Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Snack in F on UA means something different than Snack in F on CO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snack in F on UA means something different than Snack in F on CO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by formeraa
Originally Posted by emanon256
Last week I also heard the following conversation.

PAX to FA, "Wow, Ive never flown first class, this was worth the $150 to upgrade, how much is it normally."

FA to PAX, "It costs about $500 to fly first class, but I guarantee you not a single person up here paid to fly first class, no one actually pays, United even give free upgrades to all of their frequent fliers, they just started doing that, they all fly for free."

I can't tell you how much that pissed me off.
It's amazing how bluntly-presented facts can piss people off!
I've never seen an F ticket for $500, almost never under $900 each way.

I have been paying $400-$500 each way for economy.

I have paid to fly in F.

How is anything she said a fact? Even "United even gives upgrades to all of their frequent fliers." is not a fact, being eligible and wait listed does not mean ALL frequent fliers get upgraded.

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
While certainly tactless in how she said it, she was not incorrect. Very few people actually pay for F domestically on any airline anymore. Why did this piss you off?
It's insulting to pay for a service, and then be presented as a moocher. And on the times I don't pay, I make sure I give all of my business to one company in order to receive a published benefit (That I rarely receive) and still be considered a parasite by their employees. Thats why it pissed me off.

Last edited by emanon256; Apr 5, 2011 at 9:27 pm Reason: Merge
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
What was the F product like back then? How was it different than now?

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
Seems folks accustumed to CO travel will see a downgrade in domestic F catering as we transition to the new United. I was a heavy traveller of UA (1K for three years) until about 2001. UA domestic F catering at the time was superior to AA, which was the other carrier I travelled with allot in those days.
I finally gave up on UA as a result of three things: Summer of discontent pilot strike, not getting upgrades due to employees in premium cabins (employee class on UA), and a run-in with the station manager at GRU which just irked me to no end. UA paid the price and lost my business. Will have to see how they are now. If the employee upgrade situation had not improved (ie employees stop trumping paying passengers on upgrades), I guess I will be an AA only flyer.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: United 1K MM; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Alaska 75K
Hot Nuts

I just hope United keeps the hot nuts in First. For some reason, I really like this. I do miss the fruit and cheese plate though.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by Andy1369
I cannot speak of UA now, as I have not flown them for the last 4-6 years. I was a heavy UA flyer from 1998-2002. Domestic F meals were delicious and the amount of food was substantial. On a morning departure from MIA to LAX, one got a full warm b'fast upon departure, sandwiches before arrival, and there was actually a small snack mid-flight. OK this was J on a 777 but lots of food for a 5 hour flight. Mid-continent breakfast flights had three F meal options: cereal and then two warm plates- one of which often was a breakfast sampler with omlette, pancakes, sausage, bacon, potato, etc. Also, there was consistency in that you knew what sort of meal or snack you would be getting....something that seems to be totally lacking today.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've never seen an F ticket for $500, almost never under $900 each way.
I have with some regularity. I could probably name a handful of routes in that range without too much trouble.

I have been paying $400-$500 each way for economy.
Definitely not that much for me recently.

I have paid to fly in F.
Ditto, but only when it is absurdly cheap.
Also, there was consistency in that you knew what sort of meal or snack you would be getting....something that seems to be totally lacking today.
This is the part that seems most confusing. There are rules about departure times, trip length (miles or block time) and probably other things. And then there is just whatever the airline throws out there as an exception to those rules to suit themselves. It certainly doesn't help that the various places the meal details are listed can vary for the same flight.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is the part that seems most confusing. There are rules about departure times, trip length (miles or block time) and probably other things. And then there is just whatever the airline throws out there as an exception to those rules to suit themselves. It certainly doesn't help that the various places the meal details are listed can vary for the same flight.
In a recent e-mail to 1KVoice about not receiving a snack on a flight that met all of the published requirements to receive a snack, I got a response stating:

"We provide full travel details for our guests on our website at www.united.com in order to avoid confusion which states that...our services are subject to change at any time without notice."
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA MP
Just to compare for ORD-DCA, the flight would have a meal (salad, rolls, entree and dessert) that was far superior to what is offered now (even on flights two or three times the length). There would always be two choices for meals (although no menus) as well.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:08 am

I didn't fly nearly as much back then, I only got upgraded to F once in the 80s, and could never have afforded to pay for it back then, heck I still can't afford it except on occasion when I find a really low fare.

I just remember it being so glamorous. It was DEN-LGA and there were appetizers, fine linens, spectacular service. I had Rabbit, I don't remember what the other choice was. It was the first time (and last time) I ate rabbit, I remember liking it, I just don't see rabbit on menus very often.

To the best of my memory, the meals they serve in F today, are equivalent to the meals they used to serve in coach, except for the little plastic coffee cup that came pre-inserted in the little cut out in the tray.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Well times have changed, UA does not flythe MIA-LAX route any longer. They do fly LAX-MCO non-stop and the food service on that route is horrible in FC. But of course the aircraft is double catered out of ORD as UA does not cater in MCO. Not too sure why they don't, since they have many flights out of MCO.

Meals on planes are not what they use to do be, even UA's P.S service and AA's Flagship service isn't what it use to be.

I cannot speak of UA now, as I have not flown them for the last 4-6 years. I was a heavy UA flyer from 1998-2002. Domestic F meals were delicious and the amount of food was substantial. On a morning departure from MIA to LAX, one got a full warm b'fast upon departure, sandwiches before arrival, and there was actually a small snack mid-flight. OK this was J on a 777 but lots of food for a 5 hour flight. Mid-continent breakfast flights had three F meal options: cereal and then two warm plates- one of which often was a breakfast sampler with omlette, pancakes, sausage, bacon, potato, etc. Also, there was consistency in that you knew what sort of meal or snack you would be getting....something that seems to be totally lacking today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.