Search

ORD - Domestic Priority Security Access

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
ORD - Domestic Priority Security Access

Good morning FT!

Even after going through the Priority Security line at ORD this morning, I am still not 100% sure who is allowed access. I booked my girlfriend an award ticket in United First - Is she eligible for the priority line? Or is that strictly reserved for MP and One Pass elites? FWIW, she does not have status with any airline.

Also, slightly unrelated - What is the policy on boarding PAX ahead of their designated boarding group? i.e. I'm 1, she's 4...Can she board with me and the rest of the 1's?

Happy Monday!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Good morning FT!

Even after going through the Priority Security line at ORD this morning, I am still not 100% sure who is allowed access. I booked my girlfriend an award ticket in United First - Is she eligible for the priority line? Or is that strictly reserved for MP and One Pass elites? FWIW, she does not have status with any airline.

Also, slightly unrelated - What is the policy on boarding PAX ahead of their designated boarding group? i.e. I'm 1, she's 4...Can she board with me and the rest of the 1's?
A passenger in First can use a priority security line, regardless of their status and how the ticket was booked.

As for boarding, passengers traveling together can board with their group's lowest number. (though I don't think that would extend to a group 4 boarding with an F passenger).
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
....I booked my girlfriend an award ticket in United First - ...
Also, slightly unrelated - What is the policy on boarding PAX ahead of their designated boarding group? i.e. I'm 1, she's 4...Can she board with me and the rest of the 1's?...
If in F, she will not be boarding group 4

If this is for a different flight, she can board with you if you are 1 and she is 4.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Priority security is available to all UA/CO elite customers, as well as those in the C and F cabins.

If you're talking about boarding the flight your GF is in F for, she will not be in boarding 4, but will be called before group 1, with F, GS and 1K's on the red carpet. Usually, those in higher groups can board with those in lower groups if traveling together, but really not sure that applies when we're talking about adding someone to the red carpet boarding line.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help.

I knew that she wouldn't be in Group 4 on an F ticket, but her return is not in F. She'll be flying by herself in F ORD-SAN and we'll be fly SAN-ORD together in E+. (Hence the 4 and 1)

Now I have to decide if it's worth explaining to her how to find / take advantage of the benefits associated with UF. It's an 8:10 PM flight on a Thursday - I can't imagine that the domestic security will be too busy.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 2K, MM, SPG PLT
Priority security at ORD is a joke anyway, so don't stress. In my experience it's about the same as any other security line 70% of the time, LONGER 5% and quicker the other 25%. Thursday night at say 6pm on any line will be fine.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, TK Elite, GE
Originally Posted by Cosmos M
Priority security at ORD is a joke anyway, so don't stress. In my experience it's about the same as any other security line 70% of the time, LONGER 5% and quicker the other 25%. Thursday night at say 6pm on any line will be fine.
Depends very much of time you get there. Usually I'm at T1 around early afternoon (inbound flight from Europe) and I've never seen more than 10 people waiting there, no matter which weekday. On Mondays at 6am it's hell of course.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unblack
On Mondays at 6am it's hell of course.
Which unfortunately for me is when most of my outbounds originate...I could get used to a Tuesday afternoon flight or two!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 2:29 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
Just a heads up--the north priority security line on the non-elite check in side of the terminal (by Lufthansa check in area) seems to be quicker than the south area priority line.

I have seen on several occasions UA employees come get a lot of people and move them (walk them ) 100 yards (guess) to the other line.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jss
Just a heads up--the north priority security line on the non-elite check in side of the terminal (by Lufthansa check in area) seems to be quicker than the south area priority line.
I've found this too.

The security that is at the very south end of terminal 1, past the Global Services office, usually has shorter lines, at least it does in the late morning. This is not a priority security area. Also, the body scanners in this area are used on every 6th person (the last few times I've been through), so that is predictable (unless an opt-out like me throws a wrench into the count).
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pax traveling are priority pax. Your GF is not a "4" if she is in F. She is an F and will board ahead of you if you are a "1" (and not in F or have GS/1K Status).
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Pax traveling are priority pax. Your GF is not a "4" if she is in F. She is an F and will board ahead of you if you are a "1" (and not in F or have GS/1K Status).
Thanks, I'm aware of that.

"I knew that she wouldn't be in Group 4 on an F ticket, but her return is not in F. She'll be flying by herself in F ORD-SAN and we'll be fly SAN-ORD together in E+. (Hence the 4 and 1)"
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by Cosmos M
IME the "premier security" by the "premiere" check in is always significantly shorter than the kettle line. The most I've waited is 5 minutes tops.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ande777emt
IME the "premier security" by the "premiere" check in is always significantly shorter than the kettle line. The most I've waited is 5 minutes tops.
You must not be traveling between the hours of 6:00 and 8:00 AM on Monday mornings
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ande777emt
Just a silly question, but....

Why does the priority lane have a full-body scanner, but the kettle lane doesn't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.