Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New depths of service for UA: ICN-SFO in C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New depths of service for UA: ICN-SFO in C

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I guess I have been lucky. I have flown about 10 international trips in C or F since the beginning of 2010. In my experience, its like United is a different airline in 2010 and 2011 compared to the previous years. I have felt a very strong effort by every one of of the crews to provide good service and friendly service. In the previous 10 years, I have experience good and bad crews, but never the open hostility described by OP.

I have always found the food to be edible. I am a lover of fine food. I don't find UA's food particularly good in either C or F. However I haven't found SQ C food or LH C or F food to be up to standards that I would call "fine." While the food on SQ of LH might be better than UA (mostly, but not always), the difference would not be enough to make me choose one over the other. For me, a decent hard product, friendly FAs who are genuinely trying to make your flight a good experience are what makes my flight good.

If SFO flight crews are the surly ones, I guess that I am lucky to be flying out of the midwest.....perhaps that would be the silver lining of having moved from the bay area to DSM a few years ago
Old May 14, 2011, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
It was odd... especially since the seat was not broken.

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I can confirm that this is a computer generated letter. I got the exact same note, with the exception of the seat problem, in response to my complaint about a recent AMS-IAD flight.
I wonder if any human eyes actually read this note. The note is mechanical to the point that I really just wonder if it wasn't computer generated....

Oh well. I didn't really have high hopes for contacting UA.

Any other suggestions about how to direct this? I'm inclined to just leave the matter here.
Old May 14, 2011, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
Any other suggestions about how to direct this?
My suggestion is to send SMI/J a copy of your letter (and the canned reply) together with your SQ PNR each time you fly SQ, highlighting the amount you just spent on SQ and not UA.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:31 pm

No disrespect, but I think your note is a tad too verbose ... maybe it is just me

Hello,
My name is Embarcadero1 and my Mileage Plus number is 000000000 ...
Old May 15, 2011, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
What's your point?

Originally Posted by malgudi
No disrespect, but I think your note is a tad too verbose ... maybe it is just me
Too verbose for what?

If I were on the receiving end of this kind of letter, I'd want to understand what happened. Getting cash was not my objective.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Gee, and I remember getting attacked for calling UA "not a real airline" and pointing out how my international-based friends and customers wouldn't set foot on a UA flight unless there was a fare fire-sale too good to pass up.

I just don't see any reason to pay for Business and get subjected to this sort of abusive behavior from flight crews. Sure, you can find less-than-stellar service on any/every airline, but some varient of this sort of experience has been the hallmark of UA for far too long.

Last week we were instructed to begin booking clients away from United for all flights (domestic/international) and steer that business to specific other carriers, who are standing ready with extensive and very attractive incentive programs for net fares, cert/mileage-less upgrades and status matches - passing this information to my clients is yielding a huge sigh of relief and we're going to have a very easy time convincing even UA-centric customers to make the switch.

The message about service and product is only delivered with a commensurate drop in $$ - neither Smisek nor his team or the Board give a woop about our service expectations or experience - for them, it's a take it leave it proposition. The organization I'm involved in has decided to leave it, and the resulting 8-figure loss in revenue is going to get noticed....whether anything changes in management's 'tude is yet to be seen.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:28 pm

It will not be any better with any other U.S. legacy carrier. It is unfortunate that the longhaul routes are worked by senior F/As. That's the dilema and there are no ifs and buts about it, although granted there is the occasional, rare exception. Foreign carriers are sometimes better, sometimes not. In any case, for those of us who fly on their own dime and mostly in the back of the plane, realistically there is no option given E+ is an UA exclusive. With W fares reaching unrealistic highs and still not guaranteeing SWU success, that's the way it has to be at least for me and Mrs.EX.
Old May 15, 2011, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It will not be any better with any other U.S. legacy carrier. It is unfortunate that the longhaul routes are worked by senior F/As. That's the dilema and there are no ifs and buts about it, although granted there is the occasional, rare exception. Foreign carriers are sometimes better, sometimes not. In any case, for those of us who fly on their own dime and mostly in the back of the plane, realistically there is no option given E+ is an UA exclusive. With W fares reaching unrealistic highs and still not guaranteeing SWU success, that's the way it has to be at least for me and Mrs.EX.
E+ is not a UA exclusive anymore - DL is offering a E+ product which is superior to UA's (more legroom, more recline and better inflight product offerings...call it PremEconLite).

I've flown over a dozen longhaul trips in CO BF - I've never had a single episode that came even close to the average complaint I've read here. Sure, I had one rather terse no-nonsense FA on a flight to Japan and one FA who sort of ignored my travel companion on a OGG-IAH (back when CO flew this route with BF) a couple of times, but in many hundreds of combined BF/F and Y segments on CO, I've had to write in a grand total of twice to complain about inflight issues, and I've written in more than that to compliment crews.

UA didn't clean up their service mess when they were an independent company - now they're run by a crew bent on one thing - money - and under the impression they are the biggest airline and no one has a realistic alternative - I doubt we'll be seeing anything improve.

DL is really getting their act together - something I thought Anderson would be incapable of - and for us *A folks, there is always the great service and amenities of Air Canada from YYZ or YVR to Europe, Asia or Australia.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:00 pm

Too verbose for a complaint letter (IMO)

Too verbose for what?

If I were on the receiving end of this kind of letter, I'd want to understand what happened. Getting cash was not my objective.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by gengar

BTW, this is also why I get so amused when people complain about not having real "champagne" in F - the fact that the typical bottle of wine in C and even int'l F is something that 1) can be purchased for around $8-12 in your local grocery store and 2) is not even a good $8-12 bottle from that selection, is what should be complained about.
Surely you're full of hyperbole...What UA serves in F (Henriot) is usually $40 a bottle and Pommery or Hedseck in C is $25-30 per bottle...
Old May 16, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
I have an idea: UA does codeshares with Air Canada, could we also do FA shares? My longhaul AC flights have all had great FAs
Old May 16, 2011, 4:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
I have a litmus test for knowing which one I'm going to have the second that I board.

Young international-based crew: good
Young domestic-based crew: good
Old domestic-based crew: bad
I didn't want to be the one to post that first, but yes, that is my experience, too. I've had a few of my best crews ever on UA in recent months, as well as the worst. And they fit the categorizations above to a T.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by usa18dca
Surely you're full of hyperbole...What UA serves in F (Henriot) is usually $40 a bottle and Pommery or Hedseck in C is $25-30 per bottle...
I was referring to the non-sparkling wines. Even Iron Horse (which is what was often whined about by faux-elitists on FT for not being "champagne") goes for $35-40. My point was that instead of complaining about the "champagne" label they should be complaining about the awful quality of non-sparkling wines. The non-sparkling offerings on my int'l F and C flights are certainly in the range I mentioned, with maybe one getting around $15ish tops. I've also often found that the listed wines on the menu are not available even on int'l F flights. And again, my real problem is that these aren't even good $8 or $12 or $15 bottles. In any case, sorry for any lack of clarity.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by gengar
I was referring to the non-sparkling wines. Even Iron Horse (which is what was often whined about by faux-elitists on FT for not being "champagne") goes for $35-40. My point was that instead of complaining about the "champagne" label they should be complaining about the awful quality of non-sparkling wines. The non-sparkling offerings on my int'l F and C flights are certainly in the range I mentioned, with maybe one getting around $15ish tops. I've also often found that the listed wines on the menu are not available even on int'l F flights. And again, my real problem is that these aren't even good $8 or $12 or $15 bottles. In any case, sorry for any lack of clarity.
Yup. I only drink the sparklers. They go with everything.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by bocastephen
...DL is really getting their act together - something I thought Anderson would be incapable of ...
With the minor exceptions of their Worst In Class SkyPesos FFP and an IT department that apparently has been outsourced to Nigeria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.