Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hi I'm Jeff Smisek your going to like the changes....NOT!!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat

Dear Jeff,

These changes you tell us good paying customers we are going to like is total balderdash.

1. No more meals in coach
2. When I fly United I am not allowed in the Red Carpet Club but I am allows in Continental's Presidents Club. What gives here???? The lady was rude about it too when I told her just the other night I was allowed in.
3. Even though I am Platinum Elite and a million miler I am not allow to board thru United's Red Carpet. So much for your integration plan
I have a feeling that you will reconfigure all of Continental’s Planes with less First Class seats and try and push this Economy Plus seating. When that happens you will lose me and many others as frequent flyers. I fly Continental and have so for 11 years because of the Service. Now you are lowering them and just becoming another lousy airline. I hate United and American. And was pleased with the service I got on Continental. United could learn a lot from Continental but alas Continental will become an extension of United and you are the reason for this after all are you not the President? The one who will have the distinction of running Continental into the ground.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
The merger isn't going to be painless, trust me (and all of us on the Delta Forum).

And if I may quote you:

When that happens you will lose me and many others as frequent flyers.
Just a question...where you going to go? You obviously have serious issues with AA and UA.

If it seriously stresses you out that much, hang out with another airline for a year or so and then go back to CO/UA once its completed and integrated.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Apr 14, 2011 at 12:24 am
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

My Issue with Jeff

My issue is when a person of authority stand up with a smirk on their face and tells me that I will like these changes and not a single one is making the airline better but rather the opposite. My point...meals were not taken away until after the merger was announced. That was one of several things Larry Kellner said made them different from other A/Ls. Like I said just watch when they reconfigure First Class to make room for economy plus. All those business upgrade will stop. A major attraction to Fly C/A over U/A
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I think it is premature at this stage to judge the new United. Loyal passengers on each side are adjusting the services and loyal benefits from the opposite side. I do feel some changes will be better in the long run but there will be short term pains.

Last edited by seanthepilot; Apr 14, 2011 at 12:25 am
Old Apr 13, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Its all about perception. What you may think (and I am fairly certain by the tone) is the end of the world, another sees as an opportunity.

They aren't going to do any right no matter what consessions or amends the combined carrier offers in some eyes, so they just chalk it up and move on.

Upgrades crack me up because if you really want the seat, buy it. Oh, and yes, sometimes it is cheaper or just about the same price of a coach ticket sometimes.

And if its really that "end all be all" bad for you, move on. Nothing talks to a company quite like your wallet.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
PWHITSON - Welcome to Flyertalk! ^
Please stick around; there is so much to learn around here!

Originally Posted by PWHITSON
Dear Jeff,

These changes you tell us good paying customers we are going to like is total balderdash.

1. No more meals in coach
2. When I fly United I am not allowed in the Red Carpet Club but I am allows in Continental's Presidents Club. What gives here???? The lady was rude about it too when I told her just the other night I was allowed in.
3. Even though I am Platinum Elite and a million miler I am not allow to board thru United's Red Carpet. So much for your integration plan
I have a feeling that you will reconfigure all of Continental’s Planes with less First Class seats and try and push this Economy Plus seating. When that happens you will lose me and many others as frequent flyers. I fly Continental and have so for 11 years because of the Service. Now you are lowering them and just becoming another lousy airline. I hate United and American. And was pleased with the service I got on Continental. United could learn a lot from Continental but alas Continental will become an extension of United and you are the reason for this after all are you not the President? The one who will have the distinction of running Continental into the ground.
PWHITSON - Welcome to Flyertalk! ^
Please stick around; there is so much to learn around here!

Change is hard but CO frequent flyers will gain more from this merger than they loose.

Option 1: Run away.

Option 2: Understand what you are gaining:

Assuming you fly 100,000 miles/year, you gain:
- 6 system wide ugprades/year, valid international - they are worth at least $300 each - so 6 are worth $1800+ (use one SWU instead of using 30,000 miles + up to $450 copay to upgrade)
- 4 north america advance comfirmable upgrades/year - valid on all fares - they are worth at least $100 each - so 4 are worth $400+ (they can replace using 15,000 to upgrade)
- More legroom on every flight you are stuck in economy - there aren't enough exit rows with more room on CO for very many elites - $425 value
- More than twice as many flights you can choose from on your airline, complete with the ability to upgrade
- More things UA is better than CO at (taking care of elite flyers during irregular operations, for example) that we don't know if the new carrier will keep yet...to be seen.

1. No more meals in coach.
Now, after fully understanding the value of what you are gaining, compare that with the value of the poor quality food you used to get on domestic flights for free. How much will it cost you to buy yourself better food than you used to get on every single flight? $ compared to $$$$ of value you are gaining.

What were you attempting to use to gain access to the United Club?
The rules for entry are published and there are many ways you are eligible; did you meet one of the published criteria or not?
For example, if you a Continental Presidents Club member and present your card, you would be allowed in any United Club.
If you are a Contiental Platinum and are departing on an international flight, you would be allowed in any United Club.
If you are Continental Platinum (not a CO/UA/AC/US club member, not a star gold with a non-US program, not an international business/first class passenger, not flying paid premium cabin on a PS flight, not in possession of a Red Carpet Club day pass) and your travel domestic only, you were NOT entitled to lounge access.
Why did you think you were entitled to lounge access?
3. Even though I am Platinum Elite and a million miler I am not allow to board thru United's Red Carpet.
If you fly 100,000 miles/year, you can match your status right now to 1K (see the stickies at the top of the Continental Airlines forum). Then enter your new UA 1K number when you fly United and you will have access to red carpet boarding.

I do not like everything about this merger but not every change is bad. Especially for any CO Plat who flies over 100,000 miles/year, life is getting better!

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Apr 14, 2011 at 9:39 am
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:25 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan, UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles
Nice trip report! haha, I also wonder if the OP is jumping the gun a bit by taking the bad side of the changes and calling the entire merger bad...as mentioned previously, it's not going to be painless. We all win some and lose some.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... 2. When I fly United I am not allowed in the Red Carpet Club but I am allows in Continental's Presidents Club. What gives here???? The lady was rude about it too when I told her just the other night I was allowed in. ...
do not understand this -- entrance rules into the two lounge systems are identical. Either the circumstances were different (such as one was international and the other was domestic) or the lounge agent was wrong.

.... 3. Even though I am Platinum Elite and a million miler I am not allow to board thru United's Red Carpet. ....
if you are 100K Plat then once you status match, you will have access
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tus-tools.html
There are a number of operational issues still different between the two systems -- but with the status match all flyers are treated equal on each airline

....I have a feeling that you will reconfigure all of Continental’s Planes with less First Class seats and try and push this Economy Plus seating. When that happens you will lose me and many others as frequent flyers. ...
FTIW, when UA added E+, it lead to the lost of economy seats

....I fly Continental and have so for 11 years because of the Service. Now you are lowering them and just becoming another lousy airline. I hate United and American. And was pleased with the service I got on Continental. United could learn a lot from Continental but alas Continental will become an extension of United and you are the reason for this after all are you not the President? The one who will have the distinction of running Continental into the ground.
It is interest how CO flyers feel UA is killing CO and how UA flyers feel CO is killing UA.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
alas Continental will become an extension of United
Well no. Quite the opposite.

Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
do not understand this -- entrance rules into the two lounge systems are identical. Either the circumstances were different (such as one was international and the other was domestic) or the lounge agent was wrong.
I'm having a tough time imagining any differences in entrance criteria for a UA RCC vs. a PC. Maybe:

* Amex Platinum Card get into PCs until 9/30/2011 via the winding-down "Platinum Airport Club Access Program", which UA does not participate in
* Individual lounges may or may not be Priority Pass lounges
* Does CO have any special rules for PC access for premium cabin travelers on partner carriers who are not *A members (Copa? Virgin Atlantic??)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Jumping the Gun????

Originally Posted by wbasc
Nice trip report! haha, I also wonder if the OP is jumping the gun a bit by taking the bad side of the changes and calling the entire merger bad...as mentioned previously, it's not going to be painless. We all win some and lose some.
Well the OP has been monitoring this since Oct. I have talked to CO employees none of which has said anything positive about this merger. I also have talked to many CO Flyers and NO ONE has said anything positive about it as well so it is not just myself with this opinion. Case in point. I just completed a flight Tuesday night from Denver to Philly. I made a comment during the prefight video where Jeff made his comment "you are going to like the changes" of which I made a comment that several overheard. Once I got off the plane I was stopped by a passenger on that same flight who was with a companion and they both agreed that the merger has affected service. They too were Platinum Elite. Merger will simply mean less competition which will lead to higher ticket prices and lower quality of service. But do not take my word for it just sit back and watch what happens. I have already seen and heard the results.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:26 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Well the OP has been monitoring this since Oct. I have talked to CO employees none of which has said anything positive about this merger. I also have talked to many CO Flyers and NO ONE has said anything positive about it as well so it is not just myself with this opinion. Case in point. I just completed a flight Tuesday night from Denver to Philly. I made a comment during the prefight video where Jeff made his comment "you are going to like the changes" of which I made a comment that several overheard. Once I got off the plane I was stopped by a passenger on that same flight who was with a companion and they both agreed that the merger has affected service. They too were Platinum Elite. Merger will simply mean less competition which will lead to higher ticket prices and lower quality of service. But do not take my word for it just sit back and watch what happens. I have already seen and heard the results.
First, OP, Welcome to FlyerTalk! However, you have failed to address some of the salient points made by WineCountryUA and another responder. I think some of what you may have experienced has little to do with the merger.

But, I would generally agree that as a UA 1K I've seen less benefit than CO frequent fliers. To date, UA flyers are just happy to keep some of the perks, not gain more perks yet...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, LH
I agree with your observation that these mega-mergers mean less competition and likely higher prices, likely lowering of service standards and frequent flyer benefits.

Personally, I don't blame the airline executives as much as I blame the George W. Bush administration for allowing the combination of DL and NW. The NW/DL merger basically forced the merger of UA and CO. The post-bankruptcy entities have had extraordinary profits. (I know that that CO has not filed for bankruptcy for many years, but UA, NW and DL did shortly before the mergers began.)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by NorthFlyer
I agree with your observation that these mega-mergers mean less competition and likely higher prices, likely lowering of service standards and frequent flyer benefits.

Personally, I don't blame the airline executives as much as I blame the George W. Bush administration for allowing the combination of DL and NW. The NW/DL merger basically forced the merger of UA and CO. The post-bankruptcy entities have had extraordinary profits. (I know that that CO has not filed for bankruptcy for many years, but UA, NW and DL did shortly before the mergers began.)
Agree with all of this - mega-mergers are generally BAD for consumers! But we have ourselves to blame when we allow this stuff to go on unchallenged. Next time somethings like this comes up Write and Call your rep in Congress. and get your friends to do the same!

(Now I'm off to try and create a stink about At&T being allowed to merge with T-Mobile)

Last edited by StingWest; Apr 14, 2011 at 7:20 am
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by NorthFlyer
The post-bankruptcy entities have had extraordinary profits.
False.

The small profits they have earned pale compared to the much larger losses airlines have made over the last decade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.