Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA frequent flyers: Avoid CO to/from Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA frequent flyers: Avoid CO to/from Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta 1M, Marriott Platinum
Unhappy UA frequent flyers: Avoid CO to/from Hawaii

I'm a United 1K and have been very disappointed at the progress made on the UA/CO "merger" thus far. Lots of finger pointing and some underlying bitterness.

I am based in Hawaii and recently chose a CO trip based on the assumptions that I would be able to get status upgrades on the CO segments. Apparently that is not the case on the Hawaii flights. After 4 phone calls to the 1K desk and 2 phone calls to CO, someone finally remember that CO does not do status updates to Hawaii and they don't allow United FF's to use points to upgrade to/from Hawaii.

Hopefully they will get this ironed out soon or CO will get completely integrated in to the UA system. Until that time, I'll avoid CO.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by SnowDogDad
I'm a United 1K and have been very disappointed at the progress made on the UA/CO "merger" thus far. Lots of finger pointing and some underlying bitterness.

I am based in Hawaii and recently chose a CO trip based on the assumptions that I would be able to get status upgrades on the CO segments. Apparently that is not the case on the Hawaii flights. After 4 phone calls to the 1K desk and 2 phone calls to CO, someone finally remember that CO does not do status updates to Hawaii and they don't allow United FF's to use points to upgrade to/from Hawaii.

Hopefully they will get this ironed out soon or CO will get completely integrated in to the UA system. Until that time, I'll avoid CO.
this has been discussed in other threads. CO DOES upgrade on flights to the west coast, but NOT to Houston or Newark. THe explanation is that they use internationally configured aircraft to Houston and Newark.

Yes, BIG thumbs down to CO for not allowing those upgrades and for not explaining this well.

aloha
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by SnowDogDad

Since you're 1K you can do an online status match to CO plat, and freely transfer miles between the 2 programs. Then you could use CO miles to upgrade Hawaii flights.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clublounger
Yes, BIG thumbs down to CO for not allowing those upgrades and for not explaining this well.
What part is not explained well?
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../upgrades.aspx
OnePass Elite members are eligible for unlimited complimentary First Class upgrades on flights operated by Continental, United and Copa Airlines* flights in the following markets:

* Mainland U.S.
* Alaska
* Canada
* Hawaii (select flights)**
* Mexico
* Caribbean
* Central America
* Northern South America (select flights)***
* Southern South America (Copa Airlines flights only)
* Asia/Oceania (select flights)+

OnePass Elite members are now eligible for Unlimited Domestic Upgrades on United. See our frequently asked questions.

* Not eligible for United Mileage Plus Elite members

** Applies to Continental flights to/from California and all intra-Pacific flights except nonstops to/from Guam
It seems that they actually explicitly define the routes that are eligible for the upgrades.

And I do expect the rule to change just as soon as the configuration of the planes flying the route changes. When the domestic config 77s and 76s start the EWR/IAH-HNL routes it'll be complimentary.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12

It seems that they actually explicitly define the routes that are eligible for the upgrades.

And I do expect the rule to change just as soon as the configuration of the planes flying the route changes. When the domestic config 77s and 76s start the EWR/IAH-HNL routes it'll be complimentary.

Agreed. I think the OP made an assumption based on bad data or past experience flying UA.

I'm sure a CO flyer in a similar situation has booked a UA PS flight and expected to upgrade just to find out that UA has this flight as an exception, much like CO has HNL-EWR/IAH as exceptions.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I'm sure a CO flyer in a similar situation has booked a UA PS flight and expected to upgrade just to find out that UA has this flight as an exception, much like CO has HNL-EWR/IAH as exceptions.
I not sure that it happens but it is a reasonable mistake to make. Reading the rules certainly helps.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

Yes, that is where I finally learned it. And I just found that in the last week or two. BUT, I had SPOKEN to umpteen CO AND UA employees over the past few months and NONE of them explained it that way. They ALL just said that CO flights were not upgradable out of Hawaii, as simple as that.

Employees should be able to explain this, without necessitating my rummaging through the web site. Hence, thumbs down.

aloha
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Correct. CO/UA does not provide the complimentary upgrades on IAH-HNL-IAH and EWR-HNL-EWR because these are the BusinessFirst configured aircraft (vice the standard domestic First Class aircraft).

The ORD-HNL-ORD flights are operated with the domestic First Class configured 777's. Those are eligible for complimentary upgrades.

I would suspect that sooner or later (with cross-fleeting), the new CO/UA entity will start flying EWR-HNL-EWR and IAH-HNL-IAH with the domestic First Class configured aircraft (from the UA side).

The BusinessFirst aircraft for the GUM and HNL runs would being to rotate via NRT. Similar to how UA rotates its 3-class 777's on the NRT-HNL run.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this happening for sure? EWR-HNL in a domestic FC seat? It's like a 10 hour flight. Surely that has to be the worst premium seating configuration on the longest flight anywhere in the world.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Is this happening for sure? EWR-HNL in a domestic FC seat? It's like a 10 hour flight. Surely that has to be the worst premium seating configuration on the longest flight anywhere in the world.
If it happens on the IAH-HNL and HNL-IAH routes, then it will be AA from DFW for me for travel to OGG unless I want multiple stops (other than HNL).
Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
Funnily enough, I'm in no rush to fly CO to HNL after I did so at the end of last year. The return flight was COs mediocre F product, but the outbound (SNA-HNL) leg was in coach.

Lengthy flight as this is, I was amazed by the service- the FAs did one drinks/snacks for purchase service, then retreated to the rear galley and put up a curtain to ensure that no PAX would disturb them. 4 hours later, the curtain came down, they did one more drinks service and we landed.

I was working and had to drive, so the lack of extra drinks didn't affect me, but I was pretty underwhelmed by the customer service ethic displayed.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I found the remark by sbm12 interesting as well, especially as he is usually in the know.

Last time flew IAH-HNL, it was in the front cabin of a CO 764. I thought the modified BF service was just fine. And the seat was much better than the domestic F seats UA offers on their 763 and 777 services between the mainland and the islands.

I'll be sad to see the end of the 764 service if this indeed comes to pass. However, I will not be all that surprised to see the UA equipment take over the IAH-HNL and EWR-HNL routes.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:04 pm

It is a hunch, not confirmed, but I'd be surprised if they keep the BF config on that route. UA has their domestic config on HNL-ORD so putting similar to EWR isn't that big a difference.
Originally Posted by clublounger
BUT, I had SPOKEN to umpteen CO AND UA employees over the past few months and NONE of them explained it that way. They ALL just said that CO flights were not upgradable out of Hawaii, as simple as that.
So they all told you that you wouldn't get an upgrade and you were still surprised when you didn't???

Oh, and asking UA employees to explain CO rules (or vv) is definitely a recipe for uncertain results.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by controller1
If it happens on the IAH-HNL and HNL-IAH routes, then it will be AA from DFW for me for travel to OGG unless I want multiple stops (other than HNL).
Yes, my friend, I think our choice will then become clear: The AA Eagle ERJ AEX/LFT to DFW and then the mainline AA 763 DFW-HNL/OGG.

I was wondering what I was going to do with all those BA miles....perhaps I'll now have a use for them.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jlemon
Yes, my friend, I think our choice will then become clear: The AA Eagle ERJ AEX/LFT to DFW and then the mainline AA 763 DFW-HNL/OGG.

I was wondering what I was going to do with all those BA miles....perhaps I'll now have a use for them.
Yep, as I've got over 750,000 AAdvantage miles. That route will be a good use for them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.