Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus: Loyalty program for the new United in 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus: Loyalty program for the new United in 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
He said details such as "mileage expiration" will be released later. I'm very curious what the deal is with that. I don't know whether MP miles every expire, but OP miles don't, and I hope it remains that way
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
He said details such as "mileage expiration" will be released later. I'm very curious what the deal is with that. I don't know whether MP miles every expire, but OP miles don't, and I hope it remains that way
Me too, if miles expire after a certain time, UA will be loosing at least 3 customers. UA miles expire if you don't use the account for 18months.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes, MP miles expire after 18 months if there is no activity in the account in that period. Any activity that deposits miles (flights, credit card purchases, etc.) or spends miles (award flights, product purchases using miles, etc.) will automatically reset the 18 month clock.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
Yes, MP miles expire after 18 months if there is no activity in the account in that period. Any activity that deposits miles (flights, credit card purchases, etc.) or spends miles (award flights, product purchases using miles, etc.) will automatically reset the 18 month clock.
Regardless, that would stink if they changed that. One thing great about OP has been the no expiration on miles. Maybe, since apparently this whole merger has "CO written all over it," we can see the same happen with the miles expiration.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Regardless, that would stink if they changed that. One thing great about OP has been the no expiration on miles. Maybe, since apparently this whole merger has "CO written all over it," we can see the same happen with the miles expiration.
CO can actually expire the miles if the account is not used for 18 months as well, but it never happens.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
While I appreciate that UA has a company representative in these halls, and I express gratitude when that hastens more effective communication with us elites... only one thing comes to mind on this particular announcement:

"the news is... there is no news"
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
While I appreciate that UA has a company representative in these halls, and I express gratitude when that hastens more effective communication with us elites... only one thing comes to mind on this particular announcement:

"the news is... there is no news"
^
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
... "the news is... there is no news"
perhaps a bit harsh

Given the tirades and gnashing over the dropping of the tulip, one could see the naming of the FF program of some significant to some (I for one could careless about the program name or the logo).

Now this is behind us, let's get the details that really matter.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1 Million Miler, CX Gold
Thanks, Scott!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:39 pm

Things to keep looking...

Still a couple of questions to look at. I have no problem with UMP FFP, but:

1. Would continental.com retire too? If so, that would be a really bad news for FTs out here coz this website does a much better job in reward reservation, seat assignment, and so on. .bomb has way more glitches than CO. Rewards play a huge part as I never like the reward search engine of UA.

2. Would UMP keep the tradition of upgrade order as it is or change it to the OnePass biz-oriented approach? (Fare > elite or elite > Fare)? I have warned that 1Ks would not get over 90% UDU if fare type trumps the elite status.

Things to see:

1. Many are jumping ship. Three GSs talked to me about it in LAX AC yesterday because of this CO/UA merger.

2. SWUs going down to the toilet. I have repeatedly said it's not a great policy to start having the SWUs mid July 2011 until July 31, 2011.

3. CO staff are not appreciating elites. I called PLT desk a couple of times and the sense that I got was, no elite recognition, no thank-you phrase, no loyalty phrase. 'It's all about business.' I doubt whether they are pissed off with the union development during the merger.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010

Things to see:

1. Many are jumping ship. Three GSs talked to me about it in LAX AC yesterday because of this CO/UA merger.

2. SWUs going down to the toilet. I have repeatedly said it's not a great policy to start having the SWUs mid July 2011 until July 31, 2011.

3. CO staff are not appreciating elites. I called PLT desk a couple of times and the sense that I got was, no elite recognition, no thank-you phrase, no loyalty phrase. 'It's all about business.' I doubt whether they are pissed off with the union development during the merger.
Not surprised on the GS. I know of 4 of us that bailed. We will probably make 1K and EXP, but it will be based on *A making the numbers on the token amount of domestic flights vs International ones.

I can't remember who said that 1K is the new 2P, but the way things are going....I am waiting for someone to say...UA/CO is the new US Airways!!

Very sad..
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:50 pm

Thanks, Scott.

I really hope star-net blocking does not become standard on the new Mileage Plus.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: Phoenician Airlines
Originally Posted by alvnmri
Thanks, Scott.
I really hope star-net blocking does not become standard on the new Mileage Plus.
It already is.

I guess what you are saying is that you hope Mileage Plus will eliminate Starnet blocking at some point in the future.

I say the odds of that are slim.

Bear in mind they are not throwing out both computer systems and installing a third one. The Mileage Plus computers and software will hum on just like before. Continental flyers and miles will be added to mileage plus accounts, and then Continental's software and computers will go dark. Starnet blocking will not magically go away in this process, it will continue as before as a "feature" of the Mileage Plus program.

So get your Continental award tickets while you can.

Mileage Plus will look like . . . Mileage Plus. Why does anyone think otherwise?
Originally Posted by 84fiero
My sentiments exactly. Call the program "Rosebud" if you want, who cares? What's the program going to actually look like?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 29, 2011 at 9:15 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
CO can actually expire the miles if the account is not used for 18 months as well, but it never happens.
You guys DO realize there is a cost to this, right? Since no one on these boards would likely have miles expire, I don't understand the rationale for keeping this.

DL can say "our miles never expire" in the plus column, and then load up the negative column.

I'd happily take expiring miles in exchange for other benefits / delay on other "enhancements" that are sure to come.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I have an old MP number that I signed up for more than 10 years ago (maybe longer). Only used once (lifetime miles 500). What does it mean that the number is 0306xxxxxxx? Will I automatically be assigned this number (if I don't link the accounts) or a new one? If keeping my OP number is an option, I would gladly keep it. (Other than my Social Security number, it's the "oldest" ID number I have in continous use.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.