Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com change flight link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
I was under the impression that Same Day Changes were for earlier travel on the same day, not a subsequent day.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
A some day confirmed change is only available on the day of travel for your original ticket. Thus if you leave today you can book your flight 3 hours before that departure if available. If you miss your flight you will have to pay the change fee plus fare difference, if you show up the next day.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:49 am

Using OLCI for Same Day Confirmed Standby

I have a question for those who have received a confirmed same day standby when used on line check in. The United policies make it seem that this is possible if you are within three hours of your requested standby flight. But I tried this yesterday. And although I was given the option using on-line check-in to standby for a different flight, there was no option to confirm the seat. I was given the standard depart management card for the standby flight and a boarding pass for my original flight. There were seats available on the flight I wanted to stand by for. Did I do this wrong? I didn't want to call in and once I got to the airport it cleared easily. But I was just curious why I couldn't do this at check-in on line.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by schley
A some day confirmed change is only available on the day of travel for your original ticket. ....
That is true for UA's SDC. CO allows changes to within 24 hours (before / after) your scheduled flighttime. The rules are still separate. What the OP desires to do can be done on a CO operated flight (assuming seat availability) but not on a UA operated flight.

So the question for the OP, who is the operator of your flight (operator, not who sold / marketed the flight)?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by entrada
... Did I do this wrong? I didn't want to call in and once I got to the airport it cleared easily. But I was just curious why I couldn't do this at check-in on line.
Belive only Standby is available with OLCI. Did you try the OnLine Change Reservation for SDC?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 5:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
I have a question for those who have received a confirmed same day standby when used on line check in. The United policies make it seem that this is possible if you are within three hours of your requested standby flight. But I tried this yesterday. And although I was given the option using on-line check-in to standby for a different flight, there was no option to confirm the seat. I was given the standard depart management card for the standby flight and a boarding pass for my original flight. There were seats available on the flight I wanted to stand by for. Did I do this wrong? I didn't want to call in and once I got to the airport it cleared easily. But I was just curious why I couldn't do this at check-in on line.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Belive only Standby is available with OLCI. Did you try the OnLine Change Reservation for SDC?
I've been able to change UA flights within 3 hours via online check-in providing the flight is not oversold, so it can be done. When available there's a
"Change Flight" button you can click on.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by jeffery352
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've searched through the forum and can't find my exact situation.

I booked a ticket a good six weeks ago that has a return flight tomorrow, except now I need to stay here until Monday. Is it possible to do the "same day change" tomorrow AM and bump it back to Sunday, and then do it again on Sunday and bump it to Monday?

If not I'll just do the $150 change fee. (and not in the path of the hurricane, so no free changes on my radar).

Thank y'all!
My understanding is that if you are CO metal this is possible, if you are lucky that the necessary inventory buckets are available. That is a big if, because often CO only opens up the cheaper inventory buckets a few hours before a flight. But in theory if there is a wide-open flight 23 hours later, you can do a SDC to that, and the next day you can try another one.

It is not possible on UA because UA has only a 3-hour SDC window.

This is one area where it would be nice if UACO adopts the CO policies

I believe that it will only give you an immediate confirmation if the flight is not oversold. So while UA may still be selling Y or B fares on the flight, by overselling it, they won't do SDC confirms onto the flight but they will let you put yourself on the standby list.

Depending on how far you are from the airport, the 3-hour limit is pretty tight, in many cases you need to pack and be ready to leave for the airport before you can even try for the SDC, so it's not a whole lot better than heading to the airport and just standing by.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:12 am

Question about standby LAX-IAD

I am holding a confirmed seat on a LAX-IAD flight for Sept. 2 and would like to standby for an earlier flight in order to have more time before our international connection at IAD. I would like to get on UA#950. At the present time, UA doesn't seem to be selling "Y" seats. But they have plenty (10+) Business seats available. Should I expect to be able to standby in this situation?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Greetings All:

1K/CO PE, here flying to Hawaii on Friday, August 2 with the TPAC portion being the non-stop from EWR. Ticket is CO stock (005), ticketed on CO.com, and on CO metal. Fare is "G" bucket (got in on the sale a few months back). Following questions:

1) Assume I'll need to call CO elite line to do SDC and may do so starting 24-hours from originally scheduled departure?

2) May I SDC onto UA metal with different routing to Hawaii? (I think so if the fares rules permit a particular different connection point).

3) Am I stuck with having to find the "G" bucket on the UA flights (that'll be likely impossible or will the "H" bucket rule apply)?

Thanks in advance!

Safe Travels
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GTITAN
1) Assume I'll need to call CO elite line to do SDC and may do so starting 24-hours from originally scheduled departure?
You may also try to do it online. CO does offer online options during the OLCI process IME.

2) May I SDC onto UA metal with different routing to Hawaii? (I think so if the fares rules permit a particular different connection point).
Yes. The catch here is that a carrier change SDC is supposed to be performed at the airport only and within 3 hours of the new flight, akin to the UA policies.

3) Am I stuck with having to find the "G" bucket on the UA flights (that'll be likely impossible or will the "H" bucket rule apply)?
If you are moving to UA metal then I believe you fall under their policies once at the airport.

Good luck!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I am holding a confirmed seat on a LAX-IAD flight for Sept. 2 and would like to standby for an earlier flight in order to have more time before our international connection at IAD. I would like to get on UA#950. At the present time, UA doesn't seem to be selling "Y" seats. But they have plenty (10+) Business seats available. Should I expect to be able to standby in this situation?
If Y=0 then you won't be able to SDC. Business class availability means nothing when trying to SDC (unless you are booked/purchased business class). So you need to hope that UA upgrades a bunch of people and releases Y inventory at the same time. Technically you need "H" class to do this but my understanding is that many UA agents will just look at the "Y" bucket and give you a seat if inventory exists.

Greetings All:

1K/CO PE, here flying to Hawaii on Friday, August 2 with the TPAC portion being the non-stop from EWR. Ticket is CO stock (005), ticketed on CO.com, and on CO metal. Fare is "G" bucket (got in on the sale a few months back). Following questions:

Thanks in advance!

Safe Travels
sbm12 covered most of your questions. With regards to #1 CO.com will offer you standby options at check-in that are within 24 hours and that have G class available. CO.com does not currently offer any SDC options to UA flights. Technically you can only switch from CO to UA at the airport up to 3 hours before your scheduled flight.

Just wondering why you would want to SDC from EWR-HNL unless you don't want that long of a non-stop. Trying for an upgrade on the continental US portion? Adding a stop in LAX or SFO practically adds no miles to the flights and last minute upgrades to either of those airports are basically nil.

-RM
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
If Y=0 then you won't be able to SDC. Business class availability means nothing when trying to SDC (unless you are booked/purchased business class). So you need to hope that UA upgrades a bunch of people and releases Y inventory at the same time. Technically you need "H" class to do this but my understanding is that many UA agents will just look at the "Y" bucket and give you a seat if inventory exists.

sbm12 covered most of your questions. With regards to #1 CO.com will offer you standby options at check-in that are within 24 hours and that have G class available. CO.com does not currently offer any SDC options to UA flights. Technically you can only switch from CO to UA at the airport up to 3 hours before your scheduled flight.

Just wondering why you would want to SDC from EWR-HNL unless you don't want that long of a non-stop. Trying for an upgrade on the continental US portion? Adding a stop in LAX or SFO practically adds no miles to the flights and last minute upgrades to either of those airports are basically nil.

-RM
Correct, don't want to spend that day flight in the 764 in coach. Don't have much time in Hawaii, and don't want to spend a day recovering from a coach flight on a CO 764. I would be happy with E+ on UA, and am not starting in EWR but rather in North Carolina. UA will be better in this respect as there is more than just SFO or LAX to head to use as the transit point to HNL.

Be Well!
Old Sep 3, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
I couldn't find the answer to this, but I'm nearly certain it's here somewhere...

What is the deciding factor into which rules are in play. If I'm on a UA ticket flying CO, can I use CO's rules (24 hours with same bucket) or am I restrained to UA's 3 hour policy?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by murphyUA
...What is the deciding factor into which rules are in play. If I'm on a UA ticket flying CO, can I use CO's rules (24 hours with same bucket) or am I restrained to UA's 3 hour policy?
The scheduled flight operator's rules prevail.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:29 pm

If I'm looking to change metal and routing (currently booked on PDX-SFO-PHL, want to leave several hours earlier on PDX-IAH-PHL), my understanding is that I have to do it at the airport -- do I make the request at the check-in desk with UA, which is the ticketing carrier and how I'm currently scheduled to fly? Or does it not matter if I request the change at a RCC/PC?

At SAN, I tried to change from SAN-IAD-PHL (UA) to SAN-EWR-PHL (CO) earlier this week due to the impending storms out east, but the UA check-in folks said I'd have to pay a hefty change fee regardless of status. The agent even said that a GS (which I'm obviously not) would have to pay the same fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.