Wiki Posts
Search

Award Fee Changes - Eff. Jun. 15, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

UA's award fees were a big fat middle finger to < 1Ks. "Oh, you see a better set of flights for your existing award? That'll be $150, please. Thanks for flying 99,999 miles with us last year, Mr. 1P."

The only thing left is to align the "simple changes" policies with CO and I am fine. I would rather pay $25 for a close-in award than $150 to change an award. Yeah, in an ideal world, no close-in fee at all. If we could get that removed I'd be happy. But $150 for changes as a 1P? Really? That's what you had before on UA before this set of changes. Pretty lame if you ask me.
This 1P 100% agrees.
I would gladly pay $25 for a close-in award in exchange to freely tinker my awards to suit me when better flights open up or I need to change plans.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The new plan does not eliminate close in booking but there is these HUGE $25 fee (for an 1P)

My guess is the vast majority of award travellers book in advance to get availability and coordinate other plans -- hotels, ... (and now cancel / change are much cheaper than paid tickets for elites). While your travel patterns may be last minute, the penalty is probably less than you parking fees.
Percentage-wise, $25 is infinitely more than $0. Even at 1 cent a mile, that's a 20% increase in the cost of a 25k domestic award. Not cool.

Like I said, no longer the "program that wants me to use my miles."
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
Seems like the only people who lose big here are CO Golds like me - my redeposit fee just went up from 25 to 100 and that is a big deal. Pretty crappy if you ask me.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[indent][list=1][*]Close in Booking Fee: This fee will apply to awards redeemed less than 21 days before departure. They’ll be $75 per person for general members, $50 for Premier and Silver members, $25 for Premier Executive and Gold members, and will continue to be waived for 1K, Global Services, Platinum and Presidential Platinum members.
Worth noting: For OnePass members, there’s no change. For Mileage Plus members, this is the re-introduction of the close-in booking fee, but with Elite-based discounts.

Scott O'Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines

I believe that the New COmpany increases the standard award requirement
and re-introduce the 21 days close-in fee is trying to:

1. Reduce the saver award seats to CO's level.
2. Block most seats until within 21 days.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
The dreaded close-in fee is back. With any ticketing done electronically - it's greed plain and simple.

So as I read it - if I am traveling SFO-ORD-JFK and switch to SFO-DEN-JFK - I am hit with a change fee? If that's the case - ridiculous.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca
Percentage-wise, $25 is infinitely more than $0. Even at 1 cent a mile, that's a 20% increase in the cost of a 25k domestic award. Not cool. ...
math check
$25 / (25,000*0.01) ==> 0.1

... Like I said, no longer the "program that wants me to use my miles."
like all things YMMV
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Exactly. This will make me more likely to use/accumulate UA miles in 2011. I don't have to worry about "Oh, You want to change from your current UA flight to one that has better timing? $150, please."

One $150 flight change fee I avoid as a 1P pays for 6 close-in award fees I would pay as a 1P. According to the simple math that makes me gullible, this counts as a win for me. Your mileage may vary, because maybe you like close-in awards and never change a booking.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
This 1P 100% agrees.
I would gladly pay $25 for a close-in award in exchange to freely tinker my awards to suit me when better flights open up or I need to change plans.
=======================
Originally Posted by CApreppie
..So as I read it - if I am traveling SFO-ORD-JFK and switch to SFO-DEN-JFK - I am hit with a change fee? If that's the case - ridiculous.
this is true today for UA, no change
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
it's greed plain and simple.
Oh no! A publicly traded company trying to make money! What is this world coming to?

if I am traveling SFO-ORD-JFK and switch to SFO-DEN-JFK - I am hit with a change fee?
You always have been (at least with Mileage Plus).
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
math check
$25 / (25,000*0.01) ==> 0.1
Oy, I need to call it a day. Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Oh well, it was nice while it lasted (no close-in fee).

However, my existing idea to move MR points to CO,
and thus UA, is suddenly dubious.

Will have to go re-study the "better" options for MR points, I think.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Wow, this blows. So much for being the "program that wants you to use your miles."

+1 for "the program that gives the middle finger to < 1Ks."

^
When I was a 1P I would have killed for these rules.

$25 last minute booking fee spend <<<<<<< Value of award tinkering

Generally (as I think many 1K FT'ers do), I book an award way out that is less than ideal and then massage it until I get an award to my liking. For 1Ps, this was pretty much cost prohibitive (until now). If I really needed a last minute award, $25 is pretty much nothing. I think I would have paid that 2-3 times in the last 5 years I was a 1P.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:23 pm

closing date fee?
i do not like this merging at all
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Oh well, it was nice while it lasted (no close-in fee).

However, my existing idea to move MR points to CO,
and thus UA, is suddenly dubious.

Will have to go re-study the "better" options for MR points, I think.
^+1
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Oh no! A publicly traded company trying to make money! What is this world coming to?
There is a difference between trying to make money and alienating your customers by reintroducing a fee that you competitor does not have.

I'll write to UA to express my displeasure and remind them of DL policy on this matter, I hope others will do the same. Perhaps they will come to senses. UA needs to fill remaining empty seats on short notice and decrease outstanding mileage more than I need those awards for a spontaneous trip i can easily live without. That last minute booking can easily go to some other airline.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by buaya00
Its free for 1Ks/Plats prior to June 15 and free for 1Ks/Plats from June 15th...period
I have a award trip for 4 in August. While I can cancel this up to June 15th for free, if I do so after June 15th I will pay $600 to cancel. Certainly I could cancel prior to June 15th and rebook after said date to keep the ability to cancel for free as a 1K, assuming NY space is greater than 4. I don't understand this at all...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I have a award trip for 4 in August. While I can cancel this up to June 15th for free, if I do so after June 15th I will pay $600 to cancel. Certainly I could cancel prior to June 15th and rebook after said date to keep the ability to cancel for free as a 1K, assuming NY space is greater than 4. I don't understand this at all...
Seriously, 2 people have told you there are no changes to 1Ks, jeez stop worrying about it. You won't pay anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.