Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are thinking of jumping ship?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Is EWR-HKG really that hard to upgrade? About 2 years ago in June, my parents and I scored 3 upgrades to BF as GMs. Is there really that much more traffic in a period of two years?
I am going based on a few colleagues that flew EWR-HKG (mostly this past year and the first 3 months of this year), they had a 20% success rate. All CO Plat's...

As far as the UA side, I saw it in person watching the gate circus (esp. SFO) while waiting to board for the previous several years...
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Upgrade all depends on location and route, this I know you are aware. Since I'm the one who started this thread, I thought I would chime in.

Living in PHX, I live in the *A hub with US,UA/CO, I do very well on my upgrades on UA this year I'm 10/10 (haven't flown much on UA this year) I'm 8/12 on US (I fly them PHX-SAN-PHX and this is one of the toughest upgrades to get)

Since the start of 2011 I have flown AA mostly and on thier PHX-MIA-PHX route. So far the only real issue I have is in MIA the gate areas are a little dirty and the AC by the gate D30 is ALWAYS crowed and very noisy. But the employee's I haven't had a real problem with. The FA's on this route are first class, and always have a smile. Now regarding PDB, on these flights, the FC FA always does them. The PHX-MIA is a AM flight and you can order a Mimosa is you like. Food LIGHT years ahead of UA (never had food on US flight) and the amount of food, no snack basket is needed, unlike UA.

UA "snack" in the AM is a nice touch, but please, give me more then one scone. For a while, I was flying to TUL, so I would go PHX-DIA-TUL. Flight left at 545am, got ONE scone on that hr and 40 minute fight, then didn't have time to get something to eat in DIA since I had a 40 minute connection and nothing served on the DIA-TUL flight which was an hr and 30 minutes. So when I got into TUL, I was hungery. Granted each airline does somtehing like this, but please serve more then one scone if the pax ask's..

I flew DL PHX-ATL-PHX a couple of weeks ago, 767 out and 757 back. Meal service was between UA and AA, bigger then UA but smaller then AA. The crew in FC was just OK on both legs, nothing to really stand out, seats were nicer in the 757 then 767.

I have taken MIA-LAX once, just to try AA's J product, "I" thought it was better, even tho the only J product I have been on with UA was IAD-CGD-IAD. I thought the food was better and the service was equal.

Now growing in a AA family, had 2 uncles who worked at JFK for 45 years each and a older brother who worked at SAN for 40 years, I know what AA can do when the employee's want to do it (this goes for ALL airlines.) I choose UA because of convience of my flight times, not meal service. But I have to say, with how traffic is these days, looking at meals now will be an important part to decided which airline to fly. So for now, I'll make 1K lite this year (have 2 international trips coming up) and will male EXPTL on AA.

Originally Posted by demkr
Yeah, I am actually surprised reading this forum over the past couple of days just what reason people would have to actually move to AA. (I understand it's all a matter of opinion).

Being from SFO--we know that this airport is constantly on the cut list from AA. This is the #1 reason that I left. Constant downgauging and cutting. The seasonal removal of one flight to JFK was the final cherry on the sundae for me.

Upgrades are nailbiters even for EXPs. Yeah, and I know that many people say they don't like the fact that GS exists or whatever, but as a CO PLAT I am below even 1Ps on the upgrade list until I become 1K or get UA status-and I've cleared 5 out of 6 times. The only flight I missed was a SFO-DFW flight last week on a 319 (I was #1 on the list) where I enjoyed a surprisingly pleasant E+ seat and excellent BOB options. Along with free headphones that I didn't have to pay $2 for, and headphones that actually looked like something that didn't come out of a toy set.

I can't say that I deny this!! I loved DL's hot breakfast. Did I mention PDB service? lol Unlike on AA, the portion size was fit for someone other than a 4 year old.^ Noticed the same on UA. Extreme cost cutting measures aren't needed I guess when you're making a profit. If AA loses money in Q2 2011, I imagine the snack mix on SFO-LAX will be the next thing to go.

Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:40 am

I too with a sad heart am contemplating the move. I have been PLAT on CO for 14 consecutive years and gold before that. I already have 80k EQM this year. But what is the use of worrying about upgrades or even buying first. The product has gotten so downgraded. The food and quantity of food is absolutely terrible! That is what is important if I'm traveling with little time on my hand. I was even told on my last 2 flights where the flight attendants didn't recognize me that I had to wait for all the coach passengers to select their meals before I could PURCHASE a meal from coach! Which is better than what they serve in first! That is crazy! No pillows. Inattentive flight attendants. CO has gone from the best airline to a LCC. So as some others said why worry about upgrades and loyalty? Just fly the best connection and cheapest flight for any particular route.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Is EWR-HKG really that hard to upgrade? About 2 years ago in June, my parents and I scored 3 upgrades to BF as GMs. Is there really that much more traffic in a period of two years?
Inventory management system gets updated every few minutes or hours. Two years old data is pretty old for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.