Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus: Loyalty program for the new United in 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus: Loyalty program for the new United in 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Copa Airlines still used OnePass.
And Copa Columbia
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The system should be able to handle either legacy OP or MP number. This isn't 1999 dealing with Y2K programming using rudimentary programming tools. Software application modification is much more advanced now. Never mind the loyalty long time flyers feel toward their numbers (like mine from the mid-80's). Even if you make all OP members switch to MP-format numbers, you'll still need to program the original number into the record for cross reference.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Standard Award Availability

Sorry if this has been covered already but does anyone know if standard award availability will have a restricted inventory as it did with Continental or if there will be an open inventory, as was the case with United?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Gberg
Sorry if this has been covered already but does anyone know if standard award availability will have a restricted inventory as it did with Continental or if there will be an open inventory, as was the case with United?
Both UA & CO have restrcited inventory. However if you are willing to pay double miles, you can get much better inventory with them.

Same with SW, you can combine two std awards into one freedom award (?) and have much better availability.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Will lifetime miles on both programs be combined into a new grand total?.
A related inquiry- I have flights booked on CO using my CO One Pass number, from which I will need the EQM's to qualify for UA 1K this year. Are they all going to be "swept" into one account for that purpose, or should I have me MP number in these reservations?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA EXP, VS Silver, HY Diamond, HI Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jimmc66
A related inquiry- I have flights booked on CO using my CO One Pass number, from which I will need the EQM's to qualify for UA 1K this year. Are they all going to be "swept" into one account for that purpose, or should I have me MP number in these reservations?
If you have already linked your OP & MP accounts, activity will be combined in a sweep ~weekly, so it technically makes no difference which number you use in your reservation, UNLESS you are close to a million mile threshold in either program. If the latter is true, you MAY want to use the account number toward which you are looking to achieve MM status, "may" being the operative word, given we don't actually know what the new, combined 2012 MM program will look like, so it's a bit of a crap shoot right now.

If MM status thresholds are not a concern, the rule of thumb is to utilize the account number of the operating carrier to better one's chances of securing an upgrade (so if flying UA, use MP; if flying CO, use OP).

If you have not yet linked accounts for EQM combining purposes, this will be done automatically at the end of 2011 for calculating 2012 status levels. It behooves one to combine in 2011 so that one can get elite status recognition sooner (if that's a concern for someone). The only reason NOT to combine in 2011 is if one will be flying 100K on BOTH CO AND UA - in which case, one would achieve more benefits (CR1s & SWUs) by keeping the accounts separate for now.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:59 pm
21A

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Both UA & CO have restrcited inventory. However if you are willing to pay double miles, you can get much better inventory with them.
I think the question was whether in the combined program you get last-seat availability on a double-priced award (on PMUA yes, on PMCO no for non-elites, right?).
Old Jul 3, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: CO MM, ANA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis P Club, Hertz 5 star, Starwood Plat
Crappy Name

Scott - it's really sad that United doesn't listen to its customers. If anything, you needed a new name on this one to at least bring together the two cultures. Mileage Plus or One Pass would have been the wrong name. This is about as responsive as the idiots running social media programs on Twitter who don't even help customers.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA EXP, VS Silver, HY Diamond, HI Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by F Yu
Scott - it's really sad that United doesn't listen to its customers. If anything, you needed a new name on this one to at least bring together the two cultures. Mileage Plus or One Pass would have been the wrong name. This is about as responsive as the idiots running social media programs on Twitter who don't even help customers.
Wow, that's a harsh (and unnecessarily so, IMHO) critique. Hey, at least Scott communicates with us and shares info with the group prior to most of the general public.

Personally, I care less about the name of the program, and more about the benefits of the program.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by jetsetr
Personally, I care less about the name of the program, and more about the benefits of the program.
+1
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

We have a winner.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
If you have not yet linked accounts for EQM combining purposes, this will be done automatically at the end of 2011 for calculating 2012 status levels.
I have an old MP number from about 20 years ago (starts with 0300...) but haven't used it since. How will the program know about your other account if you don't tell them? Name and address? Many people like me could have moved and not updated the address on the dormant account.

Since my MP account has long since been emptied (but not closed), I'm not linking them, holding out for the possibility that I might be able to keep my OP number.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I have an old MP number from about 20 years ago (starts with 0300...) but haven't used it since. ....
If 20 years ago then it would be 003...

If 3 years ago it would be 030.....
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 21A
I think the question was whether in the combined program you get last-seat availability on a double-priced award (on PMUA yes, on PMCO no for non-elites, right?).
Yes
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:37 am

Talking From the announcement

Originally Posted by goriajk
According To The Wording Of The Email - It Appears I Don't Have To Change My MP Number - I know it just as well as my Calif. Driver's License and SSN. The Continental Folks Should Sign Up Right Now and Transfer Their Old OP Miles to MP and not wait - before 2012 Hee Hee ^ Joe G
Your OnePass account will be the new MP number. No need to start trying to memorize all those numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.