Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the Status of the Planned Houston-Auckland Service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Status of the Planned Houston-Auckland Service?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by skidooman
Service to Auckland only makes sense if Bush Intercontinental is the only international gateway. Or so says UA.

Complete BS.

1- To fill a plane for Auckland, you will need connecting passengers from all over the East Coast

2- WN won't fly even near Auckland.

It is a pretty transparent attempt at blackmailing, and I hope authorities in Houston won't go for it. Competition is good, and UA just needs to compete. Period.
Well put^
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by Jorgen
If you really wanna go to New Zealand, don't let United's route structure deter you. Heck, NZ is *A anyway.
It is but the 777 they are flying 2 and fro the USA is 3-4-3 in Y

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
+1. Don't know why anyone would want to fly CO/UA to AKL if they could fly NZ, especially in BP or PE.
This as long as not in Y, If in Y I will fly UA to SYD then catch a Y+/C flight over to AKL for pretty much the same price as LAX->AKL direct and actually get MP credit

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
But would not fly all that way in cosch anyway. If you can afford C, great. If not NZ has one of the best premium economy sections there is. (and accrues full mileage)
Y+ in NZ is IMHO better then UA Domestic F in nearly every way (On the 777)
You do however pay for it
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
It is but the 777 they are flying 2 and fro the USA is 3-4-3 in Y
The 773 is only the LAX service, the SFO service is still a 744 and much more reasonable in Y. It even has a 34" pitch.

Incidentally, NZ has occasional sale fares on their E+. I picked up a cheap SFO-SYD in E+ for barely two grand recently (not the new 773 E+ but the old 744 one, still a lot better than regular Y). A nice thing about NZ E+ is that it earns a rather generous 1.5x EQM on United.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Just came across a rumor (originally from Aviation Week) that NZ is considering AKL-DEN and AKL-IAH routes. Link is to a Denver Post article. Interesting that there is a statement that NZ 777s can make both of these flights.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
certainly, there would have to be some reciprocity? If Air NZ get a new hub in US, then some carrier must get one in NZ in return. Isn't that the way it is played? United would want to keep its hold on Denver, maybe trade Auckland slot to Denver for NZ flying to Houston?

Hawaiian Air just announced 3 weekly flights to Auckland today.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I don't understand why Hemispheres still shows the IAH-AKL route.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by Duke777
I don't understand why Hemispheres still shows the IAH-AKL route.
Things to be printed in mass are often required to the printer in final format over 90 days before date of publication
I would expect that by september the issue is resolved
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tods27
Just came across a rumor (originally from Aviation Week) that NZ is considering AKL-DEN and AKL-IAH routes. Link is to a Denver Post article. Interesting that there is a statement that NZ 777s can make both of these flights.
Just saw the article, myself. It would be pretty cool if we got NZ service in DEN, although I wonder how much of a market there is for it.

I suppose it would offer easier connections to some intra-Australian routes, which require multiple stops. e.g., DEN-SFO-SYD-PER, vs DEN-AKL-PER.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just saw the article, myself. It would be pretty cool if we got NZ service in DEN, although I wonder how much of a market there is for it..
Ski Country USA to Ski Country NZ! I know a lot of avid skiers, and fellow ski instructors who go to NZ in the Northern summer for the Southern winter. There's an instructor training operation that is based partially in NZ and partially in CO USA. Ski racers, including Lindsey Vonn who just tweeted and FB'd a few days ago about arriving in NZ.

The elite racers like LV might even buy F. Of course us ski bums and instructor-bums are dirtbag poor, so we'd all be in the back of the bus. Sorry, it's UA, back of the boeing. Unless of course those A350 PMUA orders ever show up.

I wouldn't count on DEN-AKL replacing IAH-AKL. Skier-logic says yes, but skier-logic says "spend all your money on gear", not on paid premium cabins. If skier-logic worked with UA, we'd still have the DEN-LHR route and if it were kept only seasonal, it would be during the winter for the British Invasion of the Colorado High Country.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by MarkXS
Ski Country USA to Ski Country NZ! I know a lot of avid skiers, and fellow ski instructors who go to NZ in the Northern summer for the Southern winter. There's an instructor training operation that is based partially in NZ and partially in CO USA. Ski racers, including Lindsey Vonn who just tweeted and FB'd a few days ago about arriving in NZ.

The elite racers like LV might even buy F. Of course us ski bums and instructor-bums are dirtbag poor, so we'd all be in the back of the bus. Sorry, it's UA, back of the boeing. Unless of course those A350 PMUA orders ever show up.

I wouldn't count on DEN-AKL replacing IAH-AKL. Skier-logic says yes, but skier-logic says "spend all your money on gear", not on paid premium cabins. If skier-logic worked with UA, we'd still have the DEN-LHR route and if it were kept only seasonal, it would be during the winter for the British Invasion of the Colorado High Country.
"The Vonn-tourage" has its own plane I am sure. And extra space for LV's ego...

Which is better for southern hemisphere skiing in June or July, Chile or NZ?

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jul 23, 2012 at 3:34 pm
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
UA should fly LAX or SFO-AKL before attempting to do IAH or DEN. Both LAX and SFO have enough connecting passengers to make it work. CO wanted IAH-AKL to mimic Qantas SYD-DFW, but with UA's network, that is now not necessary.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
At any rate, I wish UA would sort something out to NZ. ANZ simply doesn't put enough, hardly any, award flights out to MP awards. Last year I took 4 trips to Europe via Sydney to catch UA flights, on cramped, ancient planes, with bad food and 1970s era one cabin movies. I could fly Singapore, ANZ and other carriers cheaper, more direct, with better service and planes, but I've remained loyal to UA. It's about time it returned the favor.

Qantas has just pulled its direct service from NZ to west coast USA, leaving ANZ with monopoly. There ought to be some room to expand UA service here.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:44 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by syrahnose
At any rate, I wish UA would sort something out to NZ. ANZ simply doesn't put enough, hardly any, award flights out to MP awards. Last year I took 4 trips to Europe via Sydney to catch UA flights, on cramped, ancient planes, with bad food and 1970s era one cabin movies. I could fly Singapore, ANZ and other carriers cheaper, more direct, with better service and planes, but I've remained loyal to UA. It's about time it returned the favor.

Qantas has just pulled its direct service from NZ to west coast USA, leaving ANZ with monopoly. There ought to be some room to expand UA service here.
I don't think UA will start this service, because their Star Alliance partner has a large market share and I believe you can book award tickets on Air NZ using United miles. If anyone starts this route, my guess would be Delta, because SkyTeam has no direct US-NZ service. Oneworld doesn't either, but AA probably has other issues to deal with right now, and if Qantas couldn't make it work then AA probably can't either.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by syrahnose
I could fly Singapore, ANZ and other carriers cheaper, more direct, with better service and planes, but I've remained loyal to UA. It's about time it returned the favor.
UA intends to maximise profits, not to return any favors. I would suggest you fly with other carriers, more cheaply, direct and with better service and planes.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
I don't think UA will start this service, because their Star Alliance partner has a large market share and I believe you can book award tickets on Air NZ using United miles. If anyone starts this route, my guess would be Delta, because SkyTeam has no direct US-NZ service. Oneworld doesn't either, but AA probably has other issues to deal with right now, and if Qantas couldn't make it work then AA probably can't either.
actually it is virtually impossible to book award tickets and connecting code-share flights on ANZ. One wonders if they are both Star Alliance allies now? I've booked 2 30k flights to EU and back, which have to route met backwards to Australia to US then EU. On top of that, the final leg of my journey from Sydney to Wellington is on Qantas, which means I can't use any gold card baggage allowances. And if I pack my bag using US weights, they won't carry it to NZ from Oz.

Originally Posted by hyho61
UA should fly LAX or SFO-AKL before attempting to do IAH or DEN. Both LAX and SFO have enough connecting passengers to make it work. CO wanted IAH-AKL to mimic Qantas SYD-DFW, but with UA's network, that is now not necessary.
that makes much sense, or Seattle. Right now there are so few cooperative connections between ANZ (I'm getting routed UA-Qantas) and UA that UA must have opportunities to fly high profit routes between coasts. ANZ charges as much to fly to EU as West Coast of USA, halfway there.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.