Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hartmann
It's sad you'll have to mingle with the "lesser" folks when checking in.
Not sure it has anything to do with that. Im a CO Plat so im used to boarding with ALL levels of elites. I think the bigger issue is its just another perceived perk being taken away to their highest level flyers. I know myself I hate losing any perk considering how much i give to CO. I think we can all agree that they are clearly taking more then giving us. At least so far.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
As a 1P I am quite happy to have standby back at no additional charge. ^^^^

And it will be nice to get Red Carpet when upgrades don't clear.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Interesting stuff, thanks. I noticed however an absence of anything to do with UDU's. I wonder if thats still in the pipeline?
Old May 18, 2011, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Well, from ORD, it appears the transformation to all Continental all the time is underway. Outside security the big changes are gold and blue everywhere, and all separation of 1k or first class from the rest of ALL elites has disappeared. Just one big Premier Access area where 1k used to be. It is hard to identify anything UA.

The security line was much slower than before, as all elites now use the former 1k/GS lane. At the gate everything is Continental blue, with only United remaining as the name. Can't wait for more "improvements".
I meant to post this here. Still learning the iPad.
Surprised the non 1Ks figured out the new security line benefit so quickly without anything more than a sign change.

Usually we just go through our routine and not notice unless notified otherwise
Old May 18, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: UA, AA
The Premier Access webpage mentions International First, Business Class, and Business First as being eligible for Premier Access (along with elites and credit card members)

What about domestic first? Is this an oversight, or if I buy a domestic first class ticket will I not be eligible for Premier Access check-in and security lines?
Old May 18, 2011, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
sell oven baked cookies
^ ^

CO's inferior IT systems can't handle zone boarding, which I guess drove that decision. oops.
Maybe as they move further on the transition, they'll be able to fix it.
Old May 18, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Update from ORD, apparently United hired some Jehovah's Witnesses to walk the airport handing out chapstick and mints.

On a sad note, my flight is a 'bus 320 in the "new" colors. My first flight on Continental in a long time!
Old May 18, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Upgrades on award tickets

Will upgrades on award tickets be permitted with the Chase credit card on United?
Old May 18, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Will Silvers/2Ps have a discount on a same-day change? Previously, Gold paid $25 instead of $50. Any discount for Silvers? And when does that change go into effect?

Originally Posted by Pingtung
As stated by UA Insider:

In other words, new UA picked the one they liked better. I think we would all like to know the rationale for reverting to back-to-front boarding.

A few positives, a few business decisions that some won't like, an odd selection of boarding procedure, and a general lack of creativity in all things UA brand.
What was UA's boarding policy (excluding F, GS, 1K...) As in for CO, general boarding is back-to-front. What was UA's?
Old May 18, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Aligned Check-in Requirements. Starting on Jun. 15th, we will have aligned check-in requirements for both airlines. For domestic flights, this means a consistent 45-minute baggage check-in cut-off for our hubs and exception airports (30 minutes if you don’t have bags to check), and 30 minutes for all other airports. For international flights, the check-in cut-off time will be 60 minutes regardless of whether you’re checking bags (except for LIM which is 75 minutes and KSA/KWA/MAJ/NAN/PNI/ROR/TKK which are 90 minutes).
Worth noting: The international check-in cut-off for United will increase by 15 minutes (was 45 minutes). The domestic baggage check-in cut-off will increase by 15 minutes in Continental’s domestic hubs (EWR, IAH, and CLE). There are also 10 airports that will no longer require a 45-minute check-in cut-off (CLT, IND, JFK, ONT, PDX, PHL, RNO, SJU, SMF and SNA). All cut-off time changes will take effect Jun. 15th. For more information see united.com and continental.com.
International check-in cut-off time from 45 to 60 minutes. This is not fun...
Old May 18, 2011, 8:45 am

Merger Update: Boarding Process Mistake

Mr O’Leary,

You are making a mistake in changing the boarding process from Zone to "Back to Front" and I hope you listen to your most loyal (and highest revenue generating) customers. Please reconsider the choice and return to the more efficient Zone Seating process. Surely, someone must have looked at studie on this topic, like the one at http://leeds-faculty.colorado.edu/va...g.htm#section2?

I traveled out from ORD to MCO yesterday and I was not impressed with the new branding, the boarding procees or the condition of the United Red Carpet club in Concourse B South. I hope this is not a preview of the things to come.

United 1K members SPEAK UP! Send your concerns to [email protected] <[email protected]> NOW! We can make a difference.....

Pogo

Last edited by 1Kpogoyoyo; May 18, 2011 at 9:37 am Reason: Deleted unpublished elite contact info, per FT Rules.
Old May 18, 2011, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mckerrow
International check-in cut-off time from 45 to 60 minutes. This is not fun...
Online checkin slves that issue as long as you don't have to check bags.
Old May 18, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat
Can you start offering ice cream sundaes on UA to Hawaii by June 15th? Pretty please?
Old May 18, 2011, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider
These were difficult decisions, but we ultimately went with an approach we could support consistently across both airlines. Thanks for your patience while we roll this out.
Originally Posted by Pingtung
In other words, new UA picked the one they liked better. I think we would all like to know the rationale for reverting to back-to-front boarding.
Originally Posted by joedish
Why were these difficult decisions?
I actually read this a little differently. Note the words "approach we could support consistently". This leads me to believe that maybe there was a systems issue on the CO side that forced them to choose the lowest common denominator approach. Kind of sucks, but maybe we'll see future improvement here.
Old May 18, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
Interesting stuff, thanks. I noticed however an absence of anything to do with UDU's. I wonder if thats still in the pipeline?
lIke what?

Elites get recriprocal upgrades now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.