Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fear of CO change re upgrades using miles.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum

Has anyone heard anything about what the future holds regarding upgrades with miles? At CO we are able to upgrade any paid fare class (most with co-pays). Is that likely to change? I hope we don't go the way of certain airlines where you can only upgrade Y/B fares...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Jade_BR
Has anyone heard anything about what the future holds regarding upgrades with miles? At CO we are able to upgrade any paid fare class (most with co-pays). Is that likely to change? I hope we don't go the way of certain airlines where you can only upgrade Y/B fares...
United has the same mileage upgrade policy -- you are able to upgrade on any fare (with co-pays) so it doesn't look like that is changing. This is always subject to change.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Given that cheaper fare classes = higher copays for mileage upgrades, I doubt we'll see UACO restrict mileage upgrades to Y/B anytime soon.

Historically, PMUA at one point did restrict mileage upgrades to H or higher, IIRC, but that was several years ago and before they went with the current miles + copay system.

I wonder how much miles + copay reduces the redemption of (and thus value of) SWUs, given it means increased competition for upgrades + discourages booking SWU-eligible fare classes with the spread between S/T/K/L/G and W+ being almost as much as the copay at times. But that's fodder for another thread...
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: United Premier Executive ; Frontier Summit
Thumbs down

Anyone have luck sponsoring an upgrade with miles on a CO flight. Wife on different PNR, looks like all elites have been cleared, still 5 seats in F, only 5 seats left on the plane.

If not a sponsorship, any chance the GA will op-up my wife( actually me since the mrs tombourn will be gettIng my seat
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, you can apply your miles to your wife's PNR if you want. And if the flight is EUA-eligible, which sounds like the case, you can ask the agent at the airport to list her as your companion upgrade and try for the freebie. Note that you are officially not supposed to be able to request the mileage-based upgrade within 24 hours of departure so keep that in mind with the timing.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: United Premier Executive ; Frontier Summit
Thanks, I called the 1P line and they told me we still weren't able to apply UA miles to CO sponsorship, then I began to think that since they are transferable between the two accts, so that's why I asked.

I think I'll just have them join the two and cross my fingers since it's only a 2 hour flight, not worth 15k miles fOr 2 drinks

Thanks again
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tombourn
Thanks, I called the 1P line and they told me we still weren't able to apply UA miles to CO sponsorship, then I began to think that since they are transferable between the two accts, so that's why I asked.
Yeah...you'd have to move them to a linked CO account and handle the upgrade from that side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.