Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Some good updates there, thank you Scott!

Specifically, I like the fee waiver for pmOP Gold members on same-day changes, and of course, carpet boarding.

I really couldn't care less what color the carpet is when I board, but the really nice thing about Golds being able to use the bypass lane, is that if I get to the gate late for whatever reason, I'm not stuck behind the gargantuan line. I can use the carpet to cut in front. It happens occasionally when catching a connection, and with the pmUA boarding system, it meant I'd get stuck. Not anymore. Cool!

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Online checkin slves that issue as long as you don't have to check bags.
I'm holding US non-immigration visa legally living in the States. Using either online or self check-in machine at the airport would never get me boarding pass for international travel. I would only get DM card and require me reporting to gate agent again. Wasting my time, IMO. Therefore, I would rather see agent to check me in to avoid hassle for international travel. Not everyone has US passport.

I just don't get why both UA and CO change international cut-off time from 45 to 60 minutes.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1Kpogoyoyo
Mr O’Leary,

You are making a mistake in changing the boarding process from Zone to "Back to Front" and I hope you listen to your most loyal (and highest revenue generating) customers. Please reconsider the choice and return to the more efficient Zone Seating process. Surely, someone must have looked at studie on this topic, like the one at http://leeds-faculty.colorado.edu/va...g.htm#section2?

I traveled out from ORD to MCO yesterday and I was not impressed with the new branding, the boarding procees or the condition of the United Red Carpet club in Concourse B South. I hope this is not a preview of the things to come.

United 1K members SPEAK UP! Send your concerns to [customer service] NOW! We can make a difference.....

Pogo
if you're a 1K the only difference will be the amount of people on the red carpet and not maybe not being able to simply walk up at any time and find no one standing on the RC after general boarding has started

Personally I think opening the RC flood gates to almost everyone is a mistake
Old May 18, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1P
did I read that 2p now gets priority tags?
Old May 18, 2011, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by craz
if you're a 1K the only difference will be the amount of people on the red carpet and not maybe not being able to simply walk up at any time and find no one standing on the RC after general boarding has started

Personally I think opening the RC flood gates to almost everyone is a mistake
Actually, it's all about boarding time, not the red carpet. Folks who travel more than 100,000 miles per year already spend enough time in airports and on equipment. Last year alone, I sat on at least 100 different aircraft. If you arbitrarily add 10 minutes per flight for reduced boarding efficiency, that equates to 16 hours per year of waiting. Every minute counts, let's not waste them....

pogo
Old May 18, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mudba
did I read that 2p now gets priority tags?
Looks like it. Both UA/CO website shows 2P/Silver receiving priority baggage handling on UA/CO equipments.

http://www.united.com/page/article/1...cessPrivileges

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...e/default.aspx
Old May 18, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Somebody mentioned on Twitter that the carpet was becoming blue?
Old May 18, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Would make sense since there is no red left anywhere in the logo...

I couldn't care less what color the carpet is.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
From the website:

Premier Access priority boarding: Be one of the first customers to board, or take your time and use the reserved blue carpet line at any time
Old May 18, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: Various
Well, most of these I can handle, I guess. I like the free SDC for Premier Exec+ - even though I'm 1K, I thought that the 50k+ fliers should get that perk all along. I do NOT like the elimination of 1K+ only check-in, though. Assuming that this will be implemented in European airports as well, I could see this making my travel from LHR, in particular, becoming a lot more onerous.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
The Premier Access webpage mentions International First, Business Class, and Business First as being eligible for Premier Access (along with elites and credit card members)

What about domestic first? Is this an oversight, or if I buy a domestic first class ticket will I not be eligible for Premier Access check-in and security lines?
Given UDU I would expect every Domestic First passenger to be an elite, so rather redundant. Nobody actually buys a domestic F fare!
Old May 18, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Same-Day Flight Changes.
We’ve also aligned and expanded who is exempt from these fees: OnePass Gold/Platinum/Presidential Platinum and Mileage Plus Premier Executive/1K/Global Services members when traveling on either airline.

Excellent!

Also, 1Kpogoyoyo we get that you feel strongly about boarding, but you don't have to post the same comment multiple times.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:00 am

Mr. O’Leary,

You are making a mistake in changing the boarding process from Zone to "Back to Front" and I hope you listen to your most loyal (and highest revenue generating) customers. Please reconsider the choice and return to the more efficient Zone Seating process. Surely, someone must have looked at studies on this topic, like the one at http://leeds-faculty.colorado.edu/va...g/boarding.htmI traveled out from ORD to MCO yesterday and I was not impressed with the new branding, the boarding procees or the condition of the United Red Carpet club in Concourse B South. I hope this is not a preview of the things to come.

United 1K members SPEAK UP! Send your concerns to [private elite contact info deleted by moderator] NOW! We can make a difference.....

Pogo

Mr O'Leary is a spokesperson. It wasn't him who thought up the new boarding process it was several upper level employees as a whole who decided on this. Also wht is emailing someone at UA gonna do? With the exception of a few who actually do respond, your jus gonna get a canned response tht says :
Dear so and so thank you so much for contacting us about the new boarding procedures we apprecitate your time blah blah blah our staff is looking into blah blah blah I seriously doubt there gonna revert back to zone boarding.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm Reason: conforming edit to original quoted material
Old May 18, 2011, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mechteach
I do NOT like the elimination of 1K+ only check-in, though. Assuming that this will be implemented in European airports as well, I could see this making my travel from LHR, in particular, becoming a lot more onerous.
I'm surprised at this. I travel out of LHR regularly and I've never encountered more than 2 or 3 people combined in the lines for 1P/2P and 1K/C. I tend to be there between 10 and 12, so perhaps you are earlier.

I can't see that this change makes a big difference to me.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
United 1K members SPEAK UP! Send your concerns to [email protected] NOW! We can make a difference.....

Eh, I'll save it for when they gut something more substantial. If they want to screw up their #1 ON TIME performance, let them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.