Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100K for BA Visa card. Worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
100K for BA Visa card. Worth getting?

I am hoping the mods don't move this because I really only want to hear from CO and UA folks.

BA has brought back its 100K offer for getting its Visa card (like CO and UA cards, its from Chase). You get 50K for first use and the second 50K if you spend $2,500 in the first three months you have the card.

The offer (and everything else) is here:

British Airways Visa Signature Card

I was wondering if anyone is going after this offer and if it worth it just to get the miles for possible future use, even though BA is a oneworld carrier.

I primarily use CO and currently use the CO PPlus card. (I got the UA Select card last year to get the initial 30K miles because of the merger and use it at the supermarket.)

Thanks for your advice.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
You should look at BA's partner list and decide for yourself whether or not you can avail yourself of 100K BA miles. This isn't a CO, UA or XYZ issue. It boils down to you being able to use an almost free ($95) 100K BA miles. JMHO.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Thepointsguy has a terrific rundown of the BAEC programme and various redemption opportunities; also a thread on the FT BA forum - take a look and see what you think. We snagged BA cards last year and it's been very worthwhile for an upcoming TPAC family vacation and another in the works later this year most likely.

Sure I'd somewhat prefer to be on UA for E+ and lounge access (no status in OW) for the international trips. But the deal was just too good to pass up. I also enjoy the lack of forex fees (though it's not the only card with that feature), BAEC household account setup, and 1.25mile/$ earning rate

As with anything, a little time spent understanding BAEC strengths and weaknesses is important. I initially passed up the BA Visa deal last year, from having only glanced at the BA Only award chart, thought about the BA YQ charges, and dismissed it. Later I realized some great opportunities with partner redemptions and kicked myself for not having applied. Luckily the wife and I caught the brief return of the offer in Feb 09.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:07 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
philemer is correct that this is not a UA or CO issue. There are a couple of threads in Miles Buzz and in the British Air forum about this offer. I suggest checking those out.

l'etoile
UA moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.