Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA use Purser, Lead or Service Mgr? - UA to standardize on "Purser" post-Oct2018

Will UA use Purser, Lead or Service Mgr? - UA to standardize on "Purser" post-Oct2018

Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Whatever the name of that position is, on my flight ORD-PVG last week that person did not personally greet 1Ks. First time it did not happen on a long haul.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:02 am

I have a good question that i've not been able to figure out since the current uniforms were rolled out.

What on the ISM/Purser's uniform distinguishes them from the rest of the cabin crew? For example, sCO ISM uniforms had two stripes on the wrist portion of their jackets, but with current uniforms, I cant distinguish other than their name tag saying "ISM" or "Purser".

Please help me solve this mystery once and for all!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by EWR764
I am happy to hear this. The term "purser" has such historical significance that it was absurd to see it tossed aside for "fizzle".
Agreed ^ plus imho, the term "purser" is a classy term
EWR764, elbejt2 and fezzington like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by tuolumne
The name, from what I heard approx. 4 years ago, was to use Purser. Then it changed to the sCO term ISM during the wanying days of Smisek, went BACK to Purser, before the (awkward) FSL was then created. That lasted only a little longer than the bizarre pmCO livery typeface for United Airlines.

Now its back to pmUA purser like it rightfully should be.

Great to see it finally confirmed.
Each subsidiary continues to use their pre-merger identification. If you heard ISM on a flight, you were flying with a sCO crew. Purser was sUA, and will be the name for all after Oct. 1, with the vote to oust FSL/"Fizzle"

Originally Posted by trust77
I have a good question that i've not been able to figure out since the current uniforms were rolled out.

What on the ISM/Purser's uniform distinguishes them from the rest of the cabin crew? For example, sCO ISM uniforms had two stripes on the wrist portion of their jackets, but with current uniforms, I cant distinguish other than their name tag saying "ISM" or "Purser".

There is currently no difference, other than the name tag.

If you happen to be onboard a plane without a qualified ISM/Purser onboard, you probably wouldn't even know it.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by trust77

The person working the position wears the same uniform, but their name tag has the designation. Also, just because they have the designation does not mean they are the assigned purser/ISM on the flight - just means that they went through the extra training to be qualified.

Separately, if you look carefully, all UA FA uniforms have two stripes somewhere - most on the sleeves.

In the past, sUA had a different purser wing pin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.