Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I'm booked in S class for a HNL-EWR nonstop in October. I have GPUs expiring in November, so I called and asked if I could use a GPU for that flight. I was told that a GPU could be used only in W class or higher, but that the flight is eligible for CPUs and RPUs. That makes no sense at all to me. A GPU is clearly worth more than an RPU -- or at least it was under the old United rules. If I'm willing to use a more valuable instrument to upgrade a flight, shouldn't the answer be yes? United should be pleased to see me burn a valuable GPU on a domestic flight. But no, it can't be done. I thought the first agent just didn't understand, so I politely ended the call and called back. The second agent said the same thing. It just seems so stupid. I know that I often used expiring SWUs on domestic flights pre-merger. Not any more.

Bruce
Old May 13, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I'm booked in S class for a HNL-EWR nonstop in October. I have GPUs expiring in November, so I called and asked if I could use a GPU for that flight. I was told that a GPU could be used only in W class or higher, but that the flight is eligible for CPUs and RPUs.
Keep calling. See this chart:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...t.aspx#regions

Doesn't the website let you use a GPU?

christian
Old May 13, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: United Gold
I wonder how long it will take for the official policy to filter down to the phone agents. I guess I don't understand very large companies. Couldn't they just send a memo to everyone or something?
Old May 13, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chris1234
Keep calling. See this chart:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...t.aspx#regions

Doesn't the website let you use a GPU?
Simply unbelievable. How can United's customer service be so bad?

Bruce
Old May 13, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
[QUOTE=love_to_travel;18560153]I'm traveling alone, but would like to sponsor as many FlyerTalk members into the lounges as possible. So I think for the three business lounges I can sponsor 2, and the three first class lounges I can sponsor 1, for a total of 9

OK, I thought this might be your objective. The UC rules (and many of the other airline lounges) state that you're supposed to accompany your guests, but I have sponsored someone and left him in the lounge, and I;ve seen others do it too and I haven't seen anyone get challenged over it. Unless you give your guests a big group hug goodbye right in front of the reception personnel, nobody is likely to notice that you've left and your guests are still there. And like Wine Country said, the lounges don't communicate with one another.
Old May 14, 2012, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by redwoman
Unless you give your guests a big group hug goodbye right in front of the reception personnel, nobody is likely to notice that you've left and your guests are still there.
Gotcha, no big group hugs on club departure

If I don't get enough FlyerTalk requests, I'm planning on roaming NRT looking for uniformed military or maybe even some random passengers (how do you say "I can bring two guests to the lounge, would you like to come?" in Japanese?) It's going to be a blast!
Old May 14, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
You might get weird looks if you have stamp on your BP indicating you've been to the other clubs already. I've done this on a smaller scale before and print extra BPs at one of the kiosks, just in case. As others up thread mentioned, there is no communication between the lounges...

Have fun!
Old May 14, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
I have a flight from NRT-ORD that hasn't posted yet, though the other flights on the same ticket have. The missing-mileage web form says miles from the tickets have already posted. So I emailed [email protected] and [email protected].

1. How long should I wait for a response? I know they're swamped, but does that mean days or weeks or months?

2. When should I give up and call? Or is there a better approach to take?

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2012, 10:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rafatmit
I have a flight from NRT-ORD that hasn't posted yet, though the other flights on the same ticket have. The missing-mileage web form says miles from the tickets have already posted. So I emailed [email protected] and [email protected].

1. How long should I wait for a response? I know they're swamped, but does that mean days or weeks or months? ...
at least weeks
was there anything odd / special about the missing leg -- upgraded, delayed, ....

..... 2. When should I give up and call? Or is there a better approach to take?...
I would allow 3-4 weeks and if not resolved then call the MPSC.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
at least weeks
was there anything odd / special about the missing leg -- upgraded, delayed, ....
Several things: I switched flights at check-in using the iPhone app; it was upgraded from Business to First with miles/copay; and I misconnected to the subsequent domestic flight due to delays at ORD customs, so it's possible they think I no-showed to the international flight as well.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Several things: I switched flights at check-in using the iPhone app; it was upgraded from Business to First with miles/copay; and I misconnected to the subsequent domestic flight due to delays at ORD customs, so it's possible they think I no-showed to the international flight as well.
given the number of irregulaities, suspect you may need to call -- but I would give it a couple of weeks.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:32 am

Why is United Mileage Posting So Slow?

I am a long time United MP Premier member and flew 6 days ago and not seen any miles in my MP account, yet. I flew United metal IAD - LAX - IAD. Why is it taking so long?
Old May 14, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by N93109
I am a long time United MP Premier member and flew 6 days ago and not seen any miles in my MP account, yet. I flew United metal IAD - LAX - IAD. Why is it taking so long?
Why ???? but it is what it is. you are far from alone, I similar have flights that are slow in posting ( 6, 4, & 3 days presently).

Back to the why -- suspect there are still issues in the underlying systems post system integration and lots of manual intervention is still required. Particular seems any flight that had any unusual activity is particularily likely to have issues.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
given the number of irregulaities, suspect you may need to call -- but I would give it a couple of weeks.
Thanks. One final question to be clear: Do you mean you'd give it a couple weeks for the email to work, or a couple weeks after the flight? The flight was a month ago and I just got around to emailing a few days ago.
Old May 14, 2012, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by BankerManUSA
I've done this on a smaller scale before and print extra BPs at one of the kiosks, just in case.
Thanks for the tip BankerManUSA, I'm going to print lots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.