Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United SWUs {GPUs} refunded if only domestic leg clears [policy change Sept 2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United SWUs {GPUs} refunded if only domestic leg clears [policy change Sept 2011]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: M&M UAL
Originally Posted by Joeamit
I have a booked flight from TLV-EWR-MIA, using my GPU on line the second flight from EWR to MIA cleared but the first one is on the waiting list.
If I don’t get upgrade from TLV to EWR would United redeposit my GPU back in my account or I’m going to lose it because I got the upgrade on the short flight from EWR to MIA?
Thx,
Joe
the problem is if you want cancel the upgrade EWR MIA if the TLV EWR is not clearing... the agent have to find the same class you book in... if thes can't there not Abel to cancel your SWU....
Old Nov 3, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If TLV-EWR does not clear, and EWR-MIA clears, then your GPU will be refunded. As another response noted, you may have to phone in to get this done, but yes, no question, your GPU should be refunded and essentially the EWR-MIA is a freebie. Good luck with TLV-EWR, it is going to be hit-and-miss...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rafgva
the problem is if you want cancel the upgrade EWR MIA if the TLV EWR is not clearing... the agent have to find the same class you book in... if thes can't there not Abel to cancel your SWU....
no reason to even think about downgrading EWR-MIA.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Thanks for all the great information!
Now, I just hope that UA will give me some love and upgrade
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Sorry if I'm reviving an age-old thread. Has this policy been changed? Looking to apply a waitlisted GPU for a friend, SFO->JFK->somewhere in Europe
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Worked for me last December SIN-HKG was upgraded, HKG-SFO-DEN was not upgraded and they refunded the GPU! Just got to call and ask, if not satisfied the first time, dial again!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by teeceedee
Sorry if I'm reviving an age-old thread. Has this policy been changed? Looking to apply a waitlisted GPU for a friend, SFO->JFK->somewhere in Europe
SFO-JFK on ps is now marketed as BF and technically burns the GPU. Not sure we have any actual data points yet though.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
SFO-JFK on ps is now marketed as BF and technically burns the GPU. Not sure we have any actual data points yet though.
Good point. Think she ended up going SFO->ORD->Athens.

All waitlisted in May, though - hopefully it'll clear. Even if it doesn't I get my GPU's back AND still get thanked for the favor though
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by fly2work
Worked for me last December SIN-HKG was upgraded, HKG-SFO-DEN was not upgraded and they refunded the GPU! Just got to call and ask, if not satisfied the first time, dial again!
Wow. My impression was that this had changed since HKG-SIN had become a GPU route, and that they would no longer re deposit if SIN-HKG didn't clear.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
Wow. My impression was that this had changed since HKG-SIN had become a GPU route, and that they would no longer re deposit if SIN-HKG didn't clear.
Perhaps it was luck of the agent answering the call. I asked about this maybe 4 months ago and was told GPU refunds only applied to domestic segments, and not to Asian tags like SIN-HKG.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Any update on this policy. If a Domestic leg clears and the Intl does not, what is UA's position on refunding the GPU? Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old May 7, 2015, 11:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Any update on this policy. If a Domestic leg clears and the Intl does not, what is UA's position on refunding the GPU? ...
It still the policy published on united.com.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It still the policy published on united.com.
Thanks, It seems to me the new changes kicked in. Now the Upgrade Priorty is based on my staus (Plat) and not the (1K status) of my sponsor. Secondly, if the Domestic Portion Clears and the Intl does not, the GPU is considered used. Not as generous as in the past.. Kindly correct me if I am incorrect with my interpertation. Safe Travels..
Old May 8, 2015, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
TSecondly, if the Domestic Portion Clears and the Intl does not, the GPU is considered used. Not as generous as in the past.. Kindly correct me if I am incorrect with my interpertation. Safe Travels..
No that's not correct, the policy has not changed. It's not used unless the BF/GF segment clears.
In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
No that's not correct, the policy has not changed. It's not used unless the BF/GF segment clears.
In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.
Thank you, I missed that! Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.