Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preremoval from an oversold trip

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
Preremoval from an oversold trip

I received two phone calls last night from UA trying to pre remove me from a change of gauge (320 to 319). The flight is now majorly overbooked. (How many times have you been told a flight is oversold, and then it has empty seats?) One never left a message, and the other caller asked if I would simply take another flight. I was unable to do that and had to tell her no. This has never happened in all of the years I have been flying, and I was wondering if it has happened to any of you out there. Is this a CO thing?
Old May 29, 2011, 7:14 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've received calls in the past from UA offering me re-routings to avoid potentially oversold flights.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I've received calls in the past from UA offering me re-routings to avoid potentially oversold flights.
Same here, and I took them. Of course they sweetened the pot by throwing in an upgrade.

Don't see that happening under the new regime.
Old May 29, 2011, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by halls120
Same here, and I took them. Of course they sweetened the pot by throwing in an upgrade.

Don't see that happening under the new regime.
Same for me as well but I declined and took a bump at the airport
Old May 29, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
This happened to me last Oct when an already fairly full Saturday evening IAD-SFO went from a domestic 777 (36F/312Y) to a domestic 767 (34F/210Y).

I was headed to SYD, and while I was flexibile, it was clearly the ICC that was calling me, they were only offering a $100 e-cert, and were adamant about no upgrades or anything else. Needless to say I turned them down, and they still needed a ton of volunteers at the gate.
Old May 29, 2011, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
One of our UX FTers has mentioned that, in the past, they have called up people the night before, if it looks like a flight is oversold..
Old May 31, 2011, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
I had hoped to get a DBC, and then rain hit ORD. The trip they tried removing me from ended up having a 2+ hour delay and ultimately canceled. I got rebooked on another trip at the airport when I saw the delay. Luckily I didn't take what they were offering. It would have caused a missed connection. If there is a chance for a DBC, I cannot pass it up.

Thanks for your stories on this. I would have thought more people would have had experience with this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 31, 2011 at 12:45 pm Reason: language
Old May 31, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
One of our UX FTers has mentioned that, in the past, they have called up people the night before, if it looks like a flight is oversold..
Mainly smaller stations though, right?
Old May 31, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by smashr
I was headed to SYD, and while I was flexibile, it was clearly the ICC that was calling me, they were only offering a $100 e-cert, and were adamant about no upgrades or anything else. Needless to say I turned them down, and they still needed a ton of volunteers at the gate.
Ugh, this is making me think I should never answer the phone from UA again. I received (and missed) a call from the ICC that my flight through ORD to LHR was cancelled. Had I talked to them, I probably would have cancelled the trip or ended up on a miserable connection. But the 1K line was able to find me a connection through LAX that had a new config 777 and Y->C availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.