Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Paying for Snacks in F - is this our future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre

I just got off my first CO flight in F this year. My itinerary kept fluctuating between “Snacks Available for Purchase” and “Dinner.” I even asked here once about Snacks for Purchase in F, and was told it was a mistake. Finally for the last 2 weeks or so it said Dinner every time I logged in, so I figured the mistake had been fixed.

I boarded my flight today looking forward to Dinner, as many people have stated CO food is better than UA. About an hour into the flight (UA usually starts after about 10-15 min), the flight attendant came by and took my drink order. First off, the wine was served in a glass smaller than UA’s old glasses, so that was disappointing. It was also worse than the UA wine, which surprised me as people keep saying it was better. Anyway, when she brought the wine, I asked what the dinner options were, and was told, “This is not a dinner flight.” I explained that my itinerary stated Dinner, and she said that this was never a Dinner flight, it’s a snack flight, and Snack Boxes or Ala Carte items are available for Purchase only.

I asked if they had anything that was not for purchase. She told me they can provide nut mix for free. She brought me a small bag of cashews. Later when I asked for more cashews she said that cashews were limited to one per passenger, and that there are still snack boxes available should I want to purchase one.

I was not the only shocked person, several passengers were arguing with the FA about this. The guy next to me said he is in paid F and on this flight ever single week and they always serve dinner. He argued far more than I did, even loudly stated, “I paid for a first class ticket, and now you are going to tell me I have to pay for my meal too?” The FA told him this is the new CO policy.

I really hope this is not a new CO or UA policy. I am quite scared that this is the way SMI/J is going to take things. Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to e-mail CO and see what they say, I am also going to ask for a portion of my miles back as I paid for the upgrade with miles.

Classy CO, classy!

Last edited by emanon256; Jun 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
This most certainly isn't a policy - it's a flight where no meal is served, that's all. In the past there would have been nothing served in Y at all so having access to the food they're selling in Y is actually an improvement.

What was the route and departure time?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Similiar experience on a return IAH - BOS flight. Upgraded to F four days out and called CO to ask about a gluten-free meal as I've done in the past on UA. CO said they don't honor special meals. In flight there was only one meal selection (pasta) and had to purchase one of their a la carte meals for $10. Granted I was upgraded so I guess can't really complain and should have brought some food with me but the FA onboard wasn't accomodating at all. The wine was pretty lousy too!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by star_world
What was the route and departure time?
FLL-ORD 4:05pm. The guy next to me said he is on this flight ever week, same day and time, and it's always a dinner flight, and my itinerary still says it's a diner flight when I log in.

Originally Posted by star_world
This most certainly isn't a policy - it's a flight where no meal is served, that's all. In the past there would have been nothing served in Y at all so having access to the food they're selling in Y is actually an improvement.
I thought in the past CO served meals in Y as well as F.

Last edited by emanon256; Jun 26, 2011 at 9:48 pm Reason: Merge
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
ugh some kinks to work out on the CO systems
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
If that's how they make F, then why not just fly WN? This is getting ridiculous! After many upgrades, I'm finally going to have a paid intl' C class ticket early next year, and was going to book it on UA or CO metal all the way through to give them my business and feel like I'm giving back after the many upgrades of Y purchased tickets. But no way am I going to pay $5,000 for a ticket when 2 legs are domestic and they may want to charge me for food.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: HYATT DIAMOND, STARWOOD PLAT, UA 1K,AA PLAT [2.5MILLION], LH SENATOR, AMEX BLACK
Are you on an rj or co express?

Originally Posted by emanon256
I just got off my first CO flight in F this year. My itinerary kept fluctuating between “Snacks Available for Purchase” and “Dinner.” I even asked here once about Snacks for Purchase in F, and was told it was a mistake. Finally for the last 2 weeks or so it said Dinner every time I logged in, so I figured the mistake had been fixed.

I boarded my flight today looking forward to Dinner, as many people have stated CO food is better than UA. About an hour into the flight (UA usually starts after about 10-15 min), the flight attendant came by and took my drink order. First off, the wine was served in a glass smaller than UA’s old glasses, so that was disappointing. It was also worse than the UA wine, which surprised means people keep saying it was better. Anyway, when she brought the wine, I asked what the dinner options were, and was told, “This is not a dinner flight.” I explained that my itinerary stated Dinner, and she said that this was never a Dinner flight, it’s a snack flight, and Snack Boxes or Ala Carte items are available for Purchase only.

I asked if they had anything that was not for purchase. She told me they can provide nut mix for free. She brought me a small bag of cashews. Later when I asked for more cashews she said that cashews were limited to one per passenger, and that there are still snack boxes available should I want to purchase one.

I was not the only shocked person, several passengers were arguing with the FA about this. The guy next to me said he is in paid F and on this flight ever single week and they always serve dinner. He argued far more than I did, even loudly stated, “I paid for a first class ticket, and now you are going to tell me I have to pay for my meal too?” The FA told him this is the new CO policy.

I really hope this is not a new CO or UA policy. I am quite scared that this is the way SMI/J is going to take things. Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to e-mail CO and see what they say, I am also going to ask for a portion of my miles back as I paid for the upgrade with miles.

Classy CO, classy!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: HYATT DIAMOND, STARWOOD PLAT, UA 1K,AA PLAT [2.5MILLION], LH SENATOR, AMEX BLACK
Co no meals?

in 100,000 plus miles never experienced this situation - perhaps they are ua crew incognito
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedsterjoe
737-800 3hr 15min flight.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by speedsterjoe
ORD-FLL-ORD is all 737.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: *G, CO Plat, UA 1P, Etihad Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, Avis Pres
That's weird. I've been on a number of flights between 2-3 hours and there's been a meal in F. I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a non-hub to non-hub flight?

Apparently it's just that 4:05 flight - the early flight and routing through CLE have meals in F. Very strange. You'd think they would cater to snowbirds like to eat dinner early.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 26, 2011 at 11:37 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
........ Upgraded to F four days out and called CO to ask about a gluten-free meal as I've done in the past on UA. CO said they don't honor special meals.
Continental stopped "honoring" special meals on domestic flights long time ago; I usually just have the salad without croutons or dressing and then some fruit if available; on one of the flights the flight attendant felt bad for me and got me a fruit and cheese plate from "a la carte" from coach and did not charge.
I usually carry a few bars with me so I never have a problem and usually do not purchase anything anyway.

Even when you fly BF in Continental the gluten free meal is the same stuff you get in coach but presented nicely. I usually forgo that and let the flight attendant find a way of making my meal gluten free by mixing a matching whatever is available.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky
Apparently it's just that 4:05 flight - the early flight and routing through CLE have meals in F. Very strange. You'd think they would cater to snowbirds like to eat dinner early.
maybe they still think it's a TED flight
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
Hope UA wins out in f- class

I know CO think their product is better - but I really hope more of UA remains the operation of F - I'm just not that impressed with CO.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:51 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
I know CO think their product is better - but I really hope more of UA remains the operation of F - I'm just not that impressed with CO.
I hope so, too. But it doesn't look good, and I am not holding my breath either.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.