What options do small business have?

Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
What options do small business have?

I own a small business that does a pretty good amount of travel. We have been on PerksPlus for awhile and it seems to be pretty worthless to be honest. It is nice to get something I guess but it is minimal.
Our number of people traveling is increasing slightly and the amount of spend is increasing.
What options does United have for the Small Business out there? I would love some first hand experiences from those who use them
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Have you looked into PassPlus? Depending on your travel patterns, it may be worth while to consider.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Here is some info about the PassPlus Secure program..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-program.html
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tend to think PassPlus (in any of its variations) isn't much of a deal either except in very limited cases. As far as I can tell, no airline has figured out how to mine the small business market successfully. UACO is definitely no exception to that general rule.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
A few questions:
  • Ballpark, what is your spend?
  • About how many travelers do you have?
  • Are there typical fares you purchase?
  • Are any of those premium fares?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Unless you're buying a lot of high fares like YBM or premium cabin fares it's doubtful you'd be able to negotiate anything. I work for a giant company who can negotiate and we get a nice discount off premium fares.. I recently booked a SEA-LHR round trip B fare on UA and the savings was about 20% off what I could get at United.com. However I've found that when booking lower booking codes the discount is very paltry.. like 1-2%. I'm not privy to what other perks the company gets.. I'm quite certain there are some status nominations but those things would be handed out at levels far higher than where I'm at.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by snapper6768
I own a small business that does a pretty good amount of travel. We have been on PerksPlus for awhile and it seems to be pretty worthless to be honest. It is nice to get something I guess but it is minimal.
Our number of people traveling is increasing slightly and the amount of spend is increasing.
What options does United have for the Small Business out there? I would love some first hand experiences from those who use them
Star Alliance unfortunately doesn't really have an alliance wide small business program whereas OW does.

My former employer was a large medical technology fire and with an Alliance contract had some substantial discounts from that. I know on one example the Alliance contract was ~45% less than I found for an LH flight in C.

If it's that much an issue, it may be worthwhile to look at the OW small business program as it entails discounts of up to 25%.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Continental has the Reward One program for small businesses.

http://rewardone.continental.com/

I do not know how it will shake out in the merger, but definitely worth looking at.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
Continental has the Reward One program for small businesses.

http://rewardone.continental.com/

I do not know how it will shake out in the merger, but definitely worth looking at.
We use Reward One - no discounts, but the points do eventually add up and you can get reward seats or buy someone a Silver Elite. But we mostly get club passes, drink coupons and PC memberships using the points. A little perk, but nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.