Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DirectTV and internet access will be available on current CO planes only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 8:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)

Today was my first flight this month on United-Continental holdings, as the CO FA's repeatedly referred to their airline (OK, it's only May the second). Reading SMI/J's welcome and the corresponding editorial, I noticed that he is somewhat excited about the new internet service they are expecting to introduce on 200 odd domestic 737's and 757's. Perhaps I misread, but it appears that there is no plan yet to roll out Direct TV to the rest of the mainline fleet - 319's, 320's, etc.

I wonder why?
Old May 2, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm sure you have an idea why. Cause nobody's willing to pay for it, whereas the attraction of Internet (even paid) is much greater.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Great theory, UA-NYC, except that the internet service is also only being installed on the LiveTV planes.

More likely is that they have not yet reached an agreement with LiveTV on getting the other couple hundred aircraft outfitted and who will bear that cost. Once they figure it out - and I believe that eventually it will be the LiveTV product and its corresponding internet across the domestic fleet - they'll make the announcement. Until that contract or at least a MOU is in place there is nothing confirmed that they can announce regarding the PMUA domestic fleet.
Old May 2, 2011, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Great theory, UA-NYC, except that the internet service is also only being installed on the LiveTV planes.

More likely is that they have not yet reached an agreement with LiveTV on getting the other couple hundred aircraft outfitted and who will bear that cost. Once they figure it out - and I believe that eventually it will be the LiveTV product and its corresponding internet across the domestic fleet - they'll make the announcement. Until that contract or at least a MOU is in place there is nothing confirmed that they can announce regarding the PMUA domestic fleet.

Depends...now that they have good data on a paid LiveTV product on a network carrier, it may or may not be worthwhile doing the TV portion of the product unless the carrier wants to pay for it.
Old May 2, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by channa
Depends...now that they have good data on a paid LiveTV product on a network carrier, it may or may not be worthwhile doing the TV portion of the product unless the carrier wants to pay for it.
I agree with this sentiment, but you still need some sort of IFE as new aircraft that were scheduled for DTV aren't being delivered with IFE factory installed.

What UACO needs to do is drop the price of DTV not increase it.

I would also like to add that Wifi has not been the moneymaker folks thought it would be. WN offers it for $5 and free to AL+ members. Now only if UACO could do something like that?
Old May 2, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I think it is more than sensible to install LiveTV on ps 757s, if not the rest of the UA fleet. I really liked it on the several occasions that I was lucky enough to be on the 738s that had it. Even on a relatively short IAH-LAX flight, I once paid for it when I sat in Y so that I could watch a baseball game. And on a transcon flight, I think it's worth the slightly higher price.
Old May 3, 2011, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12

You missed my point - it seems like it would be an easy fix to add internet to existing DTV planes. It's more troublesome trying to justify DTV for planes that don't have it - trying to make the case for adding a paid product few want (DTV) in order to get something highly desired (internet).

You read the quotes from $misek saying they want to please their really favorite customers (e.g., business travelers), right? They aren't watching TV on flights...
Old May 3, 2011, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You missed my point - it seems like it would be an easy fix to add internet to existing DTV planes. It's more troublesome trying to justify DTV for planes that don't have it - trying to make the case for adding a paid product few want (DTV) in order to get something highly desired (internet).
Perhaps, but that "highly desired" metric has yet to be borne out by any statistical study thus far. Maybe it is the cost or maybe it is just that people don't really want to be connected, but the previous studies of gogo uptake show very limited numbers unless it is free.
Old May 3, 2011, 7:05 am

Isn't wifi suppose to be like the speed of 3G internet? If so, I don't think people will pay for slow internet. At least I wouldn't....
Old May 3, 2011, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by corytx8
Isn't wifi suppose to be like the speed of 3G internet? If so, I don't think people will pay for slow internet. At least I wouldn't....
The current gogo implementation is EvDO Rev.A, I believe. Basically a slightly higher powered version of a MiFi hotspot on the VZW network. The LiveTV version is going to be satellite-based and supposedly much faster, though there may be latency issues that come with that.
Old May 3, 2011, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Halo117
I agree with this sentiment, but you still need some sort of IFE as new aircraft that were scheduled for DTV aren't being delivered with IFE factory installed.

IFE isn't mandatory. UA was the only legacy carrier that had IFE and audio in all planes.

US runs their entire domestic fleet with no IFE; DL has the legacy NWA fleet with no IFE (A319/320, some 757s) as well as some of their MDs, AA has some no IFE birds; CO has had their older 737s with no IFE since they came into their fleet some 20-ish years ago.
Old May 3, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC

You read the quotes from $misek saying they want to please their really favorite customers (e.g., business travelers), right? They aren't watching TV on flights...
It's actually not a simple add on to existing DTV planes. Based off a memo at B6, it was actually part of a larger negotiation with LiveTV and UA/CO Holdings. If not mistaken, I think LiveTV is footing most of the bill to install internet on the CO planes, as they continue to work out a pricing model.
Old May 3, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The business travelers I've seen on CO flights watch TV..
Old May 3, 2011, 12:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Here's the actual statement in the May 2011 Hemispheres that was the basis of the initial post.

In SMI/J's welcome page, he states ......"intention to partner with inflight entertainment provider Live-TV to offer inflight Wi-Fi via the more robust Ka-band beginning next year".

He goes on to say "We plan to offer the service on more than 200 domestic Boeing 737 and 757 aircraft equipped with DIRECTV."

So no announced plans re/ expanding the DIRECTV or Live-TV service to other aircraft.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CO Silver
I love the DTV on flights; I always get the satellite equipped planes on my Thursday flight home (ORD-IAH) and I have yet to miss a playoff basketball game because of travel! And I am a business traveler...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.