000 bonus miles?
Nobody can know the answer to this question now, but you will find out eventually.

RNE, adding, "Let us know."
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Upgrade on award ticket.

When CO insider talked about the one pass plus card, upgrade on companion reward ticket was included in the benefits, but it is not mentioned here. Is it gone? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.