Weird Z fare booking experience

Old Apr 10, 2011, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold
Weird Z fare booking experience

I have an upcoming reservation AUS/PEK booked as Z through UA. The outbound segments are on UA. Inbound is on CO via EWR. The last segment is EWR/AUS and showed up as Y. I called United and was told that there was no discounted first available on this flight and therefore it booked into Y. I looked on the Continental web site to see where I'd fall as far as upgrade priority goes and couldn't tell—they didn't list Z as a fare class. I called CO customer service and was told that as a United elite I was not eligible for upgrades. I knew this to be wrong so I said good bye and called back. This time the agent first said there weren't any upgrade seats available, but when I asked where I fell as far as upgrade priority went she looked again and somehow managed to get me a seat in F. The fare class for EWR/AUS now shows as FE on Continental and F on United.
Needless to say, I am happy, but I'm wondering what went on. My guess is that I was the equivalent of a full fare Y as far as CO was concerned and therefore eligible for upgrade at time of booking. Or maybe the second agent was being extra nice. Or both.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any CO/UA elite can instant-upgrade on a Y fare if there is any F seat for sale on the plane on EUA-able routes. IAH-AUS is EUA-able so the Y fare there instant-upgraded.

And there is more F inventory than Z inventory so the lack of Z inventory there pushed the segment back down to coach and then your elite status got it back up to F.

Clear as mud, huh?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.