Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

15488 Miles for $1384; Did I get a good deal?

15488 Miles for $1384; Did I get a good deal?

Old Apr 12, 11, 12:31 am
Original Poster

30976 Miles for $1384; did I get a good deal?

Hi, Everyone. Today I booked the following multicity itinerary:

PEK - ORD - MCI* - DEN - BIL - DEN - ONT - SFO - NRT -ICN

The total miles without my Premier Executive bonus will amount to 15488, and I paid $1384. Is this a good deal for the money I paid?

*The flight from ORD to MCI and onto DEN is the same so I only receive 888 miles for that portion of the journey.

Thanks!

-Bryan

Last edited by premierstudent; Apr 12, 11 at 12:45 am Reason: Didn't add the miles right.
Old Apr 12, 11, 1:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
What measure are you wanting to use?
Good deal for travel ?
Good deal as a mileage run for status? nearly 9 cpm is high by MR terms, many mileage runner shoot for 5 cpm based on EQMs
Good deal for earning RDMs? many try for 2-3 cpm for RDM, 4.5 cpm would be a bit high.
No bad earning numbers but short of the typical MR goals

Originally Posted by premierstudent View Post
...*The flight from ORD to MCI and onto DEN is the same so I only receive 888 miles for that portion of the journey....
UA flight segements now book individually even if same flight number
Old Apr 12, 11, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
...many mileage runner shoot for 5 cpm based on EQMs
Good deal for earning RDMs? many try for 2-3 cpm for RDM, 4.5 cpm would be a bit high.
I'd say that your metrics are even on the high side for a straight run. Something below 3cpEQM is really the aim, along with 1-2cpRDM based on that being a reasonable redemption value.
Old Apr 12, 11, 11:58 am

Programs: 1K; Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I'd say that your metrics are even on the high side for a straight run. Something below 3cpEQM is really the aim, along with 1-2cpRDM based on that being a reasonable redemption value.
Although I would think that the recent run-up in fuel costs may have impacted past metrics.
Old Apr 12, 11, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by premierstudent View Post
PEK - ORD - MCI* - DEN - BIL - DEN - ONT - SFO - NRT -ICN

The total miles without my Premier Executive bonus will amount to 15488, and I paid $1384. Is this a good deal for the money I paid?
It's OK if you want to visit those cities. As a pure MR, not so much.

Personally, I value one mile at about 1.7 cents, so then I can do the math on a trip. If I earn 10,000 miles, then those miles are worth $170. If I paid $470 for the ticket, then it's really costing me $300. Of course, there are other factors, such as "will I need this trip for 1K" or "will I get more CR1s because I take this trip".

So if I am flying Chicago to Tokyo and I can take a nonstop flight or a connecting flight (and earn 1000 more miles), I can just ask myself if connecting is worth $17.00 more to me. Keeps things in perspective for me.

And of course, everyone values miles differently.
Old Apr 12, 11, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Everyone,

Thank you most sincerely for your information. I was using the amount of places visited and miles earned for the price to factor in if I got my money's worth. Based on the responses I received it seems like I got an okay deal for my money. I appreciate your input very much.

With gratitude,

Bryan
Old Apr 12, 11, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DCEsquire View Post
Although I would think that the recent run-up in fuel costs may have impacted past metrics.
The numbers for me this year are still right around 3cpEQM. It is certainly a bit harder, and more of the trips are longer, international runs, but I'm doing OK so far. No idea how things will look the second half of the year yet. Most of my big trips are awards so far in the second half.
Old Apr 12, 11, 4:06 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
...UA flight segements now book individually even if same flight number
Can someone confirm this? I just booked an itinerary with an IAD-SFO-LAX portion (one flight number, aircraft change in SFO) and I was told by the UA elite help desk that I would not:

1) receive the 500 mile minimum from SFO to LAX
2) get an extra elite qualification segment
3) be eligible for an upgrade on one segment if the upgrade on the other segment cannot also clear

I really hope that WineCountryUA is correct and that the PremExec help line agent was wrong, but unfortunately I doubt it....
Old Apr 12, 11, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by o mikros View Post
Can someone confirm this? I just booked an itinerary with an IAD-SFO-LAX portion (one flight number, aircraft change in SFO) and I was told by the UA elite help desk that I would not:

1) receive the 500 mile minimum from SFO to LAX
2) get an extra elite qualification segment
3) be eligible for an upgrade on one segment if the upgrade on the other segment cannot also clear

I really hope that WineCountryUA is correct and that the PremExec help line agent was wrong, but unfortunately I doubt it....
Yes, I can confirm this is what will happen.
Old Apr 12, 11, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The UA help desk was wrong IMO -- is that what the above poster meant?
Old Apr 12, 11, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
The UA help desk was wrong IMO -- is that what the above poster meant?
Wrong on 1 & 2, correct on 3 if it is booked at a 1-stop IAD-LAX, would seem to be the received view these days. Mind you, the mileage itself should reflect 2920 or whatever it is on the reservation, like UA906 SFO-MUC will show 6381, as opposed to the 5800 something you would get on a direct SFO-MUC flight. You wouldn't see it broken out on the reservation if it is ticketed as one flight.
Old Apr 12, 11, 7:28 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
The numbers for me this year are still right around 3cpEQM. It is certainly a bit harder, and more of the trips are longer, international runs, but I'm doing OK so far. No idea how things will look the second half of the year yet. Most of my big trips are awards so far in the second half.
it is not possible to aim at 3cpm for someone living in a small town like me.
Old Apr 12, 11, 9:49 pm

Programs: IHG, Choice Hotels, Hyatt -Plat, Hilton, Carlson - Gold, BWR - Diamond, Marriott - Silver
United's Award Accelerator program

Just to share with you fellow FTers. I have an upcoming flight from ONT to ATH. Total miles is 14571, UA wants $283.00 or $586.00 for 29,142. It works out to about .02 cents a mile. To buy this many miles 29,000 is $956.00 bucks. Sounds like a deal and I am seriously thinking about it as I am traveling on an award ticket 55,000 miles and my account still has 166,000 miles in it. Do you guys feel this is a good deal like I do?? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 12, 11, 9:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by malkounis View Post
{United's Award Accelerator program}
...Do you guys feel this is a good deal like I do?? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
you may find the discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html useful. In general, opinion is split on purchase RDMs at 2+ cpm and mostly negative at 3 cpm.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: