Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "New CO/UA Boarding Process (Effective 8 June 2011)" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "New CO/UA Boarding Process (Effective 8 June 2011)" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by warreng24
I am glad that the new (PMCO) management at UA is open minded.

First they decide to keep E+ and now they decide that zone boarding is the way to go. Baby steps I guess.
Haha, they are open-minded after their closed-minded thinking didn't pan out so well......

So where's all the CO folks telling us that complaining won't do any good?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K SPG Plat HHonors Diamond
I don't think this will stop the complaining from top elites about the carpet being "crowded" by lesser elites. But zone boarding is a good thing I guess and a huge plus for E+ travelers.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by qoodoo
I don't think this will stop the complaining from top elites about the carpet being "crowded" by lesser elites. But zone boarding is a good thing I guess and a huge plus for E+ travelers.
Perhaps, but I think as long as the GAs consistently wait long enough before announcing the next group on the carpet, crowding the carpet should not be an issue anymore.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP Gold Million Miler; American, Delta, Southwest; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt; Marriott, A-Plus
Talking Nailed it!

I'm thrilled that UA came forward and confirmed. I'll see how it works myself a week from Saturday. Though, I'm already in FC

Endzone dance!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Great news! ^ Thank you Scott for letting us know!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:53 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by fastair
Well, Jul 2 UA daily pravda email has not been sent out to employees yet, and Jul 1 propaganda email mentions nothing of the sort.

I'm not at the office, so I haven't read the internal propaganda site.
I got it forwarded to me. A few points not listed by UA insider is "OVER THE PAST TWO WEEKS...WE HEARD FROM CUSTOMERS AND CO-WORKERS THAT RECENT ADJUSTMENTS MADE TO THE BOARDING PROCESS WEREN*T WORKING. "

So kudos to those that provided feedback.

Also "I.T. HAS FOUND A WAY FOR SHARES (CO*S SYSTEM) TO SUPPORT ZONE BOARDING...WHICH WILL ALLOW CO TO BOARD IN ZONES IN THE NEAR FUTURE. UNTIL THEN...CO WILL CONTINUE TO BOARD REAR TO FRONT. "

So the theory that CO's system limitations were a reason behind it is (or at least was) true.

I for one was against the change, and I still like the old way better, but it wasn't as chaotic as I expected, especially on smaller planes. The bigger planes though, got pretty chaotic. Maybe this is why it takes CO 1.25 as long to board their planes as UA and they need longer turn times (short turn times=aircraft utilization=$$$)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hobo13
So where's all the CO folks telling us that complaining won't do any good?
+1

The power and passion of UA elites rises again

Waiting for the first PPlat to wonder why they're a notch below GS...
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I think it would be nice if we could keep the tone of this thread positive; this is a change that many appear to like and I think we are lucky to have such a high-placed insider with the company to provide us direct updates based on our feedback. I wonder if we can avoid the "UA won and CO lost" and similar posts; we really don't need to go there, do we?

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Here’s what we’re doing, starting next week…

We’re reinstating zone boarding on the United side. Beginning Jun. 8, United will return to boarding by zones. Among other things, this should directly improve the experience for the folks who purchase Economy Plus by ensuring they aren’t in the last boarding group. In addition, we’ve found a way for our combined airline to support zone boarding, and expect to introduce zone boarding to Continental in the coming year.
Maybe I'm too suspecting, but does this actually mean a return to WIndow-Middle-Aisle zones, or are we talking about a new set of zones that coincidentally also helps out E+ buy-ups?

If it's really a return to the old UA zones, then this totally rocks.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:19 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by beltway
Maybe I'm too suspecting, but does this actually mean a return to WIndow-Middle-Aisle zones, or are we talking about a new set of zones that coincidentally also helps out E+ buy-ups?

If it's really a return to the old UA zones, then this totally rocks.
Hi beltway, it'll be a return to window-middle-aisle.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Thanks Scott.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Thanks, Scott; I was wondering about that as well. ^^^
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
This is great news, even as a 1K, I found the new, now old, boarding process to be a mess. Especially on elite heavy widebody routes. Big ^ to UA for paying attention and bringing the zone process back!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:24 pm

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! (He chortled in his joy.)

Also, thanks for the super-quick response.^
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Glad to hear, and congrats on your 1500th post UA Insider ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.