FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   An open question to moderators RE: this United consolidated forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1200961-open-question-moderators-re-united-consolidated-forum.html)

808 Flyer Apr 4, 2011 8:06 pm

Thank you moderators for all of your work. I agree there is no easy way to handle this change, but I have to agree with the others that the current three forums are a bit too much. I would either leave the two forums for now until UACO is really one airline or go ahead and merge eveything.

Just my two cents.

gawhite411 Apr 5, 2011 5:13 am

Well it's pretty clear here what most participants want. It's also clear that there is an element of pride in play here and that the powers that be are utterly intransigent preventing any reconsideration or admission that another way would be superior. Can't admit a mistake. Since they've heavily discussed it among themselves extensively, they know what's best for the masses. Given the absence of any way to overrule them, I suppose we'll just have to solider on until customer day 1.

sbm12 Apr 5, 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by gawhite411 (Post 16162727)
Well it's pretty clear here what most participants want.

You can tell that based on comments from a handful of folks? Quite impressive.

SkiAdcock Apr 5, 2011 7:07 am

Given this just went into effect on Friday & it's only Tuesday & the thread itself only has 33 posts, some of which are by the mods explaining the thought processes, I'm not sure I'm willing to extrapolate that to mean most participants want to be the old way. I figure it will take a few days & people will adjust (including me).

Also, I don't see this as pride or superior or unwilling to admit mistakes. Where did that come from? It's not easy when airlines merge, & I don't envy the mods their jobs in trying to make this work for us. I wasn't part of, but I heard the Delta/Northwest merger wasn't pretty, both in terms of the merger itself & in trying to merge the forums. This new method might be a case of learning from prior experience.

Cheers.

wanaflyforless Apr 5, 2011 11:35 am

My preference would be a single forum at this time, no subforums. Only one place to click and sort through the threads.

bseller Apr 5, 2011 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless (Post 16165046)
My preference would be a single forum at this time, no subforums. Only one place to click and sort through the threads.

+1. ^
Dave

hobo13 Apr 5, 2011 4:49 pm

I prefer to pretend as long as possible that the merger isn't happening.

mduell Apr 5, 2011 6:12 pm

Continued, open pre-merger forums is silly. Just throw all UACO in the same playpen already. Should have done it the day the merger was approved.

UAAAPeter Apr 5, 2011 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 16143391)
And the question is, isn't this a little bit premature?

Yes, the airlines are one company, but wouldn't it be better to wait until "customer day 1" or some point in the future where the company is a little more operationally merged from a customer's perspective?

I was envisioning/hoping at that point you would close the CO forum, or close both forums and start a new one, and then we'd just have one forum going forward.

Now we have three open forums for one airline.. it was already a PITA to have to read and post in 2 forums... now I've got to read and post in 3.. when will I have time to work? :D

I was just wondering what others thought.

I think it is the dumbest idea in quite a while. The thing is that these two programs are still separate and offer quite different benefits many times. This makes it tough to figure out what is what. Actually I have had it with UA/CO over all this stuff. If I hear Smiley or whatever his name is telling me once more how I am going to like it then I am going to jump off the plane in mid air. I want him to tell me what I am going to like instead of platitudes. For sure I don't like their fares which are now horribly uncompetitive. Anyway, I got comped to DL Pt and bought my first ticket of the year last night. It's flat out to Pt proper on DL from now on.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 16149739)
Is it really that confusing??

:confused:

In a word, "YES" :mad:

Grace B Apr 6, 2011 2:12 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz (Post 16145387)
I did chuckle a bit when I saw this merged forum. Here we have a merged airline with seperate FF programs, an airline that still can't even show seat maps for each other on the other's web site, and yet we have have a merged forum here...someone here should get a job at the new UA. ;)

I think they do have.

gawhite411 Apr 6, 2011 3:44 am

Originally Posted by UAAAPeter (Post 16168201)
In a word, "YES" :mad:

Don't engage the cyber bully. If you disagree with him, your dissent will be marginalized.

DawgmanOH Apr 6, 2011 6:02 am

Here's an example of what is frustrating (to me) about this setup:

We now have THREE threads all discussing the US Airways $259 Club special going on right now:

(1) United Pre-Merger
(2) Continental Pre-Merger
(3) United Consolidated

This is, to me, quite silly and would be alleviated by the proposal earlier in this thread only to allow posting new threads to the United Merged forum.

It is a simple fix and would streamline things quickly, IMHO.

MBM3 Apr 6, 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH (Post 16169459)
Here's an example of what is frustrating (to me) about this setup:

We now have THREE threads all discussing the US Airways $259 Club special going on right now:

(1) United Pre-Merger
(2) Continental Pre-Merger
(3) United Consolidated

This is, to me, quite silly and would be alleviated by the proposal earlier in this thread only to allow posting new threads to the United Merged forum.

It is a simple fix and would streamline things quickly, IMHO.

This is a great candidate for the combined forum. Please feel free to use the Report Bad Post functionality to suggest the same to the moderator team. This also applies to other threads that are potential candidates for a move.

MBM3 Apr 6, 2011 9:07 am

As for the snarky comments by some users who believe they speak for everyone, we as a group ran through ALL of the options for combining the legacy forums and through hours of discussion came to the conclusion that a gentle transition to a new "United" forum would be most efficient and least disruptive to the community. Simply put, trying to make it happen on Customer Day 1 of the combined operating certificate would be a nightmare for both the members of the community as well as the volunteer moderators.

MBM3 Apr 6, 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by gawhite411 (Post 16169106)
Don't engage the cyber bully. If you disagree with him, your dissent will be marginalized.

Rather than delete this post for being quite off topic, I thought it would be a great time to address this negative perspective. The moderator team is in full favor of constructive discussion surrounding the questions, issues, concerns and suggestions for UACO. Quite often these discussions are very informative and thought provoking. But let me be quite clear, this dialog must be balanced, polite and respectful or we will need to enforce the T&Cs of the FlyerTalk community.