Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL Canadair CRJ-700 vs CO Embraer RJ-145

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that post-merger the new United would be phasing out the Embraer RJs from the fleet, and the Canadair CRJs would assume those routes instead

Anyone remember this?

Also, for anyone who has flown both, is there a big difference?

My friend flew non-stop San Antonio-LAX on the Canadair CRJ and was upgrade to F - said he had a lot more legroom

So I can see a great benefit there vs the Embraer RJs, which have no F section.

I am wondering how much more comfortable (if at all) the Canadair CRJs are, even if not in F, and is F a big noticable difference?

I travel frequently LAX-JAX, and although I am usually in seat 1A (with legroom but freeze my butt off), its pretty uncomfortable
Old May 5, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
I don't remember hearing anything about phasing out the smaller ERJs, and given that CO has a TON of them, it would be a surprise if they were planning to do so.

The CR2s suck, for lack of a better word. No E+ seating, and the windows are very low. I avoid them whenever possible and would rather fly the ERJs where I at least have the option to not have someone wedged next to me (1-2 seating).

On the other hand, the CR7s with F are a great ride up front, and yes, it's a noticeable difference even when compared to the E+ seats on those birds. If you're flying alone, take the A seats (1A has a lot of legroom).
Old May 5, 2011, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there are exactly 2 rows of F on the CR7s for a total of 6 seats ... on my three flights I had E+ seats assigned and cleared all UGs at the gate

DL has 3 rows for 9 seats on their CR7s, and 4 rows for 12 seats on the CR9s, but no E+

it will be interesting to see how US reconfigures their CR7/CR9 fleet (my guess is 6 and 9 respectively, maybe 6 on both)
Old May 5, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: CO
Flew cr7 first time monday okc-den seat 3b is the best E+ in my opinion...due to the bulkhead not coming all the way across in front of you. F looked ok, but im silver so upgrades are rare.

I would prefer it over erj. May feel different after e+ hits erj.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Well, nice thing about ERJ are the single "A" seats. But for long flights (like 2+ hours), the tiny tube does start to make me feel claustrophobic. Which is when a CR7/9 or E170/190 is really preferred, despite the 2-2 seating in Y.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
I doubt we'll see too much CR7 takeover of RJ-145 routes as there simply aren't nearly enough CR7s to replace the staggering number of flying pencils that XE operates for CO. I even had the pleasure of flying on a UA-branded RJ-145 the other day. Here in AUS, we're starting to see more RJ-145 flying on UA routes due to cross fleeting and other stuff while the livery changes are in process.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
All good points to know. THank you all
Old May 5, 2011, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by caseminole
I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that post-merger the new United would be phasing out the Embraer RJs from the fleet, and the Canadair CRJs would assume those routes instead
Nope. Some ERJ routes are being switched to the larger RJs but they aren't retiring the E45s, just moving them around the system.

Originally Posted by jrl22
it will be interesting to see how US reconfigures their CR7/CR9 fleet (my guess is 6 and 9 respectively, maybe 6 on both)
US is putting 8 in the E75s and 9 in all the other regionals that are being upgraded.

Old May 6, 2011, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I found some of those E145s GRR-ORD used to be mainline & CR7. Now it's 1mainline, a couple CR7s, and the rest E145s. Thank goodness it's a short flight. Rumor has it we'll be getting CR7s again in June. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver, and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I found some of those E145s GRR-ORD used to be mainline & CR7. Now it's 1mainline, a couple CR7s, and the rest E145s. Thank goodness it's a short flight. Rumor has it we'll be getting CR7s again in June. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.
If you can shoot for row 12 on the E145 it will make the trip bearable, best seat if traveling alone is 12A, almost E+ legroom.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
ERJ 145s aren't too awful IMHO. Not as nice as CR7s but not the worst in the world especially if sitting in the Exit Row on the "A Aisle". Now, the CRJ200s are one of the worst birds in all of the legacy fleets. They simply bring the in a most unpleasant way.

Note to the "New United," keep these CRJ200 contraptions to a minimal please. Certainly, a change we can all agree we would like.

Safe Travels
Old May 6, 2011, 8:59 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
The downside of the E145 is the storage space. Overhead bin only on the BC side, and it is smaller (and shaped strange) than the overheads on other UA branded planes. ALso the underseat storage on the A side (due to it being a single seat) is smaller, so overstuffed computer bags often won't fit there, so almost every carryon gets gate checked. This is in addition to the no E+ or F. On the upside, the A seat is nice to have as it is your own castle. Also, on the E145, if near the front, it seems like to long a walk to use the lav.

E+/F/storage space a CR7 wins, seating config, an E145 wins.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Note to the "New United," keep these CRJ200 contraptions to a minimal please. Certainly, a change we can all agree we would like.
^^^^^^^ Yes, I hate those things, and I hate skywest because of them.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Crj7 v e-145

More than 75% of my travel is on either an E-145/x or a CRJ-700. Unless you get 1A or 12A on the E-145, anything longer than an hour is brutal IMO.

Atleast the UAX CRJ-700's have E+, F (UDU's are a slam dunk on most of these routes).
Old May 6, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by sbm12
... US is putting 8 in the E75s and 9 in all the other regionals that are being upgraded.

thx, interesting that US E70/E75/CR7/CR9 fleet will have at least as many F seats as UA 319s ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.