Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mnmag
Thanks! I have a separate issue w/a rez booked on CO in Dec w/mixed metal. I called UA to get seat assignments (as I wasn't able to 'see' the seating chart on .bomb even w/the UA PNR#), and I asked the agent if I am eligible for UDU, to which he responded 'yes'. Well, I don't believe this is true, as my rez is showing the seat assignments, but no 'pending' msg.! So, I guess I need to call back & figure out what the issue is!
CO metal flights have a different upgrade system and does not use the "pending" concept. And the seatmap issue if fairly standard.

Remember these are still two separate airlines with some common features but far from a fully integrated single airline. The policies are still based on the operator and not the flight numbers or who sold you the ticket.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Is there a reason to use one FF# instead of another?

I also have a "mixed metal" question, though I am not sure if it qualifies as simple or not.

I am likely to be booking a "mixed metal" CO/UA flight soon, likely ticketed through CO. I have used the online tool to match my UA status on CO. I am wondering if it matters in any way at all which frequent flyer number I use with my reservation.

I guess this is a two-part question. The first part is about the effect of the status match -- if I just type in my UA number, will Continental's system automatically recognize me as a CO Silver?

Second part is whether this matters -- at this point in time, is there any benefit to be gained by being a CO elite on CO metal, vs UA elite on CO metal? The only benefit I have perceived reading this forum has to do with upgrade order on domestic flights; however, my flight is international so that won't matter to me.

Sorry if my question is confusing; thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
CO metal flights have a different upgrade system and does not use the "pending" concept. And the seatmap issue if fairly standard.

Remember these are still two separate airlines with some common features but far from a fully integrated single airline. The policies are still based on the operator and not the flight numbers or who sold you the ticket.
I am a 'legacy' CO flyer, so am fairly familiar w/the EUA system, my queries here concerns the UA UDU system. It sounds like there are some system quirks when one has a mixed metal itinerary booked on CO. I was able to book seats on UA metal w/the UA PNR on itineraries that I booked after I got my 1K status match, just not the one that I had booked last Dec.!

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
I also have a "mixed metal" question, though I am not sure if it qualifies as simple or not.

I am likely to be booking a "mixed metal" CO/UA flight soon, likely ticketed through CO. I have used the online tool to match my UA status on CO. I am wondering if it matters in any way at all which frequent flyer number I use with my reservation.

I guess this is a two-part question. The first part is about the effect of the status match -- if I just type in my UA number, will Continental's system automatically recognize me as a CO Silver?

Second part is whether this matters -- at this point in time, is there any benefit to be gained by being a CO elite on CO metal, vs UA elite on CO metal? The only benefit I have perceived reading this forum has to do with upgrade order on domestic flights; however, my flight is international so that won't matter to me.

Sorry if my question is confusing; thanks in advance for any guidance.
First of all, you should read through the thread about merging accounts here.
Then you can proceed to get your status matched on CO.

You can decide whether your future flight plans call for travel more on CO or UA metal, and decide which will offer the more useful benefits, in selecting which airline to designate for your bennies like SWUs & CR-1s. From what I have read, it's best to use your CO OP# on CO metal & your UA MP# on UA metal --so that you will benefit from your respective status on those airlines for upgrade purposes.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 10, 2011 at 11:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
So I get a letter today saying my CO miles will expire,
Really?!?!?

CO has historically made a big deal of not expiring accounts, even if they are dormant. Their website still says as much:
Miles currently have no expiry date; however, Continental Airlines reserves the right to impose expiry limits or terminate the OnePass program, thus terminating your ability to claim rewards.
What does the letter actually say?

No, but it will recognize you as a 2P. If you want to be recognized as a CO Silver then you must use that number in the reservation.

Probably doesn't matter in this case; as you note, the EUA isn't happening anyways.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 11, 2011 at 10:46 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:19 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by sbm12
Really?!?!?

CO has historically made a big deal of not expiring accounts, even if they are dormant. Their website still says as much:

What does the letter actually say?
Chalk one up for me being stupid...I didn't read the letter...It said if I wanted to order magazines...that's what I get for browsing something quickly and then coming here...
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
No, but it will recognize you as a 2P. If you want to be recognized as a CO Silver then you must use that number in the reservation.

Probably doesn't matter in this case; as you note, the EUA isn't happening anyways.
Thanks so much for addressing both of my questions!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Can I use CO drink coupons on a United flight?

I have CO coupons but not any UA coupons, Can I use them on my segments
that are United metal?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sanFF
I have CO coupons but not any UA coupons, Can I use them on my segments
that are United metal?
Officially, yes. The FAs may say no and then you're at their mercy to try to convince them that they're wrong, but the company policy is that they are interchangeable now across both carriers.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:34 pm

Flying on an X fare ticket from IAD -> EZE. Booked through Continental but UA 2P (no status on Continental, just CC miles). Can I get econ plus on the way there with my 2p status?

The return leg is EZE -> IAH -> DCA. Any shot at an exit-row seat?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by airteacher1
Flying on an X fare ticket from IAD -> EZE. Booked through Continental but UA 2P (no status on Continental, just CC miles). Can I get econ plus on the way there with my 2p status? ...
UA/CO elites have E+ access on paid or award tickets.
BTW you may want to consider a status match to CO Silver -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tus-tools.html

Originally Posted by airteacher1
....The return leg is EZE -> IAH -> DCA. Any shot at an exit-row seat?
On UA metal only day of travel if still available.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
As as UA 1K matched status to CO Platinum. Is there a difference between a CO 75,000 mile Plat and a 100,000 mile Plat? Real question is in the upgrade queue on a CO flight will I be ahead of 75,000 mile CO Plats?

Also, what does this mean:
(there was no link or other information anywhere I could find)

Here's you OnePass statement email:
2011 Platinum Elite XXXXXXX
lili
Progress to 2012 Silver Elite

You are $30,000 away from achieving 2011 Presidential Platinum Elite™ status.

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by lili
As as UA 1K matched status to CO Platinum. Is there a difference between a CO 75,000 mile Plat and a 100,000 mile Plat? Real question is in the upgrade queue on a CO flight will I be ahead of 75,000 mile CO Plats?....
There is no different in waitlist priorities between 75K/100K Plats. On CO metal all Plats>1Ks. So as a 1K matched to Plat, you will be in the same status level as all Plats.

all 75K folks (based on combined EQMs if status matched) start earning CR1s in the program of there choice and at 100K start earning SWUs.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), BA Gold (OWE)
I did a search for similar questions, but nothing really answered my specific query. I am planning on flying a mixed itinerary of UA and CO in which a CO flight connects to a UA flight. I have already status matched, so my UA 1P is now also CO Gold. Since I want the best shot at an upgrade, I am wondering whether it is possible to get my UA number put onto the UA flight and my CO number onto the CO flight, so that I have the best possible priority at upgrades clearing at their respective times days before the flight. If it matters, the flights in question are CLE-SFO (CO) connecting onto UA to LAS. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by RudderDucky
I did a search for similar questions, but nothing really answered my specific query. I am planning on flying a mixed itinerary of UA and CO in which a CO flight connects to a UA flight. I have already status matched, so my UA 1P is now also CO Gold. Since I want the best shot at an upgrade, I am wondering whether it is possible to get my UA number put onto the UA flight and my CO number onto the CO flight, so that I have the best possible priority at upgrades clearing at their respective times days before the flight. If it matters, the flights in question are CLE-SFO (CO) connecting onto UA to LAS. Thanks in advance.
yes a lot of folks have been thinking about this mixed metal upgrade situation. Believe one poster claimed they were able to get different FF accounts on different segments BUT to the best of my knowledge (and others) you can have only one FF account attached to a reservation (PNR) at a time.
So given only one, I would go for the CO OP number since CLE-SFO is the longer flight and probably the harder upgrade.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Officially, yes. The FAs may say no and then you're at their mercy to try to convince them that they're wrong, but the company policy is that they are interchangeable now across both carriers.
Is there a place on either website that I can point the dingbat CSR to? I just got off the phone and the person insisted that I am not allowed to use a cert on a UA/CO combined metal ticket.

By the time I fly next month the plane might have already been repainted and say "United" on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.