Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this a common reason to be denied the Chase United Visa card for 30k miles?

Old May 31, 2011, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

I had just opened the Chase Oneplus Continental card for 50,000 Continental miles and got approved instantly no problem. I applied for the Chase United Visa card for the 30k miles about a week after that and got the "we will mail you an approval or denial response" message.

Well, I got the letter in the mail today and got denied the card because:

"Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us"

So, am I out of luck? Or will a call into the 1-888 number get me approved? It's not because of bad credit.

***EDIT: I just called in and they said because I opened a continental card on May 11, I would have to take at least $1,000 off the credit limit on that card and put it onto this new United card. I gladly accepted and the card is being mailed to me in the mail now with the 30k miles bonus attached to it just as I had signed up for.
Old May 31, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
I was about to tell you to call in,as someone who has 6 Chase cards, but saw you pre-emnantly followed my advice.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 2:52 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Not sure how picky places are now but I know AMEX had a low limit of like 3 cards per user for a while.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:42 am

Chase is 6
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:05 am

I've had a Chase UA MP card for many years and also took them up on their offer of a CO card to get the free miles. I had some insane credit limit (high) on the UA card and they knocked it down to a more (IMO) reasonable amount as a prerequisite to sending a CO card. Was fine with me.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: VAG
I just got knocked back for the Chase Mileage Plus Club Visa because apparently I don't have enough of a credit history in the US. ... Chase? Did you think to contact my bank in my home country? Did you look at my assets? Don't you think that the fact that I've lived in the US for five years and only recently decided to get a credit card shows that I'm a *good* credit risk rather than a bad one because I can obviously afford to pay for everything in cash?

Sigh. Is there some other mileage-collecting credit card I can get at this point, or does Chase have 'em all? I'm particularly annoyed not to be getting the discounted Red Carpet Club membership -- there's no way I can justify it to myself as a separate purchase, but rolling it into the annual fee for the credit card made it seem like a good deal.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:33 pm

Jorgen, call in and talk to them. Explain your situation.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:56 am

I had the same rejection. Applied 2 months later was able to cash in on my 50k miles offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.