Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change and Loss of Elite Status Results in Poor Outcome - Am I Hosed?

Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Back in Jan I booked two reward tickets. IAH-LIH At the time I was plat. I booked 6:30-7:53AM IAH-LAX and 9:20 LAX-LIH. The return is not relevant.

The 9:20 LAX-LIH is a United flight. I was booked in E+ due to status at the time. I am currently pond scum status as last year was a zero flying year for me due to business going belly up. Now. United has changed the flight time of LAX-LIH to 8:20 leaving my 27 minutes to connect off a continental flight to a UA flight. I am told this won't happen.

So I call "we don't give a cr@p" line and told my options are limited.

A. I have to change flights and get bad seats.
B. I have to layover in HNL for 6 hours.

I didn't ask this question, but my outgoing leg was 20,000 miles. Right now the IAH-HNL-LIH leg is 25,000 miles. Am I also going to get the honor of forking over another 5,000 miles due to THEIR schedule change?

The whole thing is pretty irritating.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 14, 2011 at 11:05 am Reason: retitled thread http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q63
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mkahanek
Back in Jan I booked two reward tickets. IAH-LIH At the time I was plat. I booked 6:30-7:53AM IAH-LAX and 9:20 LAX-LIH. The return is not relevant.

The 9:20 LAX-LIH is a United flight. I was booked in E+ due to status at the time. I am currently pond scum status as last year was a zero flying year for me due to business going belly up. Now. United has changed the flight time of LAX-LIH to 8:20 leaving me 27 minutes to connect off a continental flight to a UA flight. I am told this won't happen.

So I call "we don't give a cr@p" line and told my options are limited.

A. I have to change flights and get bad seats.
B. I have to layover in HNL for 6 hours.

I didn't ask this question, but my outgoing leg was 20,000 miles. Right now the IAH-HNL-LIH leg is 25,000 miles. Am I also going to get the honor of forking over another 5,000 miles due to THEIR schedule change?

The whole thing is pretty irritating.
You won't have to pay for the miles difference.

Not sure what you expect them to do....
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Since it is not a true rebooking situation you should not have to "pay" the extra 5,000 miles.

I would change to whatever flights are most convienient to make sure I got to my destination. Unfortunately your lack of status means no E+. You could always purchase the E+ annual option. I don't know if you will get an E+ buy up at check in.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You definitely won't have to pay the extra miles but you'll have to pay for E+ if you want to keep it. It's not that expensive..like $59 LAX-LIH or something like that. A 27 minute connection isn't "legal" (30 minutes is the minimum at LAX I believe) but it's definitely possible to make it at LAX if your inbound flight is on time or early. You don't have to reclear security. I'd be especially concerned if you're checking luggage though. If you're a gambling man..keep what you've got and roll the dice.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JeffS
Since it is not a true rebooking situation you should not have to "pay" the extra 5,000 miles.

I would change to whatever flights are most convienient to make sure I got to my destination. Unfortunately your lack of status means no E+. You could always purchase the E+ annual option. I don't know if you will get an E+ buy up at check in.
I don't want E+. The offered flights is CO1. All I want is row 11-15 AB. But looks like they won't give it to me.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mkahanek
I don't want E+. The offered flights is CO1. All I want is row 11-15 AB. But looks like they won't give it to me.
You will get them at OLCI, when all seats (Except ELR/exit rows) are open to all PAX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.