Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What do you think of an official Do now the merger is on?

What do you think of an official Do now the merger is on?

Old May 28, 11, 9:12 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Posts: 4,318
What do you think of an official Do now the merger is on?

As many of you know I invented the Airline Do and have held three with continental. The largest frequent flyer event ever held. Having said that...

1) Is there value in a new UA do?
2) What is better ONE large event or perhaps three mid to large events in hubs?
3) Where would you hold it? Them?

Cigar
cigarman is offline  
Old May 28, 11, 10:34 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast Kansas | Colorado Native
Programs: Amex, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,769
I would think that ORD would be the best place to have a DO. Maybe Jeffrey could even stop by to say hello.
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old May 28, 11, 10:38 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Posts: 293
I'd be interested. ORD sounds like a great place. IAH wouldn't be bad, either.
aanswer is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 8:26 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 27 minutes north of EWR (on a good day)
Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Posts: 11,527
Originally Posted by cigarman View Post
As many of you know I invented the Airline Do and have held three with continental. The largest frequent flyer event ever held. Having said that...

1) Is there value in a new UA do?
2) What is better ONE large event or perhaps three mid to large events in hubs?
3) Where would you hold it? Them?

Cigar
This sounds like a fantastic idea. Count Me In if this comes becomes a reality.

1. I think there is a tremendous value in this type of event for both parties involved. The airlines basically get FREE feedback from a focus group of hard core frequent fliers who can tell them what they like and don't like and be very candid. The frequent fliers get an inside peek at the new airline, get to interact directly with top executives and share their thoughts and experiences.

2. I would tend to think one single, larger event, broken off into groups would be best.

3. Location, Location, Location. I would think ORD or SFO would be best suited for this type of an event.
jrzyshawn is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 8:30 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: EWR
Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Posts: 16,486
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn View Post
This sounds like a fantastic idea. Count Me In if this comes becomes a reality.

1. I think there is a tremendous value in this type of event for both parties involved. The airlines basically get FREE feedback from a focus group of hard core frequent fliers who can tell them what they like and don't like and be very candid. The frequent fliers get an inside peek at the new airline, get to interact directly with top executives and share their thoughts and experiences.

2. I would tend to think one single, larger event, broken off into groups would be best.

3. Location, Location, Location. I would think ORD or SFO would be best suited for this type of an event.
Plus1!^ This sounds like a great idea!

I joined FT right after DOIV, so never got to experience those events! I like the idea of a single event -- though I imagine it would attract a lot of interest! I would be game for ORD or SFO, as well!
mnmag is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 8:34 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CO hublette
Programs: UA 1K MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,213
This would be outstanding. From some of the threads recently, you might want to have two - one for CO folks and one for UA folks so there aren't fights.
trm2 is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 9:38 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 21,001
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
I would think that ORD would be the best place to have a DO. Maybe Jeffrey could even stop by to say hello.
I would think so too - but not holding out hope since the last one was down the street from his office and he couldn't make the time to show up.

Big ups to everyone else from UA/CO who did though, there was genuine excitement and interest from them to see us.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 1:56 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Posts: 38,181
Isn't this what the STARMegaDo3 is all about...and SMD2 started? But I'd certainly be in favour of a pure CO/UA merger Do.
Shareholder is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 3:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,284
Originally Posted by cigarman View Post
As many of you know I invented the Airline Do and have held three with continental. The largest frequent flyer event ever held. Having said that...
Congratulations but I am not sure what that has to do with your post.
neo_781 is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 4:39 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 33,319
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Isn't this what the STARMegaDo3 is all about...and SMD2 started?
No -- StarMegaDO is about chartering a plane and flying cool places and seeing cool stuff. The events Cigarman is referring to were sponsored by CO and held in Houston over a weekend. They occurred before any of the StarMegaDO events. We got to meet with executives, have tours of various facilities (simulators, baggage, catering, etc.). Think of it as the StarMegaDO 2 hangar event in Houston times ten.

I'd say that the natural place for this would be ORD for one event, and SFO, ORD, EWR/IAD if there were regional events.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 5:23 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BOS
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 853
Had a great time at CO DO IV. Would love to do another. ORD seems like a natural choice, though preferably not in January
notabob is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 5:27 pm
  #12  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Posts: 9,033
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
I would think that ORD would be the best place to have a DO. Maybe Jeffrey could even stop by to say hello.
Better than Jeff baby, maybe I'd be there to say hello.

If you're lucky, you'll get a mention in my always-anticipated Do review.
Originally Posted by joedish View Post
what does D.O. stand for?
"Do" is short for "To do," as in "A big to do."

My vote is for ORD. "Regional" Do's defeat the "uniting" purpose of a Do, in my hidebound opinion.
RNE is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 5:48 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 69,732
Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
Congratulations but I am not sure what that has to do with your post.
* It's called patting himself on the back

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
No -- StarMegaDO is about chartering a plane and flying cool places and seeing cool stuff. The events Cigarman is referring to were sponsored by CO and held in Houston over a weekend. They occurred before any of the StarMegaDO events. We got to meet with executives, have tours of various facilities (simulators, baggage, catering, etc.). Think of it as the StarMegaDO 2 hangar event in Houston times ten.

I'd say that the natural place for this would be ORD for one event, and SFO, ORD, EWR/IAD if there were regional events.
* The Dos the OP references was sponsored/paid for by the airline, which is dif than SMD. So a lot of coordination required & positive kudos to the OP, but not the same as putting his own butt/$$ on the line like the organizers did on SMD1/2 when they signed for the charter plane. But of course they/he got the airlines to ante up when it came to some of the stops & tours, so they're the same when it comes to that aspect & gosh bless them/him!

FWIW - I've heard good things about the CO Dos. I know CO put a lot of effort into them.

Also think that if it's going to a be a merged Do, then xyzzy has it spot on re: where the regionals should occur. But would say maybe add IAH to the regionals.

Originally Posted by RNE View Post
My vote is for ORD. "Regional" Do's defeat the "uniting" purpose of a Do, in my hidebound opinion.
While I agree in theory w/ your comment, not everyone will be able to make the main Do due to dates/airfare to get there/conflict w/ other stuff, whether bizness or personal.

So having some regional Dos in addition to a main Do doesn't mean there isn't a merging of the minds/programs/FTers.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 29, 11 at 6:34 pm
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 5:56 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DCA
Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,498
Originally Posted by cigarman View Post
As many of you know I invented the Airline Do and have held three with continental. The largest frequent flyer event ever held. Having said that...

1) Is there value in a new UA do?
2) What is better ONE large event or perhaps three mid to large events in hubs?
3) Where would you hold it? Them?

Cigar
1. Absolutely
2. ONE large event - a la CO DO IV - hub ones later.
3. Likely ORD for the big event since that is where UA is based.

P.S. Cigarman I thought you did 4 CO DO's. I attended all four!!
IAH CO DO I - Sat event at Marriott - Mexican Buffet in the upstairs tower with execs
IAH CO DO II - Sat event at Hanger with Texas BBQ
IAH CO DO III - Sat event - casino benefit night at PClub Term E
IAH CO DO IV - Sat event - mega Hanger event - contests, etc.

Although maybe DO IV was a Scott O'Leary DO.

Last edited by cova; May 30, 11 at 9:41 am
cova is offline  
Old May 29, 11, 6:11 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: LAX/SAN/CRQ
Programs: AS mvp gold UA 1K HH Gold
Posts: 85
ORD sounds to me like the natural choice. Great idea! ^ I'm in if it becomes a reality.
pfxlax is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread