Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:41 pm

I have a flight EWR-SFO on Monday at 6:00 PM.

Is there any possible way to SDC to EWR-SFO on Sunday at 6:07 PM? It's within 24 hours (23 hours and 53 minutes), so it seems like it's technically possible but logistically impossible. If I show up at the EWR airport counter at 5:30 PM on Sunday, do you think they'll be willing to help? I'm Gold if that matters at all.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sincx
I have a flight EWR-SFO on Monday at 6:00 PM.

Is there any possible way to SDC to EWR-SFO on Sunday at 6:07 PM? It's within 24 hours (23 hours and 53 minutes), so it seems like it's technically possible but logistically impossible. If I show up at the EWR airport counter at 5:30 PM on Sunday, do you think they'll be willing to help? I'm Gold if that matters at all.
Hmm. Tough one. If you can find a way to get behind security so you can be at the departure gate, it might be possible, but even then, that's a stretch, as your check-in window opens less than 10 minutes before the earlier flight's departure, which at that point, the departure door is most likely going to be closed.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I found out the hard way that SDC for one leg of a multi-segment itinerary results in you getting kicked out of your upgraded seat - even if you keep the original flights.

Was scheduled COS-DEN-LGA where DEN-LGA had already cleared the upgrade. Noticing that I had less than 30 min connection in DEN I did a SDC online for an earlier COS-DEN but keeping the same DEN-LGA flight. After I confirmed the change I noticed my seat assignment changed from 5B to 34E

Several frantic calls to UA resulted me getting my upgrade back fortunately but I would've been screwed had the cabin been full. Apparently the changes are applied instantly and there's no going back if you make a mistake. It took 3 calls and a helpful agent to get me back up front.

Lesson learned. If you have an upgrade on a leg be aware that SDC applies to the whole itinerary and it will put you back on the WL. You're better off calling UA or just doing standby for the single leg.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mrswirl
I did a SDC online for an earlier COS-DEN but keeping the same DEN-LGA flight.
Using the OLCI SDC tool or the "change flights" link?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Using the OLCI SDC tool or the "change flights" link?
The "flight options" link at the bottom of my reservation details page. I was then presented with same day change options.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by mrswirl
I found out the hard way that SDC for one leg of a multi-segment itinerary results in you getting kicked out of your upgraded seat - even if you keep the original flights.

Was scheduled COS-DEN-LGA where DEN-LGA had already cleared the upgrade. Noticing that I had less than 30 min connection in DEN I did a SDC online for an earlier COS-DEN but keeping the same DEN-LGA flight. After I confirmed the change I noticed my seat assignment changed from 5B to 34E

Several frantic calls to UA resulted me getting my upgrade back fortunately but I would've been screwed had the cabin been full. Apparently the changes are applied instantly and there's no going back if you make a mistake. It took 3 calls and a helpful agent to get me back up front.

Lesson learned. If you have an upgrade on a leg be aware that SDC applies to the whole itinerary and it will put you back on the WL. You're better off calling UA or just doing standby for the single leg.
That's the way the process works. No surprise you had to make three calls to get it "fixed"...even though the agent that "fixed" it shouldn't have per the policy. You should have been back on the upgrade list and only upgraded if you were next in line and the CPU system picked you or at the gate and the agent upgrades you.

Glad you were able to fly up front from the longer segment but next time you might want to try calling UA for this SDC. They might have better luck preserving the second flight and only SDC'ing the first one without causing this issue.

-RM
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
That's the way the process works. No surprise you had to make three calls to get it "fixed"...even though the agent that "fixed" it shouldn't have per the policy. You should have been back on the upgrade list and only upgraded if you were next in line and the CPU system picked you or at the gate and the agent upgrades you.

Glad you were able to fly up front from the longer segment but next time you might want to try calling UA for this SDC. They might have better luck preserving the second flight and only SDC'ing the first one without causing this issue.

-RM
Could you explain where in the policy it says that upgrades on untouched segments are lost? I can't see it anywhere on UA.com. It may be the way the system works, but as with companion CPUs the way it "works" and the way it's supposed to work may differ substantially.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by alex_b
Could you explain where in the policy it says that upgrades on untouched segments are lost? I can't see it anywhere on UA.com. It may be the way the system works, but as with companion CPUs the way it "works" and the way it's supposed to work may differ substantially.
When the OP SDC'd the flights COS-DEN-LGA, the DEN-LGA flight is not "untouched"; it is, indeed, SDC'd. In fact, the flight options the OP selected (earlier COS-DEN, same DEN-LGA flight) only showed up because the original coach fare class was still available on DEN-LGA. Otherwise, that flight combination would never have shown up.

It's unfortunate UA.com is not as explicit about losing upgrades during the SDC process as the chicken (aka airport kiosk) is. That machine tells you before you even see available flights that you will lose your upgrades and asks if you want to proceed. The website doesn't do that.

-RM
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
When the OP SDC'd the flights COS-DEN-LGA, the DEN-LGA flight is not "untouched"; it is, indeed, SDC'd. In fact, the flight options the OP selected (earlier COS-DEN, same DEN-LGA flight) only showed up because the original coach fare class was still available on DEN-LGA. Otherwise, that flight combination would never have shown up.

It's unfortunate UA.com is not as explicit about losing upgrades during the SDC process as the chicken (aka airport kiosk) is. That machine tells you before you even see available flights that you will lose your upgrades and asks if you want to proceed. The website doesn't do that.

-RM
Indeed. Which is why I was surprised when the website processed the change without so much as a confirmation or warning. It seems there should be an option to SDC on a per-segment basis and leave the other flights truly "untouched". It works this way for standby.

Btw, I'm not an inexperienced rube here...in fact I consider myself pretty savvy with web programming and UA reservation rules in general so I can only imagine what a non-tech person would experience. If they can program a chicken to do it then leaving it out of the website is just poor design.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Hmm. Tough one. If you can find a way to get behind security so you can be at the departure gate, it might be possible, but even then, that's a stretch, as your check-in window opens less than 10 minutes before the earlier flight's departure, which at that point, the departure door is most likely going to be closed.
Update - I showed up at the Premier check in counter at 5 PM and a super busy agent was nice enough to make the flight change. Took her 20 seconds. ^
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sincx
Update - I showed up at the Premier check in counter at 5 PM and a super busy agent was nice enough to make the flight change. Took her 20 seconds. ^
Always nice when they go the extra mile.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:12 pm

I know it's very unlikely but....

I'm flying A->B->C->D where C and D are international cities in Asia.

There is a 2h15m layover at B where I catch my international flight.

Given all the hoopla surrounding FAA delays, I was wanting to try to fly A to B the evening before and then catch B to C the following afternoon (still within 24 hours).

I know from the FAQ that creating an illegal layover like I'd be doing in this case is unlikely to be successful but I was wondering if anyone has had success with it... and if so, what their experience/tactics were?

I'd just rather not miss my international legs because my first leg is delayed and then arrive at my destination a day late and in a middle seat at the back.

If it makes a difference, I'm Premier Gold.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
IME, this is actually very doable -- it's creating the illegal layover by moving later segments (or changing everything altogether) that's difficult. Just call and make it very clear that you only want to play with the first segment. I've done it a couple times.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Can you SDC an itin with a LH segment? SFO-EWR-CDG-MUC -> SFO-ORD-CDG-(later)MUC
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First
Same Day Flight Change - More miles if I connect?

I'm new to United and have a quick question. Tomorrow I'm flying SFO-ORD but am planning to change my flight. If I switch to a connecting flight (e.g. SFO-IAD-ORD) will I earn the original miles for ORD-SFO or will I earn more miles based on the route I actually fly?

I know this is a simple question, but I couldn't find an answer in another thread.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.