Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Receives FAA Single Operating Certificate on 30 November 2011 [Updated Title]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO/UA Receives FAA Single Operating Certificate on 30 November 2011 [Updated Title]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Originally Posted by 21A
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.650 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I did have an FA tell me today that there is supposed to be a consolidated operating manual by the end of the month, for whatever that's worth (perhaps not much).
Turns out that was good intel:

United began the distribution process of the new FAOM yesterday, Monday, November 21, 2011. The new manual is scheduled to become effective on November 30, 2011. The effective date is tied the date United expects to receive their Single Operating Certificate (SOC).

The new FAOM are available at your local Domicile from now thru December 15, 2011. The FAOM packet includes: the new required FAOM binder, the FAOM contents and tabs, the announcement book and the FAIM supplement. Also with the new FAOM, you will receive Bulletin #1 that has the effective date of November 30, 2011 this includes some last minute policy and procedure changes.
Originally Posted by goalie
I'm hearing rumblings that it is delayed to now departing on 11/30/11
Maybe the rumblings i heard on 10/26 were right
Old Nov 25, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
From the Chicago Tribune:

United Continental expecting to receive FAA single operating certificate next week

Move would allow company to finally operate as a single airline more than a year after merger was approved
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by demkr
Move would allow company to finally operate as a single airline more than a year after merger was approved
So they will have the SOC. When will all flights be "operated by" United Airlines?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
So they will have the SOC. When will all flights be "operated by" United Airlines?
I sure hope they don't remove that designation until E+ is fleet-wide.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
I sure hope they don't remove that designation until E+ is fleet-wide.
I have an easy fix for that problem. Avoid 738/9, 764, and 757 going overseas until it is announced that all have been converted.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Originally Posted by demkr

Not exactly. This will happen only after they workforce integration starts.
I hope none of the employee groups decides to follow the footsteps of the US East pilots.

DLP
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
The United pilots union has been complaining that pilots are not receiving adequate training to use merged cockpit procedures, a necessary checklist item enroute to the FAA certificate. It has largely involved retraining United pilots to use Continental procedures. And some pilots have claimed they feel uncomfortable with the new procedures, having only about an hour's worth of computer-based training.
(Above emphasis mine)

Every day the fact that this 'merger' is a complete takeover of UA by CO becomes more clear.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by smashr
(Above emphasis mine)
Indeed. The changes are so complicated that pilots are complaining to Congress that they're forgetting to put down the landing gear. The whole thing is a crock.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:30 am

We're a very very long way from becoming a single airline. CAL flight crews will continue to operate CAL aircraft for quite some time. SOC will not change this. United crews will operate United aircraft. There will be no movement there until the JCBA and SLI process are completed. I don't personally see any of that being completed inside of 18-24 months.

Regarding the procedural changes. I've never seen anything like this in my career. Wholesale changes made to how the aircraft are operated and the only training being provided has been limited to bulletins and computer training modules. There's significant confusion and the volume of change has been at times overwhelming. If your crews are complaining, it's justified. All of this has been completed by the cheapest means possible.

The UAL crews are experience more change as the CAL operating certificate was retained. There have however been some very critical changes to procedures on both sides and the way we've been notified of these changes is nothing shy of reprehensible.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
Indeed. The changes are so complicated that pilots are complaining to Congress that they're forgetting to put down the landing gear. The whole thing is a crock.
The training the pilots are receiving is downright careless IMO. Changing policies is one thing, but changing emergency and windshear recovery procedures without practice in the simulators is a dangerous proposition. What the pilots view as a huge red flag, management is spinning as "union posturing."

Safety vs $$$....this is what it boils down to unfortunately.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by clubord
The training the pilots are receiving is downright careless IMO. Changing policies is one thing, but changing emergency and windshear recovery procedures without practice in the simulators is a dangerous proposition. What the pilots view as a huge red flag, management is spinning as "union posturing."

The entire emergency checklist (we call it a QRH) has been changed. The changes and format are significant. One day those checklist simply showed up in the aircraft and were immediately effective. Call-outs were changed, low visibility approach procedures were changed....all of which was done by bulletin or 10 minute CBT module. Zero training took place.

Notification of a change is not training. The New United doesn't see it that way.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by EWR756
The entire emergency checklist (we call it a QRH) has been changed. The changes and format are significant. One day those checklist simply showed up in the aircraft and were immediately effective. Call-outs were changed, low visibility approach procedures were changed....all of which was done by bulletin or 10 minute CBT module. Zero training took place.

Notification of a change is not training. The New United doesn't see it that way.
Downright careless. Not fair to employees or customers.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:15 pm

This makes the whole who is taking over who debate pale in comparison to what has to be a significant safety matter. ... is management smoking? Changing an emergency procedure with no training????

We're a very very long way from becoming a single airline. CAL flight crews will continue to operate CAL aircraft for quite some time. SOC will not change this. United crews will operate United aircraft. There will be no movement there until the JCBA and SLI process are completed. I don't personally see any of that being completed inside of 18-24 months.
I figured this was the case. What, then, does the SOC give the airline?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by clubord

CO doesn't use simulators in a lot of their training. Its another safety aspect the UA pilots are concerned about and fighting. COs philosophy is $$$ not safety, i hope not to see or experience any negative results from this shift, and that no one else experiences one either.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
CO doesn't use simulators in a lot of their training. Its another safety aspect the UA pilots are concerned about and fighting. COs philosophy is $$$ not safety, i hope not to see or experience any negative results from this shift, and that no one else experiences one either.
Continental has an excellent safety record. Certainly on par with the safest US airlines. I've never taken a great deal of issue with the training I've received at CAL. It's quite good. UAL does some things differently of course. Your reference to simulators is misleading and I suspect you're not entirely familiar with the point you're attempting to make.

Continental does not use a full flight simulator for all training periods. During the early training phases when procedural flows are being learned, an FTD or Flight Training Device is used. It's not a full motion simulator however it is a full flight deck and emulates the operations on the flight deck every bit as well as the sim. It is of course a less expensive option however I don't consider it to be an inferior training device when used during the earliest training modules. There are far more serious issues facing the operational merger than an argument about FTD's vs FFS (Full flight sim). My post above is the most pressing in my view.

BTW, the company has decided to use the UAL model for annual recurrent pilot training. Instead of a two day event currently being used at CAL, the UAL three day event is being added. That is a change in the right direction however I believe that the UAL pilot CBA requires this so I'm not so sure credit should be given to anyone in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.