Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new United at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Interesting discussions from both sides. I am sure there are similar types of arguments in any corporate mergers: downsize one plant versus shifting workers from one divsion to another, etc.

I think both sides have good, sound, valid arguments. Emotions have shown throught phrases and words that I would not personally use but I have heard during exchanges between two rival managements during integration process...such as calling people "kids" and 'arrogant".

I have flown UA for a long time. Although I am loytal, I am so critical of UA. I have also flown CO since its entry into *A. IMHO:

1. CO BusinessFirst Seats are great versus UA C lie-flat seat
2. CO International Meals are better than UA C/F meals and "much much better" IFE.
3. UA offers better flying experience on internaitonal routes in the widebodies. This is personal preference because sitting in a aluminum tube for so long, the feel of spacious cabin does help. I'd rather have inferior seats to sit in the widebody because I own personal perference of space, and not influenced by any scientific research on airplane safety or better seats.
4. UA has better upgrade opportunties because there are more C seats, and upgrade opportunities are less on CO because there are less J seats. It will be interesting to observe whether using widebody jets out of EWR will generate more revenue or increase upgrade opportunity.
5. We all know EWR slots are hard to come by, and I agree increaseing airplane capacity is the right way to go.
6. UA does a lot of government contract travel, and it seems any flights to EU from IAD are still done in Y for governement employees. It is great benefit for government employees to upgrade on official travels.
7. NY has more business travels, and therefore it seems logic to increase premium cabin capacity to potentially genereate more revenue
8. As an IAD-based flyer, I feel cheated that my beloved airlines is taking away the widebdies away.
However, I do look forward to sitting in the BusinessFirst seats.
9. As a frequent international flyer in and out of NY, I am excited of flying the new United to EU from EWR on widebodies instead of sitting in the 757, but dread of the commute from the city to EWR. On the bright side, I don't have to endure the IAD immigration mess.
10. I am sure sooner or later we may see a thread title called ' The new United at CLE".... the dicussion on that thread may reflect the sentiments of this thread but CO and UA flyers may switch side on the debate.

Hope we give the integration some time to digest. I will get used to fly the better BusinessFirst seat on the 757, and CO flyers may need to adjust having limited IFE program choice or lesser menu choices while sitting in a more spacious cabin.

At the end of the day, we will want our favorite airlines to do well.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:54 pm

Can someone point me to the thread where CO flyers are pissed about losing their TATL 752s?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by carvalh2
To each his own. But the 752 isn't the end of the world, so people need to stop acting like it.
Why? Because you say so?

Originally Posted by sbm12
. But I can temper that irrational desire with the understanding that the product I am getting isn't all that horrible and that as an added bonus the company is a bit more likely to actually stay in business. Doesn't suck to me.
It doesn't suck to you because you benefit, being an EWR flyer.

In my very first observation about this move on another thread, I clearly and unambiguously stated that I understood the reason for UA's decision. It does make perfect sense. But I'm not a UA executive trying to make money. I'm a UA passenger who wants a level of comfort that I believe doesn't exist in the product being relegated to IAD.

It isn't just the IAD-CDG route. IAD-AMS is also being given the cast off CO 757. As a IAD flyer, from my perspective, that isn't an upgrade, it's a downgrade, just as connecting through EWR to get to AMS or CDG.

And the response for expressing my opinion? I'm told it's wrong - which is hilarious, as I didn't know opinions could be "wrong" - or I'm told to stop complaining, because it isn't the end of the world.

Since when did the standard for posting on this board become "you can only post positive comments about post-merger United?"

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
3. UA offers better flying experience on internaitonal routes in the widebodies. This is personal preference because sitting in a aluminum tube for so long, the feel of spacious cabin does help. I'd rather have inferior seats to sit in the widebody because I own personal perference of space, and not influenced by any scientific research on airplane safety or better seats.
4. UA has better upgrade opportunties because there are more C seats, and upgrade opportunities are less on CO because there are less J seats. It will be interesting to observe whether using widebody jets out of EWR will generate more revenue or increase upgrade opportunity.
8. As an IAD-based flyer, I feel cheated that my beloved airlines is taking away the widebdies away.
I hope you realize that by stating the above, you will be told with great authority that you are "wrong" and that you have nothing to complain about with these recent moves.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 8, 2011 at 7:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I hope you realize that by stating the above, you will be told with great authority that you are "wrong" and that you have nothing to complain about with these recent moves.

I mean, the problem going forward with the 'new' United is the mentality that PMUA instilled in its elites. PMUA elites were groomed to believe they are supreme and better than every other traveler in EVERY respect. I don't believe they are going to see this going forward and there will be an adjustment period where stuff like this cross-fleeting is really going to p**s off the PMUA elites (can't use UA SWU yet on CO metal that already has a horrible ratio for upgrade chances).

OTOH you have PMCO elites that were by no means treated badly, but not treated like kings and goddesses either. If you complained to CO about something, you were LUCKY to get a $50 voucher. So, the mentality is different and at some point there will be a meeting of the minds. I don't know when that point will be (PMUA elites: when h**l freezeth over ), but I think it will happen.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Never said I knew what was best for anyone. My point was, if you haven't tried the CO 752 TATL, I don't think you can have an accurate opinion on the experience. If you are philosophically opposed to smaller aircraft on long routes, then your options are:
-Move to the NYC area
-Take a connection to EWR
-Switch to Sky Team
-Deal
-fly the UA ord-cdg

I've flown the CO 752 TATL twice in Y. I'll pass thanks. I'm sure C on the 752 is wonderful... as my UA SWUs are worthless on CO, I won't have the opportunity to find out.

Since when did the standard for posting on this board become "you can only post positive comments about post-merger United?"
Well that's only true when it's the CO part of the post-merger United.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Why? Because you say so?
I apparently can't reason with you. I could be dramatic and agree with you that the 752 is really THAT horrible, but then we would both be wrong.
But I guess it is all on the butt of the seat holder. If you feel it is that horrible, without even trying it, you have choices.

Yes, a couple routes that are getting a 77 will just make us soooo happy.
Forget all the other routes that still get 752s.

In my very first observation about this move on another thread, I clearly and unambiguously stated that I understood the reason for UA's decision. It does make perfect sense. But I'm not a UA executive trying to make money. I'm a UA passenger who wants a level of comfort that I believe doesn't exist in the product being relegated to IAD.
If that is your position you are perfectly entitled to it. If it is in fact that horrible, then I guess you will have no choice but to switch airlines. Unless it is not that horrible?

It isn't just the IAD-CDG route. IAD-AMS is also being given the cast off CO 757. As a IAD flyer, from my perspective, that isn't an upgrade, it's a downgrade, just as connecting through EWR to get to AMS or CDG.
Sorry you feel that way, but poop happens. Such is life.

And the response for expressing my opinion? I'm told it's wrong - which is hilarious, as I didn't know opinions could be "wrong" - or I'm told to stop complaining, because it isn't the end of the world.
You are perfectly entitled to an opinion. Where you get is when you make it seem like the world is coming to an end. I guess if IAD-CDG is you primary route, and you hate narrow bodies this much, then you are out of luck. Vote with your wallet and take AF.

Agreed 100%

He expresses his opinions without drama and objectively. You should try.
And I did say that there are some legitimate gripes you could have with this new arrangement, like people that book last minute Y seats who will most likely get stuck in E-. That is a legitimate gripe.

If you get an ELR seat on row 7 of a 752, they are better that E+. If you get row 21, they are the same as E+. Someone suggested to get a 500 dolar Ipad and load it with content. I suggest a 20 dolar self inflating seat pad for you butt. It deflates and fits into a pouch smaller than a soda can.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by Renard
-fly the UA ord-cdg

I've flown the CO 752 TATL twice in Y. I'll pass thanks. I'm sure C on the 752 is wonderful... as my UA SWUs are worthless on CO, I won't have the opportunity to find out.
This is a sensible comment. You tried, still not your cup of tea, you take an alternate routing. Thanks for not injecting unnecessary drama into it.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 5:50 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
There is an issue here that has not been taken on directly and needs to be acknolwedged. Although DC is important because it is the nation's capital, at heart it is nowhere near as important or powerful as New York. New York is the center of the financial world and in truth really the capital of the world. DC is a small town. So while people in DC will still have the benefit of direct flights on some of the foreign carriers, I think it makes sense for DC people to get used to connecting in New York or accepting that the market doesn't support DC receiving the same level of service. Just be glad that DC is important enough to get the level of service it does and move on. You could be the poor souls in Cleveland.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:16 am

He expresses his opinions without drama and objectively. You should try.
Sorry, I didn't get the memo appoint you as the arbiter of posting standards on FT. Could you send me a copy?

Look, if I was a NYC UA customer, I'd be much happier today. I get it that there are winners and losers in any merger, and at IAD, we're in for a losing stretch.

What raises my ire is the suggestion by some here that I should be happy because I'm getting a product that someone else really likes. That would be like me telling every luxury sports sedan owner that they should love owning an Acura TL because I do.

Originally Posted by gawhite411
So while people in DC will still have the benefit of direct flights on some of the foreign carriers, I think it makes sense for DC people to get used to connecting in New York or accepting that the market doesn't support DC receiving the same level of service. Just be glad that DC is important enough to get the level of service it does and move on. You could be the poor souls in Cleveland.
True enough - thank goodness I don't live in Cleveland. At least here in DC I do have an option if UA continues to starve us with substandard international service.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by gawhite411
There is an issue here that has not been taken on directly and needs to be acknolwedged. Although DC is important because it is the nation's capital, at heart it is nowhere near as important or powerful as New York. New York is the center of the financial world and in truth really the capital of the world. DC is a small town. So while people in DC will still have the benefit of direct flights on some of the foreign carriers, I think it makes sense for DC people to get used to connecting in New York or accepting that the market doesn't support DC receiving the same level of service. Just be glad that DC is important enough to get the level of service it does and move on. You could be the poor souls in Cleveland.
El. Oh. El.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I had my first chance to fly the CO 757 from AMS-EWR yesterday and I have to say I was happier than the UA flights.... ok sure the 767 with the 2-3-2 config is great and all other UA planes are basically minimum of 3 seats together anyway. In the end there were No waiting at all for the bathroom on the 757 and it was a packed plane, there is the touch screen entertainment, but honestly the best part was, power in the seat and I could just watch stuff on my computer for 8 hours and not worry about anything.

Seats seemed softer than UA seats, I'm a small guy 5'8" 150, and those UA seats just hurt, I have to usually put a blanket on the seat itself for extra padding.

Overall, I was impressed, with the 757. Give me power in a seat and I'll take that over any sort of entertainment, but CO gives you both, win-win.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:01 am

You apparently know nothing about me or my travel patterns. The chances of this change having a meaningful impact on which aircraft I happen to fly on at all in the near future is so close to nil that is is not worth mentioning. To suggest that I'm making my evaluation based on personal bias is ludicrous.

Just like the claims that the 752 TATL is a miserable experience that is an insult to travelers the world over.
Originally Posted by zabes64
Seats seemed softer than UA seats, I'm a small guy 5'8" 150, and those UA seats just hurt, I have to usually put a blanket on the seat itself for extra padding.

Overall, I was impressed, with the 757. Give me power in a seat and I'll take that over any sort of entertainment, but CO gives you both, win-win.
Impossible. Don't you know that CO has the wrst seats in the history of the world and choosing the 752 - or any other CO product - is a self-loathing, masochistic decision.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Popcorn, table 1 please.

Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
To suggest that I'm making my evaluation based on personal bias is ludicrous.

Just like the claims that the 752 TATL is a miserable experience that is an insult to travelers the world over.
Since you haven't stated the basis for your opinion, I don't see a problem in assuming that convenience is a factor.

I love how you can take what is a personal preference and turn it into a objective, verifiable fact. I'm sure there are many people who love the 757 TATL. I'm happy for them. I'm just not one of them.

But like another poster already noted, can you direct us to the thread on FT where CO flyers are complaining about losing their beloved 757's?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:19 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This thread has become increasingly a place for personal attacks. As this is disallowed by FlyerTalk rules, the thread is closed. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.