Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New depths of service for UA: ICN-SFO in C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New depths of service for UA: ICN-SFO in C

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by BearX220
I think that's a great idea. Not only is the SFO base notorious, I believe there are specific employees who've been discussed on FT that, by alienating customers, have cost UA many times their annual compensation in lost business.

I am sure UA management is aware but as I said it's all still seen as easier to tolerate than confront.
I've stopped flying UA longhaul for these reasons, just came back from Asia in AC C. Courteous and friendly staff who had no problem delaying my meal by 5hrs so I could sleep. The hard product is better than UA, and transit via YYZ is not worse than via ORD or IAD. If they were more frank they would advertise their product in the US as the anti-United:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...RDS=air+canada
Old May 6, 2011, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mh3265a
BLUF - If you don't like flying an airline then why credit to them? He should pick an airline he likes more...
From bonus and credit card opportunities to partner opportunities to award calendar usability, there are tons of reasons why you'd make use of the FF program of an airline you don't fly very much.

For example, the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan gives you a way to accrue miles on SkyTeam (DL, KE) and redeem them on OneWorld (CX, QF). Lots of people use it as a conversion engine without flying AS much.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mh3265a
BLUF - If you don't like flying an airline then why credit to them? He should pick an airline he likes more...
Maybe because you value some of the features of the plan, one-way Star awards? free changes for top elites? An occasional domestic upgrade?

I was BD Gold for a couple years without ever setting a foot on an BMI plane, and many here collect BD miles, because of the value they have, flexibility in redemptions, and of course up to 625% mileage earning on premium fares.

Tons of people use AC to credit, because it only requires 35K for Gold, so much so, that AC introduced a rule that 5 segments/10000 miles must be flown on AC metal.

People even credit to Aegean because its only 20k? to Star Gold!
Old May 7, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, IC Spire Amb, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Honstly, the average or great crews way outnumber the bad ones....the bad ones just stick out sooo much more.
This hits the nail on the head.

We've flown SFO-ICN-SFO in C a couple of times in the last few months. We turned with the crew both times -- the first group was outstanding, and they were even more incredible on the return once they recognized us.

The second trip, I'm certain we had the same crew as the OP. We've had our share of less-than-stellar FAs before, but this one took the cake. It just became downright comical, even once she recognized us and we got the third degree for why we were in Korea for such a short time.

Knowing we'd get the same group on the return, though, we were prepared -- or tried to be. More annoying was the gate police carry-on checkers who wouldn't allow us to bring bottles of water picked up in the lounge (I realize, of course, this is not something UA controls). Even the purser had never heard of that one before.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Honestly, the average or great crews way outnumber the bad ones....the bad ones just stick out sooo much more.
Only a small percentage of Ford Pintos exploded and burned their owners to death, but that was enough to kill the Pinto brand.

It doesn't matter how many my-flight-was-great stories get filed here. I think UA TPAC, I think: appalling inflight service from horrible people. Just like I think Pinto, I think fireball.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
It doesn't matter how many my-flight-was-great stories get filed here. I think UA TPAC, I think: appalling inflight service from horrible people.
Sad but true. Sorry, but as long as CX, SQ and NH fly to/from SFO/LAX, I have no sympathy for anyone that actually pays real money to buy a UA First Class TPAC ticket, and then complains about the service.
Old May 8, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sad but true. Sorry, but as long as CX, SQ and NH fly to/from SFO/LAX, I have no sympathy for anyone that actually pays real money to buy a UA First Class TPAC ticket, and then complains about the service.
Not do I ... but UA C can be good value, especially as with UA you can at least exactly plan what kind of hardware you will get. And the new C seats are good Z-fare material. I like the food and don't care about service .. and I get the MP benefits, so why not?

On SQ you never know if you actually get the best C seat in the sky or some antique commuter they dug out somewhere (this happened to me twice). And the fake smiles of the Singa crews don't help me to overcome that.
Old May 8, 2011, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD
:-P What's your point here? - the choice of screw tops isn't really a cost thing unless you're comparing against very high-quality cork which is in short supply. For maintaining the quality of a young wine, which isn't going to be aged, screw cap is probably the best option. .
After a recent trip to Australia where even the high end wines are now going screw top I must admit my wine snobbery about cork is a bit less.

Regarding the thread, as somebody living and working abroad with folks who are impovershed and seem pretty happy even with green fish, my thoughts go to the words of a famous philospher who once said, 'it's a hard knock life'.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Eh, if you think AA is any better, think again. JFK-BUD last month in 2-class 763 in C, JFK-based FAs were about as reclusive and not-hostile-but-not-friendly as any I've encountered in UA F/C.

Nice seat, though, decent food and wine, but not a compelling experience.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Eh, if you think AA is any better, think again.
Not really a ringing defense of UA. (There was a thread in the AA forum challenging people to think of an international F product AA's is better than. It was hard.) The point is, why is such awful service tolerated? By management or passengers?
Old May 8, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really a ringing defense of UA. (There was a thread in the AA forum challenging people to think of an international F product AA's is better than. It was hard.) The point is, why is such awful service tolerated? By management or passengers?
It is tolerated by passengers because they are addicted to miles.

It is tolerated by management because it is tolerated by passengers.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:26 pm

An FA once told me for intl the FRA and LHR based crews generally get significantly higher pax survey ratings than SFO -- on the order of 2x.

So there is apparently a documented disparity.
Old May 9, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Honstly, the average or great crews way outnumber the bad ones....the bad ones just stick out sooo much more.
Originally Posted by dccvii
This hits the nail on the head.
+1. Though I do think the percentage of lousy and average crews on USA carriers is higher than on the better foreign airlines (where the curve trends more toward excellent), most crews I've flown with on UA and AA have been fine.

I'm under the vague impression that CO has paid more attention to FA quality than UA has in the past. So perhaps the new management will accordingly seek to improve this across the combined airline.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:54 pm
5R2

Programs: LH SEN
Although I have unfortunately had several experiences with UA similar to the OP, I do have a few flights that really stick out in my mind as excellent. In particular, a FRA-IAD flight in 2007 with a Paris based crew (Is the Paris crew base still open?). Between a cabin full of businessmen and a surprisingly all male crew, my wife was the only woman in the J cabin. The crew paid her ridiculous amounts of attention (which she loved), and then thanked me regularly for letting them do so. Overall, really excellent, professional crew. I wish they were all as motivated and service-oriented.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:55 pm

Huh? Why should the FAs thank you? Is this similar to when the check is often presented to the guy (when there's a couple at the table)???

Originally Posted by 5R2
The crew paid her ridiculous amounts of attention (which she loved), and then thanked me regularly for letting them do so. Overall, really excellent, professional crew. I wish they were all as motivated and service-oriented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.