Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

An open question to moderators RE: this United consolidated forum

Old Apr 1, 11, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry

And the question is, isn't this a little bit premature?

Yes, the airlines are one company, but wouldn't it be better to wait until "customer day 1" or some point in the future where the company is a little more operationally merged from a customer's perspective?

I was envisioning/hoping at that point you would close the CO forum, or close both forums and start a new one, and then we'd just have one forum going forward.

Now we have three open forums for one airline.. it was already a PITA to have to read and post in 2 forums... now I've got to read and post in 3.. when will I have time to work?

I was just wondering what others thought.
Old Apr 1, 11, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ya know, there is a sticky thread at the top with the answer to this.

Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Welcome to the new United Airlines forum. Here, we will discuss issues related to the integration of Continental and United into a combined airline. While the merger has been approved, it has not yet been finalized. The integration of the airlines and their loyalty programs is well under way, though.

To summarize, please use these three forums as follows:
  • New United forum -- Discussion of items related to the combined post-merger United Airlines and Mileage Plus
  • Legacy United forum -- Discussion of items related to pre-merger United Airlines and Mileage Plus
  • Legacy Continental forum -- Discussion of items related to pre-merger Continental Airlines and OnePass
Old Apr 1, 11, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
I did chuckle a bit when I saw this merged forum. Here we have a merged airline with seperate FF programs, an airline that still can't even show seat maps for each other on the other's web site, and yet we have have a merged forum here...someone here should get a job at the new UA.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 2, 11 at 9:12 am Reason: moved from other thread; more topical here
Old Apr 2, 11, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
Is this "consolidation" a little bit pre-mature?
Old Apr 2, 11, 9:21 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thanks for your questions.

It is true that in the past, forums were often merged only after the merge of the legacy frequent flyer programs. Please know that the legacy CO and UA moderation team has been working together since last fall on how to best serve the members of those forums and we came to the collective deciscion that it would be best to merge the forums sooner than later. One consideration is that there have been a number of announcements about the future airline that imact both CO and UA travellers (see below); it seems clunky at best to try and have conversations in both legacy forums on the same topic. This consolidated forum allows for a single thread in which all can participate. We also encourage the CO and UA forum members to use this new forum to get to know each other; it's likely we'll be seeing each other at checkin lines, lounges, and boarding gates (fighting for the last upgrade, of course) in the days to come.

Hope this helps,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Frequent Flyer Program Changes

26 October 2009 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...scussions.html
16 November 2010 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...m-changes.html
16 November 2010 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...elopments.html
8 March 2011 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tus-tools.html
16 March 2011 - Mileage Plus and OnePass award chart changes – Eff. Jun. 15, 2011

Passenger Experince - Seating

17 February 2011
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...here-stay.html
Old Apr 2, 11, 9:43 am

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
No matter what the mods would have done, someone would have complained. Too late, too soon. Don't people realize there is no one "right" way to do this, not yours, not theirs, not anyone's. As long as there is a reasonably clear way to communicate about the different issues, that's what is needed and that's what we have. Thank you, mods, for taking the time to think about this, learn from previous experience, and not just do everything the same way because it is the easiest way.
Old Apr 2, 11, 6:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Perhaps it is just me and I admit to that, but I cannot figure out where to post now. When I look at this forum (which is the main one that appears) everything is moved/merged/closed already. Giving three forums at once is not very user-friendly imo. On which date does this "big" forum become the only one to pay attention to?
Old Apr 2, 11, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
I can't believe you guys did this. Brutal.
Old Apr 2, 11, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ldsant View Post
Perhaps it is just me and I admit to that, but I cannot figure out where to post now.
Is it really that confusing??

Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
To summarize, please use these three forums as follows:
  • New United forum -- Discussion of items related to the combined post-merger United Airlines and Mileage Plus
  • Legacy United forum -- Discussion of items related to pre-merger United Airlines and Mileage Plus
  • Legacy Continental forum -- Discussion of items related to pre-merger Continental Airlines and OnePass
Old Apr 2, 11, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA - Global Services 1MM; Marriott - Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium; Hertz - President's Circle
So, if the new United forum is specifically for "Discussion of items related to the combined post-merger United Airlines and Mileage Plus" how does having a "The Penatly Box" thread fit in? I've scanned the thread and it appears to have absolutely nothing to do with the stated intent of the new UA forum.
Old Apr 3, 11, 11:47 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vandalby View Post
So, if the new United forum is specifically for "Discussion of items related to the combined post-merger United Airlines and Mileage Plus" how does having a "The Penatly Box" thread fit in? I've scanned the thread and it appears to have absolutely nothing to do with the stated intent of the new UA forum.
I'm confused on this point too - that thread does not seem to fit the mold for what's supposed to be posted in this forum. As such, RBP'd.

Also, if anything, seems that if this forum was created, everything could technically be posted here since the discussion could always apply to forward-looking flights.
Old Apr 3, 11, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
I agree. Patrolling 3 forums is too much work. If you really want to go down the path of combining now on the theory that so many things are relevant to both, then let's just close the subforums and put it all in this one forum with the CO/UA only things clearly marked.

Changes the moderators think we will like. Reminds me of the safety video with changes to the program that Jeff thinks we will like.
Old Apr 3, 11, 12:18 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
First, glad to see the thread unlocked, I couldn't understand the need to lock it down after the OP and just one follow-on post.

What the heck, I'm a glutton for punishment - add me to the list of confused, as well. Yes, I can read the listing of what the mods felt went into each forum, but I'm not seeing the connection in practice and it seems premature. For one thing, the merger is not complete and UA/CO are not one single, solitary entity yet. So, there are still independent airlines and mileage programs, with increasingly similar yet still different, rules, policies, and quirks.

So we're considering "pre-merger" to be up to 31 March 2011, based on...?? What milestone exactly occurred on 01 April? Shouldn't "pre-merger" just be a historical record of the state of things prior to the (complete) merger - and residual issues from events prior to that merger?
Old Apr 3, 11, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold; also AA, DL, and US
First of all, many thanks to the volunteer moderators for all of the time and effort they have been putting into thinking about how to best deal with the merger on FT. There are obviously many ways to do this, and a lot of careful thought was obviously put into the current scheme. However, by re-opening this thread, I gather that the mods are not averse to receiving some additional feedback and suggestions, so here goes.

Having now seen this in action, my personal suggestion would be similar to that of gawhite411 above: to the extent you have taken the bold action of creating a third forum, perhaps it would be easiest to just have all new posts here. People can indicate in the titles whether their message is specific to booking a UA or CO flight. This would not only perhaps cut down on the need to monitor multiple forums, but would have the advantage of cross-education -- i.e., even if I have been flying primarily United, the odds of me getting on a CO flight in the future have increased due to merger-related activities, so it is probably good for me to see some amount of the CO-specific traffic.

The old CO and MP forums could be kept alive, but on an archived basis. Someone posting in the "consolidated" forum could link back to an earlier thread from one of those forums if it is relevant.

This might have the advantage not only of preparing us for the future, but helping us all get a better understanding of the present situation. I'm not sure about the OP forum, but in the MP forum, many of the great master threads contain a lot of information that is now simply out of date. Requiring people to post new messages in a third forum, and only link back to the old threads where relevant, might be the easiest way for a fresh start.

This is coming from the perspective of someone who is fairly new to FT; I'm sure there are others with the benefit of experience with what worked (and didn't work) with previous airline mergers. And the moderators are obviously best placed to determine what works best from a technical perspective. I certainly respect the final decisions of the mods, whatever they may be; there are a lot of potentially competing equities here, and as someone said above, no solution will be perfect for everyone. Thanks for putting so much thought into this though.

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Apr 3, 11 at 1:59 pm Reason: adding specific reference to previous poster
Old Apr 3, 11, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer View Post
First of all, many thanks to the volunteer moderators for all of the time and effort they have been putting into thinking about how to best deal with the merger on FT. There are obviously many ways to do this, and a lot of careful thought was obviously put into the current scheme. However, by re-opening this thread, I gather that the mods are not averse to receiving some additional feedback and suggestions, so here goes.

Having now seen this in action, my personal suggestion would be similar to that of gawhite411 above: to the extent you have taken the bold action of creating a third forum, perhaps it would be easiest to just have all new posts here. People can indicate in the titles whether their message is specific to booking a UA or CO flight. This would not only perhaps cut down on the need to monitor multiple forums, but would have the advantage of cross-education -- i.e., even if I have been flying primarily United, the odds of me getting on a CO flight in the future have increased due to merger-related activities, so it is probably good for me to see some amount of the CO-specific traffic.

The old CO and MP forums could be kept alive, but on an archived basis. Someone posting in the "consolidated" forum could link back to an earlier thread from one of those forums if it is relevant.

This might have the advantage not only of preparing us for the future, but helping us all get a better understanding of the present situation. I'm not sure about the OP forum, but in the MP forum, many of the great master threads contain a lot of information that is now simply out of date. Requiring people to post new messages in a third forum, and only link back to the old threads where relevant, might be the easiest way for a fresh start.

This is coming from the perspective of someone who is fairly new to FT; I'm sure there are others with the benefit of experience with what worked (and didn't work) with previous airline mergers. And the moderators are obviously best placed to determine what works best from a technical perspective. I certainly respect the final decisions of the mods, whatever they may be; there are a lot of potentially competing equities here, and as someone said above, no solution will be perfect for everyone. Thanks for putting so much thought into this though.
+1. Do it this way.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: