Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Regional and System Wide Upgrades

I am sure this has been mentioned somewhere else, but just got this in an email:

"A note about upgrades.

We understand how important upgrades are to you. Currently, elite members of both programs enjoy unlimited upgrades on domestic flights on both United and Continental. This summer, you'll be able to use your Regional and Systemwide upgrades on Continental flights (with a few limitations). And once we have completed our merger, you will enjoy your upgrade benefits across our worldwide network. Rest assured, we are working to make your upgrade experience consistent across our worldwide network, as quickly as possible."

Right after my trip to Greece.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Sorry if I missed the announcement in another thread, but in the email that came to announce these changes it also included a change to upgrades with miles/copay.

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53714,00.html

From what I can tell the miles amounts as well as copays have gone up a fair amount on a number of international segments.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Originally Posted by zabes64
I don't think $mi$ek has ever flown United from Hub to Hub, I've been on BWI-SFO flights that were 30+ people on the Red Carpet, and what does he think, he can just call up 1st class and global service? there will have been 10 premiers waiting in that blue line blocking it for 20+ minutes already.

This may work in smaller airports, but where is the $ loyalty? Plus credit card holders get access to that line?

This is absolutely awful.
Absolutely aweful.
Guess what? ........ We "Like" it.... Ain't we? Now click "Share".
Old May 18, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Appreciate the update. Will be interested to see how everything plays out at ORD when I'm there this weekend.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
What's happening to our airline??? No more pillows in domestic F? Gauze blankets?

$mi$ek strikes again. Again, so much for a merger of equals and a combination of the best of both worlds...

btw, did anybody else notice that they left 1K off of the sign in the email?
Old May 18, 2011, 1:40 pm

Just sent this email to the Global Services email address:

Hello,

I am writing about the newly annouced Premier Access changes that will affect the check in counters, security lines, and boarding red/blue carpet lane. As someone who has been Global Services for the past 3 years and 1K for many years prior, I have come to greatly value the convenience of having an exclusive area for check-in, security lines, and the ability to board via the carpeted lanes. I believe these benefits should continue to be restricted to 1K and Global Services members. By expanding the eligible pool for these benefits to anyone who is Premier or higher, the lines for these services will increase to the point that they will provide little or no benefit over the regular lines.

As someone who travels as frequently as I do, every minute I save is important, and I believe these changes will greatly lengthen the travel experience for your most loyal and highest revenue flyers. I urge you to reconsider or at least retain some degree of benefits separation in the airport for 1K members and above. As it stands now, I believe you are going to greatly dissatisfy a large base of your customers, and if the incremental benefits for being 1K are going to be greatly reduced, I could forsee a great many customers choosing to stay at lower levels of the Premier program rather than flying the extra amount it takes to become 1K.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Thanks for the update, and confirming my choice to not pursue 1K this year as the correct one. I am sorry to see the dismantling of a business airline, for a recreational traveler edition that is unlikely to meet my needs as the erosion of top tier benefits continue.
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
Yeah, it's such a tough decision to continue to reduce the benefits of high level UA elites. I've been 1K for more than 10 years. Guess it's really time to make the "not so tough anymore" decision to move over to the dAArk side. Clearly, the new UA dislikes its loyal 1K customers. Some reduction of benefits are understandable due to business reasons. But the new boarding process, the elimination of 1K check-in, and elimination of 1K security lines at the major airports clearly shows that the new UA has a clear disdain of the 1Ks.

I was planning to make 1K this year and see what happens after the completion of the single operating certificate. But it's obvious that I shouldn't bother to wait. I already qualified for 1P next year, not that I am likely to use its benefits next year as it stands now. The SWUs are next to useless now with the NC space essentially have gone to zero for advanced bookings. I've not had a SWU clear so far this year. Time to vote with the wallet.
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
I'm starting to think the same. I definitely think 1P is worth having, at least for another year, but I can't justify shooting for 1K again under these conditions. Just this week's news - no pillows and no more 1K-only check-in - is pushing me over the edge. I'm at around 40k EQM and will probably earn the next 10k for 1P in Q3 to get 2 more CR-1s, and then I'm done.

I'm considering a paid r/t in J/F on AA to try out their domestic and int'l services, but otherwise I may just stop flying so much.
I tend to agree with these posts: 1ks are getting our benefits diluted as the Contenited approach appears to be targeting the mid-tier flier rather than catering to the top tier flyer.

We see this with the NC0/W fare situation and the migration of former 1k benefits either up to the GS level or down to the mid-tier elite level.

The funny thing is that as a MM I am (for now, at least, until they potentially Contenited the program) a mid-tier flyer for life...so I can stop flying Contenited altogether and still enjoy 'top' mid-tier benefits on the few occasions that I do end up on a Contenited flight! No more striving to make 1k...I can take the cheaper Z fare to Europe on other carriers and save a bunch of dough and still get top level check-in, boarding and seats on Contenited when I do fly them! @:-)

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

btw, did anybody else notice that they left 1K off of the sign in the email?
Actually, that was the FIRST thing I noticed.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I tend to agree with these posts: 1ks are getting our benefits diluted as the Contenited approach appears to be targeting the mid-tier flier rather than catering to the top tier flyer.

We see this with the NC0/W fare situation and the migration of former 1k benefits either up to the GS level or down to the mid-tier elite level.

The funny thing is that as a MM I am (for now, at least, until they potentially Contenited the program) a mid-tier flyer for life...so I can stop flying Contenited altogether and still enjoy 'top' mid-tier benefits on the few occasions that I do end up on a Contenited flight! No more striving to make 1k...I can take the cheaper Z fare to Europe on other carriers and save a bunch of dough and still get top level check-in, boarding and seats on Contenited when I do fly them! @:-)

Actually, that was the FIRST thing I noticed.
On the account linking page, my status (as a Global Services member) is showing as "Premier 1K". It sounds like they are now considering 1K as a sub-class of Premier.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Premier Access forgot about 1K

Did anyone get the Premier Access Email from United today? It lists the priority order as follows:

Global Services
Presidential Platinum
First Class
Business Class
OnePass Elite
Mileage Plus Premier
Star Alliance Gold/Silver

It wil apply to:

Priority lanes and ticket counters at check-in
Priority security lanes (where available)
Priority blue carpet boarding lanes at gates
Priority baggage handling

Is United really stupid enough to forget about 1K, or is this intentional?
Old May 18, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Excalibur
On the account linking page, my status (as a Global Services member) is showing as "Premier 1K". It sounds like they are now considering 1K as a sub-class of Premier.
The way things are going, 1K will soon become less than a GM.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I thought I was the only one who caught that! Yes, you're right- they forgot 1K.

Also, this is a pretty clear indication that the loyalty program will maintain the "premier" designations!

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Did anyone get the Premier Access Email from United today? It lists the priority order as follows:

Global Services
Presidential Platinum
First Class
Business Class
OnePass Elite
Mileage Plus Premier
Star Alliance Gold/Silver

It wil apply to:

Priority lanes and ticket counters at check-in
Priority security lanes (where available)
Priority blue carpet boarding lanes at gates
Priority baggage handling

Is United really stupid enough to forget about 1K, or is this intentional?

Last edited by globetraveler; May 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm Reason: Adding...
Old May 18, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by globetraveler
they forgot 1K.
I think those three words reasonably summarize the philosophy of the post-merger United

It's like a "He forgot Poland" for frequent travelers.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Maybe it's an intentional statement about what new UA really thinks of 1Ks.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
It also does not list Premier Executive.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can all elites now use the IAD intl->domestic security line?

I have an oddly specific question.

One big frustration in IAD is clearing customs in a series of hot, poorly air conditioned rooms which are really more like zoos:

(1) You wait to have your passport stamped in an enormous cattle queue -- no big deal (especially if you bite the bullet and buy Global Entry)

(2) You wait to pick up and re-check your bags -- no big deal because (1) is so slow

(3) You wait to re-clear security so you can enter the secure part of the terminal. Here there is a special line that says Global Services/United First. Whether people traveling in domestic first class (or domestic upgraded F) are allowed to use it has never been clear. In fact most agents seem to be making up the rules as they go along -- last time I was there, an agent was trying to keep out people she thought of as riff-raff (not GS, F, or uniformed crew) and eventually threw up her hands in frustration and walked away.

My oddly specific question:
Now that it appears that there's just one "Premier Access" product for all elites, will all 1K/1P/2P members be able to use this special line in IAD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.