Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Old Apr 16, 12, 4:36 pm
  #2011  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SFO, BDL
Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Posts: 963
Originally Posted by oblisk View Post
If I buy an international ticket, on a flight with RN availability. Then Spend the Miles+CoPay to upgrade from Economy to BuisnessFirst will my upgrade be automatically processed or will I have to wait until t-24h as a silver member?
Once your ticketed, it should be automatic (though you may need to call in to get it processed).
USFdonWill is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 5:30 pm
  #2012  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 279
Hi everyone. Does anyone know how much time it takes for miles from an alliance flight (US air) to post in your account? I flew about a week ago and so far haven't seen it posted yet.

Thanks!
accrue450 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 5:37 pm
  #2013  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SFO, BDL
Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Posts: 963
Originally Posted by accrue450 View Post
Hi everyone. Does anyone know how much time it takes for miles from an alliance flight (US air) to post in your account? I flew about a week ago and so far haven't seen it posted yet.

Thanks!
I would give it at least another week
USFdonWill is offline  
Old Apr 16, 12, 5:45 pm
  #2014  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 279
Awesome thanks. Didn't realize it takes so long as my United flights post in like two days. Guess alliance flights are slow.
accrue450 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 7:16 am
  #2015  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GSO
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 755
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Welcome to FT, EconoFF! The sticky thread at the head of this forum is a font of wisdom, you might enjoy taking a look at it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

You could potentially get an award to NZ with Star Alliance member Air New Zealand (ANZ) using United points. ANZ doesn't have a first class but their business class is excellent.
I've tried searching for this answer, but it looks like the United FAQ is still very much a work in progress.

I previously had my united.bomb profile set to Expert mode and could do dummy bookings to see available upgrade space (in either NC or NF class). With the new united.CO site, I'm having trouble figuring it out.

I do have a subscription to KVS, but the old list of booking codes doesn't seem to match up.

Specifically, I'm looking at a segment this Friday, 4/20 from RDU-IAD (UA 3790). KVS shows the following availability:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.8/Diamond - ITA: Awards-Upgrades/UA]
Code:
RDU  Raleigh Durham NC US [KRDU]
IAD  Washington Dulles Intl DC US [KIAD]
FRI  20 Apr 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UA/YV      3790    RDU   17:35     IAD   18:43     CR7      F3 A3 JN3 Z3 ZN3 P3 PN3 R3 RN3 IN3 I3 Y7 YN7 B7 M7 E7 U7 H6 HN6 Q6 V6 W6 S5 T4 L4 K2 G1 N1 XN2 X1
I was under the impression that X is now for Economy (Saver) Awards and that XN is now additional Economy (Saver) Awards for Premiers, but on the old list of booking codes, X mentions that it is the equivalent to NF.

Essentially, I'm wondering where I should be looking for an upgrade from a paid Economy fare into First (using RPU or GPU, and where I think UDU will also clear into).
tmm1012 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 7:41 am
  #2016  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1P (1k ain't what it used to be)
Posts: 377
I've been posting in here a lot lately it seems.

on International BusinessFirst Routes, what bucket is the upgrade availability bucket? RN, JN or ZN?
oblisk is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 8:35 am
  #2017  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,210
Originally Posted by tmm1012 View Post
I was under the impression that X is now for Economy (Saver) Awards and that XN is now additional Economy (Saver) Awards for Premiers,
This is correct.

Originally Posted by tmm1012 View Post
Essentially, I'm wondering where I should be looking for an upgrade from a paid Economy fare into First (using RPU or GPU, and where I think UDU will also clear into).
R.

Originally Posted by oblisk View Post
on International BusinessFirst Routes, what bucket is the upgrade availability bucket? RN, JN or ZN?
R.

RN isn't really in use yet per UA Insider.

More discussion on fare buckets here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html and here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...he-new-united/.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 10:29 am
  #2018  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SEA, OGG(I wish)
Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,238
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
This is correct.

R.


R.

RN isn't really in use yet per UA Insider.

More discussion on fare buckets here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html and here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...he-new-united/.
Assuming that our wait-listed June SYD flight confirms w/ GPU, that'll exhaust our supply of GPUs for the year. That said, for additional international flights looking at Miles+Copay. The relevant(?) upgrade chart seems to be preMerger or maybe I'm reading it wrong. Anyhow, under the new regime,*what* fare buckets are TPAC-upgradeable w/ Miles+Copay. So where to start search? Would appreciate advice. For example, use the GreaseMonkey bucket script or just start from scratch w/ lowest fare?
BH62 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 10:39 am
  #2019  
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 12,931
Arrow

Originally Posted by tmm1012 View Post
I do have a subscription to KVS, but the old list of booking codes doesn't seem to match up.

Specifically, I'm looking at a segment this Friday, 4/20 from RDU-IAD (UA 3790). KVS shows the following availability:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.8/Diamond - ITA: Awards-Upgrades/UA]
Code:
RDU  Raleigh Durham NC US [KRDU]
IAD  Washington Dulles Intl DC US [KIAD]
FRI  20 Apr 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UA/YV      3790    RDU   17:35     IAD   18:43     CR7      F3 A3 JN3 Z3 ZN3 P3 PN3 R3 RN3 IN3 I3 Y7 YN7 B7 M7 E7 U7 H6 HN6 Q6 V6 W6 S5 T4 L4 K2 G1 N1 XN2 X1
Please see the current UA Booking Classes table at http://Help.KVSTool.com/#UA
KVS is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 10:50 am
  #2020  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,210
Originally Posted by BH62 View Post
Anyhow, under the new regime,*what* fare buckets are TPAC-upgradeable w/ Miles+Copay. So where to start search? Would appreciate advice. For example, use the GreaseMonkey bucket script or just start from scratch w/ lowest fare?
All fares can be upgraded with Cash+Miles, with the costs varying based on the route and the fare bucket. The easiest way to get the numbers specific to your particular trip is to use the interactive award chart and choose the upgrade tab after choosing the travel regions.

For GPU-eligible fare searches I did build a GreaseMonkey script to help out. Details on that can be found here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...swuable-fares/.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 12:52 pm
  #2021  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 332
Question for y'all: I had a checked back get damaged on an IAH-MIA flight on UA, but I didn't notice until I got to the hotel. (A handle got ripped off.) I should have called UA right as I discovered the problem, but for whatever dumb reason I didn't.

Anyway I've since returned to IAH, and on checking the bag on the MIA-IAH leg, I had to sign a waiver on the claim tag noting that UA received the bag as damaged in MIA.

Do I have any chance of calling up UA and claim a damaged bag on my original IAH-MIA leg, or am I just out of luck since I've already made the return trip? I'm willing to chalk this up to a "lesson learned", but I'm curious to see how the FT UA veterans would handle this.
Jake Gittes is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:08 pm
  #2022  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,210
You waited too long to report it. You're out of luck IMO.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 2:33 pm
  #2023  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GSO
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 755
Great - thanks for the info, sbm12 and KVS!
tmm1012 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 3:53 pm
  #2024  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 25
Flying from LAX to MAD via IAD on Aer Lingus.

Upgraded to business class with United miles on the IAD to MAD portion. Itinerary shows no meal for a flight that leaves at 5:40pm and gets in at 7:30 am local time.

Is this accurate? Anyone fly that route recently?
SpookJF is offline  
Old Apr 18, 12, 3:55 pm
  #2025  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northeast Kansas | Colorado Native
Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,511
Originally Posted by SpookJF View Post
Flying from LAX to MAD via IAD on Aer Lingus.

Upgraded to business class with United miles on the IAD to MAD portion. Itinerary shows no meal for a flight that leaves at 5:40pm and gets in at 7:30 am local time.

Is this accurate? Anyone fly that route recently?
The meal codes have been inaccurate on the majority of flights. You should receive dinner and breakfast.
FriendlySkies is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread