Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No bonus miles for elite members when flying Swiss?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

I recently flew Swiss in C on SFO-ZRH-CPH and I haven't received any bonus for elite members. Does anyone has the same experience? I was under impression I should be able to get the bonus miles whenever flying any star alliance airline.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your impression was incorrect.

Elite bonus miles are only available on AC, CO, UA, US, LH and NH metal. And the NH thing is brand new so there may be some limitations on that earning but that isn't entirely clear yet. This applies the same to both Mileage Plus and OnePass accrual.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. I guess I was under a wrong impression as I usually fly UA/LH/AC. Do you know why is that? Why LH is different from LX (LX is fully owned by LH)? Why are some *A partners more equal than others?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SnowmanX
Why are some *A partners more equal than others?
Because they are. Always have been.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BA Gold
Part of the reason may be in conjunction as to why SWU's are available on LH and not LX:
LX is positioned within the LH group as a "premium" brand, so giving away EQS/EQM's and upgrade possibilities might not be what they had in mind for LX.

Just a hypothetical explanation.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Interesting. I guess I was under a wrong impression as I usually fly UA/LH/AC. Do you know why is that? Why LH is different from LX (LX is fully owned by LH)? Why are some *A partners more equal than others?
Its a reciprocal arrangement. Remember those extra miles cost the participating carriers extra money to buy. It becomes a marketing cost to encourage us elites to stick with certain STAR carriers if we have to venture off our home airline. Obviously SX doesn't believe it needs to add this extra mileage to attract us.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:46 am

LX isn't part of the TATL joint venture UA has with LH (and others).
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I find it much more tragic that you cannot use printed SWUs on LX and OS ... very depressing.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Interesting. I guess I was under a wrong impression as I usually fly UA/LH/AC.
Are you an elite in Skyteam as well? Because over there they get bonus miles for all airlines.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM+ - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Lack
LX isn't part of the TATL joint venture UA has with LH (and others).
Incorrect, LX is part of the new ATI (ie sometimes referred to as Star++).
All of the LH owned airlines are part of the JV, amongst others.

Here is a link to the application and approval from the DOT.
http://www.regulations.gov/#!searchR...-OST-2008-0234

As for the bonus aspect it is just what it is in *. IMHO it is an attempt to encourage flying on the more 'active and pressing' members of the alliance.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: CO Silver, Hyatt Platinum
This is definitely a weak point of the star alliance. Its why I only fly my main airline, and occasionally fly the *A partners that give elite bonus miles.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by CoSmo001
This is definitely a weak point of the star alliance. Its why I only fly my main airline, and occasionally fly the *A partners that give elite bonus miles.
That makes for some funny routings to certain locations then!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: 1K, 1 Mil UAL, Diamond HILTON Plat Marroitt
I recently flew Swiss in C on SFO-ZRH-CPH and I haven't received any bonus for elite members. Does anyone has the same experience? I was under impression I should be able to get the bonus miles whenever flying any star alliance airline.
I recently flew 2 R/T's from IAH to SHV. It was on CO Express dba Colgon Air. I waited for credits which were never given. After calling MP I was told that CO doesn't give credits for any flight #'s begining with 9500. I don't get it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.