How many are thinking of jumping ship?

Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Can you elaborate on the CX comment? Also, do you have experiences comparing the OW to the *A carriers to SIN?
Yes that was too terse. I dislike CX for several reasons, main one being that there is hardly any coach fares which earn AA miles. Then the seats are too narrow for me, and finally, I don't along well with the Hong Kong culture and attitude. Whereas Japan Airlines meets most of my expectations.

Yes, I flew many *A carriers and several OW ones ex SIN: TG, SQ, OZ, LH, LX (in the day), OS (back then), NH, UA and then QF, BA, CX, JL.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:40 am

I jumped to AC and was quite happy, then my company signed a UA-only deal and forced me back. On the plus side, my two recent TATL RT's haven't been too bad. IMO UA increased the food quality in the two years I was away.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by weero
Yes that was too terse. I dislike CX for several reasons, main one being that there is hardly any coach fares which earn AA miles. Then the seats are too narrow for me, and finally, I don't along well with the Hong Kong culture and attitude. Whereas Japan Airlines meets most of my expectations.

Yes, I flew many *A carriers and several OW ones ex SIN: TG, SQ, OZ, LH, LX (in the day), OS (back then), NH, UA and then QF, BA, CX, JL.
No worries...thanks for the thoughts on CX...

between OW and *A to SE Asia, which alliance do you feel serves you the best?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
Originally Posted by ConcreteQA
This is my predicament as well. At the end of June I'll be at 60 segments. No way I can keep that up. This is the only reason I'd look at AA or DL. Otherwise I've been happy with CO and UA.
I am in the same boat. I am at 59 segments through June. I am hoping for a 2x segment promo.

I became somewhat less hopeful after watching $misek's "lecture" to the Northwestern students. He made a point, several times of the fact that they cannot make money on domestic travel. They make all their profit on international fares. It leads me to believe that he does not really value segment qualifiers at all. He may even sort of resent the fact that he has to give benefits to people who spend $$ and are loyal but don't seem to enhance his bottom line.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Denvercccc

I became somewhat less hopeful after watching $misek's "lecture" to the Northwestern students. He made a point, several times of the fact that they cannot make money on domestic travel. They make all their profit on international fares.

If you are not a "buy American" corporation or contracted with UA when it comes to flying, I think he has some problems getting people to fly them in premium INTL vs what the INTL carriers are rolling out in their premium cabins.

Maybe he is referring to all the customers buying Y Fares for INTL and the discounted contracted premium to turn a profit...
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Im sticking with UA through this merger..Ive always been a CAL PHL FLYER and now im going to stick with United for my flights out of PHL..UA has a lounge at PHL and now has ORD,CLE,IAH,IAD,DEN,EWR,LAX,& SFO as nonstops and easy connections to almost anywhere in the world..UA is the airline for me.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:59 pm

..between OW and *A to SE Asia, which alliance do you feel serves you the best?
Within Asia *A is less bad for me than OW, even though they are definitely worse fare-wise.

What I - for myself - really wished was that OW had a proportional luggage policy to *A. I always travel with lots of equipment and the 20kg extra come in handy.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by weero
Within Asia *A is less bad for me than OW, even though they are definitely worse fare-wise.

What I - for myself - really wished was that OW had a proportional luggage policy to *A. I always travel with lots of equipment and the 20kg extra come in handy.
Thanks. The reason for asking is I have already bailed on UA for TPAC trips and I am looking at *A or OW in J class to SIN, KUL, BKK, HKG, PVG and ICN. Leaning towards CX mostly, but will make sure I have 1K UA (since I still have to fly domestically) and Emerald (AA EXP) on OW to get to that mix.

AS far as Australia and NZ goes, I am not sure to stay with UA on the J to F or go QF, or try to schedule it as a Circle pacific fare, or....
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: OnePass
CO becoming too UA

Service and reliability will drive me away. I've watched CO's pleasant service and great on time performance erode steadily since the merger was approved. After sitting at LAX for the crew to come in for the 9:25 flight to IAH, it's 11 now, and not being able to get a confirmed flight to MSY until Saturday bc of the missed connection, my fears of CO becoming UA are now completely confirmed. At least I have my MM. AA will definitely get more business.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kreweboat
Service and reliability will drive me away. I've watched CO's pleasant service and great on time performance erode steadily since the merger was approved. After sitting at LAX for the crew to come in for the 9:25 flight to IAH, it's 11 now, and not being able to get a confirmed flight to MSY until Saturday bc of the missed connection, my fears of CO becoming UA are now completely confirmed. At least I have my MM. AA will definitely get more business.
Welcome to FT! wow..5 years to resist the "urge" to "post a post"
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL

Welcome to FT. I think Continental's "great" on time performance hasn't been as great as UA's over the last couple years.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA Plat, DL Silver, US Silver, Amtrak SP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Joshua
Unfortunately, UA/CO is the only airline with flight schedules in Cleveland that actually work for me. I am assuming Cleveland will get dropped like a hot potato post merger and plan to move to AA then.
I'm on a long-term project in Cleveland, so I'm not looking forward to the day when the CLE-BOS (and CLE-PWM) route gets cut.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 1:24 am

Thanks. The reason for asking is I have already bailed on UA for TPAC trips and I am looking at *A or OW in J class to SIN, KUL, BKK, HKG, PVG and ICN. Leaning towards CX mostly, but will make sure I have 1K UA (since I still have to fly domestically) and Emerald (AA EXP) on OW to get to that mix.

AS far as Australia and NZ goes, I am not sure to stay with UA on the J to F or go QF, or try to schedule it as a Circle pacific fare, or....
Interesting. In J and C, the situation is of course quite different and if you can get a decent OW Circle Pacific fare, OW can be quite decent (always assuming you don't need all that much luggage).

QF is of course a bit a gamble equipment wise also depending on the city you are entering Australia in. On European routes, I had old equipment twice and was not too happy. But it's not all terrible.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
welcome to FT and now that UA takes over you should be happy because UA has a better on time performance than CO. Hope you notice the improvement
Old Jul 4, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat
2 of my last three trips with UA had a leg that got cancelled. While I have been successful with UDU (when there are first class seats), UDU and Priorty Security don't do much for me at MCI. Seems lile most of the flights to and from MCI are ERJ-145s or CRJ-200s. Looking at maybe Delta.?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.