Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

An open question to moderators RE: this United consolidated forum

An open question to moderators RE: this United consolidated forum

Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Part of our decision will hinge on when the UA/CO airline operations are truly combined and seamless.
Hmm ... it feels like we're going in circles, with moderators continually restating the theory justifying the original reason for three forums. Forget the theory, for a moment (which was totally valid 12 months ago, and only barely valid last week) -- the reality on the ground is that it's confusing to have 3 places to go that are all actively discussing the same topics. It's actually making it harder for readers to navigate our way through this time of merger.

You must spend quite a bit of time in the UA sub-forum, so you can see that virtually every single topic is also being discussed in the UA MP (Consolidated) forum. It's a bit of a joke.

It's now March 4 -- please emulate the DL/NW forum asap, or start AGGRESSIVELY moving newly-created generic threads into the Consolidated forum, where they belong.

To make this more concrete, here's a list (from the first page alone), of active threads still sitting in the PMUA sub-forum that are in no way specific to PMUA:

- what's the current order for upgrade priority?
- What are the new codes for award/upgrade inventory
- Problems with United Website?
- Experiences on Day 1 -- the New United.com
- Book/Waitlist NC Now or Wait for Until After 3 March Integration?
- If I dont have 128 encryption and a strong cipher, am I screwed?
- What's the latest on extending "2013" GPUs?
- My MP Choices Program Summary is ZERO
- Can I use 2 accounts to pay for trip?

The PMCO sub-forum is no better (although I'm sympathetic to the group that may feel like they're losing their home):

- Wifi / Power Outlets on UA 737-800?
- 1K Buy-Up to F | You win SMI/J. But only this time.
- CO 737-800 seat back TVs?

I can go on... but as long as people can still post in old threads (pics of UA airplanes, reminiscing about days of CO gone by, etc.), I just don't feel like there's any reason to keep letting new threads be created.

Last edited by Strom; Mar 4, 2012 at 7:12 pm Reason: Added specific threads
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Strom
Hmm ... it feels like we're going in circles, with moderators continually restating the theory justifying the original reason for three forums. Forget the theory, for a moment (which was totally valid 12 months ago, and only barely valid last week) -- the reality on the ground is that it's confusing to have 3 places to go that are all actively discussing the same topics. It's actually making it harder for readers to navigate our way through this time of merger.

You must spend quite a bit of time in the UA sub-forum, so you can see that virtually every single topic is also being discussed in the UA MP (Consolidated). It's a bit of a joke.

It's now March 4 -- please emulate the DL/NW forum asap, or start AGGRESSIVELY moving newly-created generic threads into the Consolidated forum, where they belong.

To make this more concrete, here's a list (from the first page alone), of active threads still sitting in the PMUA sub-forum that are in no way specific to pre-merger United:

- what's the current order for upgrade priority?
- What are the new codes for award/upgrade inventory
- Problems with United Website?
- Experiences on Day 1 -- the New United.com
- Book/Waitlist NC Now or Wait for Until After 3 March Integration?
- If I dont have 128 encryption and a strong cipher, am I screwed?
- What's the latest on extending "2013" GPUs?
- My MP Choices Program Summary is ZERO
- Can I use 2 accounts to pay for trip?

The PMCO sub-forum is no better (although I'm sympathetic to the group that may feel like they're losing their home):

- Wifi / Power Outlets on UA 737-800?
- 1K Buy-Up to F | You win SMI/J. But only this time.
- CO 737-800 seat back TVs?

I can go on... but as long as people can still post in old threads (pics of UA airplanes, reminiscing about days of CO gone by, etc.), I just don't feel like there's any reason to keep letting new threads be created.
+1

And I won't hold my breath for seamless operations.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Well, don't be too hasty. In order to merge operations here, I have to imagine there is a whole lot of moderator training that has to go on. I mean PMUA and PMCO mods have to learn to mod using the same processes and procedures! This will take months of prep and training. Then, they will have to have to take the forums offline for several hours while the threads are merged. During that time, we will all have to post new threads via fax machine. Finally, there will be all the post merger issues...thread priority, missing threads, etc., etc. Are you guys sure you really want to go through all that?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by woodway
Well, don't be too hasty. In order to merge operations here, I have to imagine there is a whole lot of moderator training that has to go on. I mean PMUA and PMCO mods have to learn to mod using the same processes and procedures! This will take months of prep and training. Then, they will have to have to take the forums offline for several hours while the threads are merged. During that time, we will all have to post new threads via fax machine. Finally, there will be all the post merger issues...thread priority, missing threads, etc., etc. Are you guys sure you really want to go through all that?
LOTF -- great post !!!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:06 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
And don't forget the many "dress rehearsals" we'll have to conduct before going live
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:38 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
And don't forget the many "dress rehearsals" we'll have to conduct before going live
And could you imagine what we would look like with a dress on...

My eyes!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I suggest members use the Report Post function to alert moderators where a thread should be promoted to the Consolidated forum. I just did that on the IAD-MAD Aer Lingus thread which now applies to the post-merger airline.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by woodway
Not to mention the fact that PMUA moderators will need to switch from Windows to DOS to comply with PMCO moderator standards.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
+1

And I won't hold my breath for seamless operations.
+1

And kudos to all above me for the humorous posts.

We need to consolidate these forums or stop new threads from being posted in the sub forums. It is getting too unwieldy.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:06 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
We certainly want to help members find the answers to their questions quickly and in a manner that makes sense. Certainly, this is a challenge while there are three forums. That being said, I don't think cutting the pre-merger forums off right away is the best thing. I'd favor a gradual phasing out approach and let the members get used to a single, primary forum. I know everyone has lots of questions this week, so I think it's best to be a little lighter on the merging/moving of posts in general.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
We certainly want to help members find the answers to their questions quickly and in a manner that makes sense. Certainly, this is a challenge while there are three forums. That being said, I don't think cutting the pre-merger forums off right away is the best thing. I'd favor a gradual phasing out approach and let the members get used to a single, primary forum. I know everyone has lots of questions this week, so I think it's best to be a little lighter on the merging/moving of posts in general.
Going "light" on the moving just prolongs the problem and keeps members from getting used to the primary forum.

IMO, it's best to just rip the bandaid off. Give everyone a 24 hour notice that no new threads will be allowed in the legacy forums, and get it over with. Pussy-footing around isn't going to make the problem go away.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Going "light" on the moving just prolongs the problem and keeps members from getting used to the primary forum.

IMO, it's best to just rip the bandaid off. Give everyone a 24 hour notice that no new threads will be allowed in the legacy forums, and get it over with. Pussy-footing around isn't going to make the problem go away.
+1. It worked for United, didn't it?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by halls120
+1. It worked for United, didn't it?
IMO, this weekend went a lot smoother than DL/NW or US debacle went.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
They've had over a year to get used to it. The continued allowance of threads in the wrong forums is just creating confusion.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Absolutely. There needs to be immediate action to ensure a single place for new information going forward.

Personally, I think the desire to maintain separate forums is based on misplaced nostalgia and serves no purpose other than to perpetuate the divide between customers who have a strong affinity toward either sCO or sUA.

From an operational and legal perspective, every flight operating today is United Air Lines. While crew members are represented by different unions, Continental only exists as the legal owner of certain aircraft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.